Faction: Byzantines

niektb

22 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

if mod will cover from 500 to 1000 and from 1000 to 1500 (IIRC) then soon or later it will end having a 4th phase ending medieval thats what makes the difference between 0 AD or Terra magna and this mod, maybe xiongnu could end being Mongols or Huns with changes on phases (structures and units too) depending on the player selection (two choises to make in the player selection just like Delenda Est mod) if a mod take places from the Han Xiongnu war to the Genghis Khan or Attila era.
I'm glad you made the player colour of the full armor i was struggling to make only the white line become alpha channel so if its okay for everyone it will end better than before and more recognizable in a battle :P.

Xiongnu>Huns>Avars>Turks>Mongols.

The Byzantines fielded various types of light cavalry to complement their Kataphraktos, in much the same way as the Romans employed auxiliary light infantry to augment their armoured infantry legionaries. Due to the empire's long experience, they were wary of relying too much upon foreign auxiliaries or mercenaries (with the notable exception of the Varangian Guard). Imperial armies usually comprised mainly citizens and loyal subjects. The decline of the Byzantine military during the 11th century is parallel to the decline of the peasant-soldier, which led to the increased use of unreliable mercenaries.

Light cavalry were primarily used for scouting, skirmishing and screening against enemy scouts and skirmishers. They were also useful for chasing enemy light cavalry, who were too fast for the Cataphracts. Light cavalry were more specialized than the Cataphracts, being either archers and horse slingers (psiloi hippeutes) or lancers and mounted Javelineers. The types of light cavalry used, their weapons, armour and equipment and their origins, varied depending upon the time and circumstances. In the 10th century military treatise On Skirmishing explicit mention is made of Expilatores, a Latin word which meant "robber" or "plunderer" but which is used to define a type of mounted scout or light raider. Also mentioned in descriptions of army- or thematic-level light cavalry are trapezites, "those whom the Armenians call tasinarioi", who "should be sent out constantly to charge down on the lands of the enemy, cause harm and ravage them." [3] Indeed, the word tasinarioi may be the linguistic ancestor to the modern word Hussar.

If the need for light cavalry became great enough, Constantinople would raise additional Toxotai, provide them with mounts and train them as Hippo-toxotai. When they did employ foreign light horsemen, the Byzantines preferred to recruit from steppe nomad tribes such as the Sarmatians, Scythians, Pechenegs, Khazars or Cumans. On occasion, they recruited from their enemies, such as the Bulgars, Avars, Magyars or Seljuk Turks. The Armenians were also noted for their light horsemen, the tasinarioi.

• Like 1

Image result for avars siege

Roman – Persian War of 572–591
The Roman armies faced a major war with the Persian Empire in the east.  At the same time they face invasion in the Balkans by the Avars, the invasion of Italy by the Lombards and a North African war against the Berbers

The Roman Empire faced a thousand years plus of endless waves militaristic barbarian invasions including Huns, various Gothic tribes, Arabs, Bulgars and Turks.  The 6th century saw the newest barbarian tribe to threaten the Empire - the Avars.

The Avars were a group of equestrian warrior nomads who established an empire spanning considerable areas of Central and Eastern Europe from the late 6th to the early 9th century. They were ruled by a Khagan, who led a tight-knit entourage of professional nomad warriors.
Image result for avars siege

11walls%20of%20byzantium%20-%20article1.jpg

So many historians fail to understand the unbelievable military and economic pressure the Eastern Roman Empire was under from constant invasions.

Simply, the barbarian invasions never ended.  They just kept coming over and over.  The massive military expense of wars drained the Empire dry.  Virtually all available funds were spent just to survive leaving little for building projects.

A major consideration is what I call the "de-Latinization" of the Empire.  With every barbarian thrust over the border you saw the destruction of Roman peoples, towns, cities, infrastructure and the economy.  Lands lost to the Empire meant a loss of taxes paid to Constantinople as well as recruiting grounds for soldiers to defend the state.

Every day was a nightmare.  -  Historians tend to write about a single Eastern Roman battle with no thought given to an Empire wide view

Looks  funny to play.

Image result for so barbaric

http://byzantinemilitary.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-siege-of-sirmium-and-invasion-of.html

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Haha 1

On 25/4/2018 at 1:31 PM, Alexandermb said:

Well there you got, you have some to choose.

Hide contents

image.png.628c4cf290ee2e3d3ec16105aa63dfe5.png

me gustaria que se usaran los 4 vamos no todo era igual y que haya variedad le da un buen aspecto por lo menos que sean 2 diferentes , pero mis favoritos son de izquierda a derecha el primero y el cuarto

Edited by tlauick_19

On 25/4/2018 at 11:57 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

Image result for belisarius army

Image result for byzantine armies

i like those walls, it could help having a colour pallete for the structure and i'll make the base textures (later changes will be made if needed but at least for having the base of the civ) assuming it will end being slightly orange with beigh, but also could help how was their structure design (walls shapes, if they used bricks or stones, floors, if they somehow used wood if the bricks or stones where widely spread or thight enough like nowadays bricks).

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Definitely need the horizontal stripe motif.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Walls_of_Constantinople

i'll try to get that looking i've just started to test the bakings. (This is a test still WIP) They have several tones of bricks i will make a whole texture just for the walls and windows/doors and leave another texture X1024 - Y512 for roof i'm don't want to end making a wall ie of 100 meters and the texture is only for 20 meters ending with 5 times the same texture.

Spoiler

image.png.2d5f02c57732dba57e83f959fa1cdbc4.pngbyz_struct.thumb.png.363218ce2289d0b2b6b4d19aca3c942c.png

if wondering why this tone is because of this building, was the first i found around the timeframe wich enough vision of the walls details.

Spoiler

image.png.8943fc1d636c30c73da436132017d7f1.png

• Stan` pinned this topic