Same Internet Connection Multiplayer Problem

Money93

I have been trying to host a game to my friend for hours, but we could not make it work. We both have alpha 19 version and using the same internet connection but when i host a game he can't join. After a long wait, game says 'Lost connection to the server - Reason: Unknown Reason'.

What should we do?

Unfortunately, the multiplayer lobby doesn't support pure LAN games. :(

You can host LAN games by using the 0 A.D. Multiplayer host and join game dialog, with the clients entering in the internal IP of the host.

Alternatively, you can forward the port UDP 20595 to point to the host's computer and be able to host in the multiplayer lobby.

• Like 1

The lobby (aka the chat where you meet other players to set up a game) doesn't support LAN games, but the main game does support LAN.

You only need to meet players in another way (which shouldn't be hard, since LAN is local), let the host host the game (via Multiplayer -> host game) and let the others join the game by inputting the host's IP address under Multiplayer -> join game.

Maybe I don't use the right words. Are you really talking about two computers with an ethernet cable to link them ? So by Host's IP, are you talking about the LAN IP (like 192.168.x.x), not a public IP ? Because I tried this way and wasn't able to set up a connection between two computers.

I gave him my IP number, we have tried without lobby, but it did not work, same error occured everytime we tried. We are not using any cable, we are just connected to the same wifi.

And how does this ' UDP 20595 ' work? Can you explain it to me?

@sanderd17:There was no router, as I said, just a "cross" ethernet cable and two computers. Surely, I temporarily turned off both firewalls (there was no access to internet anyway). I understand it is system specific and there could be many reason to prevent the connection. It was a few month ago. I can't try again for a few days or weeks, for technical reasons. But I'll try again soon. If you say it works, it should work.

7 hours ago, Money93 said:

And how does this ' UDP 20595 ' work?

UDP is the type of connection used to send and receive data, and 20595 is the port used on the computer to send/receive this kind of data. Is it used to set up the firewall. If you don't use a firewall at all, or if your modem/router/NAT isn't configured to block any connection, don't care about it. But if you use a firewall or NAT filtering, go in its settings, and add a new rule like [allow protocol UDP on port 20595], in both directions if you're not sure (ie. outcoming and incoming) or for testing purposes. But I suppose both direction for host, and outcoming for client should be enough, if I am right. Can you confirm it sanderd17 ? Thanks.

@AtlasMapper, I've never tried it with a cross ethernet cable. Can you reach other ports with that configuration you have (f.e. a web server). Otherwise you should probably have a router in between (doesn't matter if that router is connected to the internet or not).

@Money93, can you describe what steps you followed to determine the ip address, and to connect (please as detailed as possible, f.e. say which ip address you put into which textbox on which computer).

@sanderd17: I was able to access file sharing between the two computers if it is what you are asking. I then supposed the connection was working. But file sharing and 0ad probably have totally different requirement.

@Imarok: Yes I believe we set up all of ths in the correct way.

But as I said, it was a few month ago, and I can't try again for some time. I'll give you more details the next time I'll try it. If it is supposed to work, I'll try and retry. Last time I probably did give up to quickly, supposing it was impossible.

@sanderd17: Well ok, it did take some time with some friends, but I tried again it and we finally make it work. Again, I am talking about a direct LAN by connecting two computers with a single cross ethernet cable.

I connected both computers, everything was fine and started out of the box: we did note the automatically attributed local IP, then we could share file after the connection. We tried to set up a local multiplayer game in 0AD, and it did not work. it did take ages to find out how to make it work. In the end, we needed to reconfigure to IP attributed automatically then it worked. I'm not sure, and it is hard to explain, but it was like 0AD induced something that regenerated the local IP addresses and make them unavailable... Anyway, if anybody face the same issue, here is what I suggest for a two computer game:

Connect both computers, and go in the settings, then reconfigure anything that have been assigned aromatically: set up a new IPV4 connection on your Ethernet interface, disable automatic IP (it seems to be more important for the host computer), and manually enter some local IP (could it be like 192.168.x.x or 169.254.x.x) and the same mask. Then you can set up your firewall (eg. with a rule like this for the host : to (HOST local custom IP with MAC address) allow incoming connection on 20595/UDP from (CLIENT local custom IP with MAC address). Was tested several configurations, from linux-linux connections to linux-win connections. Removal of the automatically attributed local IP was a mandatory, even if it allowed working connections, for unknown reason.

I was able to play my custom maps in some epic multiplayer games, that was great! So thanks for motivating me to try again.

• Like 1