Alpha 20 name suggestions

Palaxin

Can someone in the loop summarize the major contributions of Alpha 20 to give us fodder for choosing names? Alpha 19 was obviously going to reflect either capturing or the new pathfinder.  What do we have to celebrate in A20?

Thermopylae was a stinkin awesome battle by the way, fought in the right time period between 2 of 0 A.D.'s factions on the land owned by a third and in order to protect a fourth.  And it starts with a T :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The credits are almost ready according to ltms:
http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3744
http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3802

If we go in this direction, τιμάω (timáō) might be a good start:

"to pay honor to, to hold in honor, treat honorably, to honor, revere"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CF%84%CE%B9%CE%BC%CE%AC%CF%89#Ancient_Greek

Maybe search for a word derived from timao, something that sounds more complex.

I have no understanding of Ancient Greek though, that was just my Google-fu.

hi there,

T is a letter that can offer many interesting suggestions.

Tele- (Τηλε-) is a prefix that can be combined easily. means "from distance"

Telemachus / Tēlemakhos (Τηλέμαχος): The man who fights from distance - Also the son of Odysseus

Tachy- (Ταχύ-) another prefix - means fast

Tachypous (Ταxύπους) : the man who runs fast

Taxis (Τάξις) : Order (state), Arrangement (state)

Taxiarkhos (Ταξίαρχος): military leader

Tagma (Τάγμα) : military group - battalion or smt like that.

personally, i d vote Tēlemakhos

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, niektb said:

I think I prefer 'Terra Marique'

It's sound weird in my own Spanish

is like Tierra=Terra

marique = this can be interpreted of many forms. Sounds like a word used to discriminating...

But is the sound not the meaning...

Timosthenes sounds very greek, I liked a lot. But there aren't words in ancien Indian or Persian with T?

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

4 minutes ago, Itms said:

Forgot to mention, we all liked Tersus very much but it is already used by some company :(

I am no expert in law but I doubt that's such a problem. After all, 0 A.D. is registered as "0 A.D." and the release name is an inner thing, 0ad specific so to say. Furthermore, Tersus is an actual word, who can restrict its usage? Does that mean we can't name a release "blizzard" just because there happens to be a lucky company that's called like this? (Not that blizzard is a good name for a 0. A.D release)

19 minutes ago, Itms said:

I should have searched for the name again, it's not a company but a software: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tersus

And the problem is not a law problem, it's just that we want to have rather unique names, so when someone searches "Syllepsis" they have 1) the Greek word and 2) 0 A.D. Alpha 19 :)

Yes, this really makes sense. If people really like Tersus though I think we should stick with it. SEO is important, but content is king (SEO shouldn't hinder creativity).

At best, someone will think of a more unique name, at worst, I vote for Tersus too. :)

• Like 1

I found a variant or alternative name to Terra in Latin, Tellus.

Tellus Mater

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tellus

The two words terra and tellus are thought to derive from the formulaic phrase tersa tellus, meaning "dry land".[citation needed] The etymology of tellus is uncertain; it is perhaps related to Sanskrit talam, "plain ground". [

. Although Tellus and Terra are hardly distinguishable during the Imperial era,[1] Tellus was the name of the original earth goddess in the religious practices of the Republic or earlier.[2]The scholar Varro (1st century BC) lists Tellus as one of the di selecti, the twenty principal gods of Rome, and one of the twelve agricultural deities.[3]She is regularly associated with Ceres in rituals pertaining to the earth and agricultural fertility.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Τερέζα (Tereza)

is a beautiful name that comes from greek. It's exact etymology is not known, but it might:

1. Come from "to harvest" in greek

2. Mean "a girl from the isle of Thera"

both meanings are very poetic and a philosophical relation between "0 A.D." and the first etymology can be found.

I also find the idea of 0 A.D.'s 20th release name being a female name rather good.

For those who said that "terra" is not a good candidate because of the lack of uniqueness, "Tereza" might be a good solution:

1.it retains the root "terra" as in earth, land: "harvest the land"

2. It is a name. It implies personality, uniqueness and emotion.

Also, you might say, Therese is a very popular name. But that's one of the reasons I chose the spelling "Tereza":

1. It is SO familiar to the everyday person, but yet unique, because of its greek spelling.

2. Also, the spelling is not that strange, nor hard, but rather phonetic and easy to remember.

1 hour ago, yoreei said:

I am no expert in law but I doubt that's such a problem. After all, 0 A.D. is registered as "0 A.D." and the release name is an inner thing, 0ad specific so to say. Furthermore, Tersus is an actual word, who can restrict its usage? Does that mean we can't name a release "blizzard" just because there happens to be a lucky company that's called like this? (Not that blizzard is a good name for a 0. A.D release)

I once worked for a company that distributed a software product named Precedent, and the name was trademarked.  Later, another company selling a completely different program under the same name tried to make us stop using it on the grounds that they'd been using it before we were.  Our CEO, who was also a lawyer, replied, telling them that they'd never bothered to register the name and that trying to make us stop using it was simply closing the barn door after the horse has escaped.  (Yes, he used those exact words.)  He did, however, offer to allow them to continue using the name as long as they weren't competing with us and stopped trying to enforce a trademark that didn't exist.  We never heard back from them.

If we did decide to use Tersus, our best bet would be to discuss this with the other company, show that we're not competing with them and get permission to use the name.  We probably don't need it, but it's well worth making sure ahead of time instead of running into legal issues because we didn't bother to check.

To harvest the land:

0 A.D. is more about the epic battles between ancient civilizations than the way they developed their economies and trades. It is about the blood that was spilt on the earth/terra rather than the seed that grows in it. 0 A.D's economy is thsre just to serve the military part of the game. Or is it?

Why were the ancient fights fought? Why should men kill men? Nationalism? Faith? All of these are mere excuses to make war. Truth is, it has always been about resources, fights were fought on the earth for the earth, for the fertile soil that enriched itself with the blood of the in battle fallen soldiers. Peoples fought for the blessing of the Earth, for a place to spread their seed and a place to harvest either by Cain's plough or by Abel's weapon.

So in fact war is economy. And all the fights would have been senseless hadn't someone harvested the land, purchased with and fertilized by the corpses of the previous generations. In this sense, to harvest gains a much more global meaning.

It can be kind of funny, or it can be kind of sad, the Harvestress collects the fruit of Death. By Her restlessness She gives Her meaning. She gives us a reason to fight once more, to pay our depth.

Here is a little philosophy regarding the use of "Tereza" - the Harvestress - as a release name for 0 A.D. Alpha 20. I hope you like it. Excuse my spelling - shamelessly, I wrote it on my phone.

Edited by yoreei
Added info

I'm leaning towards Timosthenes, it's unique (without being too strange/difficult to spell), and is related to what's been added in Alpha 20 (plenty of new maps). We like when the name of a release gives us a chance to teach people about something they aren't likely to know already, and this is a good candidate for that reason as well.

Tellus is really something everyone should know already, or at least common enough to be less appealing because of it.

I personally find the connection between Tereza and this release a bit too vague. Also, it's "just" a name, there's not much we can say about it. Not that there absolutely has to be, but I think that's something that speaks in favor of other names.

I don't think the biggest issue with Tersus is legal, but rather that it's better to find something unique. And also, while we certainly have had the ambition to clean things up for this release, I fear we shouldn't promise too much and risk disappointing people ;) If we get to a Beta 20 though, then it might be worth taking into consideration again :)

• Like 1

I agree with Feneur, I don't like Tereza Even in spanish The names sound is related to Pereza( Lazy).

Timosthenes I like that but... Only I have an objection and that is... We use too many Greek names.

so the other I suggest is based in the info that I found:

Talam by Sanskrit, means surface. But Talam can be common in some Indoeuropean languages.

http://www.wordsense.eu/talam/

even have others descendants 

talamh (Scottish Gaelic)

Origin & history

From Old Irish talam, from Proto-Celtic *talamū, from Proto-Indo-European *tḷ-mon, root *tel (compare Latin tellus ("earth")).

Noun

1. (masculine onlyEarth (planet)
  2. earthsoilground
  3. landcountryterritory
Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• feneur locked this topic