0 AD Buildings as Pixel Art

Andrettin

I've commissioned an artist (Jinn) to modify a render of 0 AD's Roman Forum to look more like pixel art in style (for my open-source 2D RTS, Wyrmsun), and I thought you guys could find the results interesting:

forum.png

As you can see, he also did an under-construction frame based on the final structure. Perhaps that can be useful to you as a concept if you do under-construction graphics for the buildings later on.

And here's a screenshot of how the forum looks like in-game:

screen_roman_forum.png

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

The very interesting implementing of 0AD buildings, there is the question: why buildings have different angle? Ins't it worse for perfectionists? :)

Thanks :) About the angle, it's because of the building height. The gameplay uses a top-down tile grid, and building graphics should preferentially remain inside the tile boundaries they occupy gameplay-wise, and we want to use a tilted view for the graphics rather than top-down so that more of the buildings and units can be seen by the player. For that reason the Roman Forum, since it is relatively tall, works better in that 60 degree angle. For the other buildings, Jinn modeled them in Google Sketch-Up and then modified the angle until he felt it fit well; and then worked on the rendered result pixel by pixel to get the final graphics.

• Like 3