===[COMMITTED]=== Achaemenid Siege

LordGood

Alrighty, I think the Assyrian broom bus needs some edits; the action of the ram is a bit odd, and I've been staring at this relief for a few hours and hypothesizing. Does it really move up and down, or does it's swing pivot on a high point, allowing it to hit at an upward angle?

Assyrian_battering_ram.jpgAssyrianBroomBus.png

It would need to move less material, and more importantly, move it away from the ram itself. If anything it'd give the ram a more involved model and more dynamic animations than it already has.

Also, perhaps we could explore tunneling and counter-tunneling in this thread, as the general siege tactic of most civilizations at the time was to clear the walls with archers or slingers, and then proceed to mine the walls.

• Like 5

The animation looks a bit too vivid for me. I think it would cause a lot of effort to get the beam to move, and it certainly won't stop swinging that quickly.

Here's an annoyingly narrated video, but it shows some nice pictures IMO. Pretty much what you designed.

I like the battering motion. Very good job! Are new model smaller than old model though? I liked how big the Assyrian Ram was. Don't forget about player color.

Also, would be cool for two models: One all wood, then upgrade to extra armor! Can do this in tech with actor swap! :)

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

15 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I like the battering motion. Very good job! Are new model smaller than old model though? I liked how big the Assyrian Ram was. Don't forget about player color.

Also, would be cool for two models: One all wood, then upgrade to extra armor! Can do this in tech with actor swap! :)

yeah that why I ask about if these are decorated  in the top, but if isn't... free license artistic.

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

What, you didn't notice? haha

Don't mind that thing in blender, there's an odd size discrepancy that isn't affected by display scale, strangely. It's actually the same size as it was before.

screenshot0026.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Imarok said:

Sorry for asking, but will this be implemented in the main game?

The battering motion is very jarring with the current attack cycle. After I make another quicker, shallower motion I'll commit it to the SVN. I'll update here when that happens.

• Like 1

You can alter the attack time for the battering ram (if you also alter the damage it deals, so it overall deals the same damage per time). But I indeed think that the fade-in and fade-out won't work on our game. Attacks just happen repeatedly and shouldn't fade in-between.