Civ: Scythians

wowgetoffyourcellphone

• 4 months later...

On 25/03/2023 at 3:05 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

New shaman hatimage.thumb.png.29c402673704ebc1f618b68e8c18b961.png

I think it would fit well for the Xiognu.

From what i read the Scythians were not really shamanistic, they had a polytheistic religion with some similarities to other indo-european ones.

This could be a reference for Enaree (Beardless man on the right)

Karagodeuashkh_Headdress_Detail.png

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian

6 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

From what i read the Scythians were not really shamanistic, they had a polytheistic religion with some similarities to other indo-european ones.

There is a gold headdress that appears to be depicting an Enaree (Beardless man on the right)

that is true, the Scythians are Indo-Iranians.

They are related to the Persians and Parthians.

22 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

This could be a reference for Enaree (Beardless man on the right)

You're right. Maybe I can reuse the Han Minister body mesh (the big robe and folded hands) and see if I can't make a really tall pointy hat.

https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-general/reconstruction-golden-woman-ancient-scythian-princess-kazakhstan-001987

another source says that she is a princess.

Goldan Woman was found buried in a mound, known as a kurgan, alongside numerous gold and silver vessels, makeup kits, golden jewellery, a headdress, a horse bridle, and other household items that were considered essential for the afterlife. The features of her burial are characteristic of Zoroastrianism, an ancient Iranian religion and a religious philosophy, which spread eastward towards Kazakhstan. The princess belonged to the Saka (ancient Scythians), a group of nomadic warrior tribes of Iranian origin, who inhabited the steppes of modern-day Kazakhstan from around 1,000 BC to the first centuries AD.

In total, more than 500 different golden fragments were found in her burial, which earned the woman her name - the Golden Woman or the Golden Princess. Reconstruction of the garment was entrusted to the famous restorer Krym Altynbekov. Thanks to his work, one can now see what Golden Princess might have looked like 2500 years ago

She was covered with a blanket embroidered with golden plaques of four types: differently shaped geometric pieces depicted ram griffins, rams, griffins and swastikas. Scientists call them solar, implying worship of the sun characteristic for the nomads of the time, which is also supported by the "Avesta", the core collection of sacred Zoroastrianism texts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enaree

It's like in Nahualism of the Mayas, but instead of transforming you into a beast, it transformed you into a woman.

The Anarya belonged to the most powerful Scythian aristocracy. They were born male, but wore women's clothing,[5] performed women's jobs, spoke like women,[7] and were believed by the Scythians to be inherently different from other males and that their androgyny was of divine origin; according to indigenous Scythian shamanic traditions, the Anarya were considered "transformed" shamans who changed their sex, which characterised them as being the most powerful shamans, due to which they inspired fear and were thus accordingly given special respect in Scythian society, and the Scythians ascribed their androgyny to a "female disease" causing sexual impotency.

The institution of the Anarya might have been influenced by the ancient traditions of Goddess worship and shamanism practised by the populations of the Eurasian steppe since the Palaeolithic. Like the Anarya, these shamanic traditions used cannabis and other hallucinogenic substances to acquire an altered and ecstatic state of mind.[5] Such traditions of "gender-crossing shamanism," whereby men obtain the power of prophecy and of becoming religious figures possessed by spirits by abandoning their masculinity, have been preserved until recent times by indigenous Siberians

Concerning social activity, though the Scythians had no temples, there is ample evidence of priestly function of their kurgans and Ares-edifices in the way of goods, construction, and associated sacrifices. Finally, when it came to individual healing, even as diviners, their shamans, through ecstatic production and medicinal prescription, certainly played important roles.

images (15).jpeg

images (13).jpeg

They played an important role as priests and shamanistic soothsayers in the Scythian religion. The Enarei priests were especially consulted when the king of the Scythians was ill. 

Another interesting is about the Amazon warriors which according to some were actually Enarei. According to Palaephatus- "This is my view of the Amazons, that they were not women who waged war, but barbarian men, and that they wore clothing which extended over their feet...

Scythian Priesthood of Fierce Fighting Eunuch Shamans of the Snake Goddess

The Scythian goddess Argimpasa was half-human, half-snake with a priesthood of powerful shamans, who despite their self-inflicted castration, seemed to still personify the reputation of fierce.

The Scythian goddess Argimpasa was half-human, half-snake with a priesthood of powerful shamans, who despite their self-inflicted castration, seemed to still personify the reputation of fierce warriors. The culture of the Scythians, a group of ancient tribes of nomadic warriors who lived in what is now southern S iberia, flourished from around 900 BC to around 200 BC. However, most of what is known today about the Scythians has been accumulated from a range of ancient sources from other cultures such as the Greeks, Assyrians and Persians who would, understandably, retell the stories of the Scythians from their own perspectives colored by their own understandings, traditions and sometimes prejudices.

https://www.ancient-origins.net/history/scythian-priesthood-0012314