Somewhat Experienced

aeonios

Hi all! I heard about 0AD through zero-K/spring, which is similar but differently themed. I'd like to do some work on graphics and optimizing graphics (deferred shading, etc) because it interests me and I haven't done a lot with it yet. I have experience in mapmaking (like raw stuff using blender and world machine), AI (I've been working on a fairly advanced AI in java for about half a year now) and a little bit of graphics, and so far I like most of what I've seen in 0AD. I have some ridiculous ideas but I always prioritize simple things first.

On the other hand I wish you'd use git. :P SVN doesn't let you search source content (that I've seen) which makes finding things difficult, and git's fork-and-pull-request process makes it easier to contribute (integrated issue tracking is nice too).

• Like 3

Well, honestly I haven't learned every detail of the game as of yet, but I've been able to beat petra on a variety of maps.

I also neglected to add links to all of the things that I mentioned previously, which I should correct. :P

Zero-K

Spring RTS Engine

Zero-K Graph Based AI (does not cheat)

Shine 2D, an openGL (fixed pipeline, because reasons) 2D graphics library for java

Some things I would like to see implemented for 0AD:

-Make refractive water less derpy and balance reflections/refractions to make water look more like water.

-Dynamic clouds (with map settings)

-Dynamic sun/moon with day/night cycles and color points for e.g. sunsets and sunrises, etc.

-Precipitation, with related cloud settings (although not necessarily having the precipitation come from clouds, just changing their appearance during)

There are plenty of other minor things (and a few major ones) that could be tuned or improved either to improve performance or improve the aesthetics and increase the sense of realism, but I don't really want to get ahead of myself.

I don't really want to touch gameplay or balance for as long as humanly possible, although I may offer suggestions from time to time. I'm not fundamentally opposed to doing AI/unit AI type of work (and 0AD could certainly use it), but I am a bit burned out on that.

• Like 2

First I want to improve water rendering. The distortion for refractions is too large and looks unnatural, and it isn't correctly interpolating between the refract color and the water fog color (it ends up increasing the fog color when it shouldn't). It also seems to be possible to eliminate a rendering step and a texture when blending the refract color and reflect colors together, which should make rendering a bit cheaper.

Adding support for combining more than one normal map for waves is something I want to look into after that. (not that waves look bad now, but why not)

• Like 2

The dev how create these effects was Wraitii but he isn't  here in these day...

im not sure how can help you , may be Historic_bruno( one oldest active dev) leper ( he know about many things)

Im volunteer but artist not programmer but I'm surely you are right in some aspects...

anyway here are our staff team member.

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/staff/

you want open a topic about the water, go to  Technical Forum.

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/forum/312-game-development-amp-technical-discussion/

actually we are in a sub forum of that main forum.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Welcome, and thanks for your interest. There are two links which should be the first things to check out: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GettingStartedProgrammers for more information on programming for 0 A.D. and http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=0ad-dev where you can talk to the other programmers (and other developers as well, but mostly frequented by programmers). You are most likely to find someone there during evenings/early night European time, but many check the logs/stay logged in all time and will get back to you when they are online, so don't worry if you don't get a reply immediately.

• Like 2

Hi aeonios and welcome!

feneur already answered about how to start contributing, so that's less work for me. :P

It would be awesome to have you working on graphics: currently there is nobody really working on that. We're absolutely interested in any proposal you can make (the things you listed above sound really promizing)! Chatting on IRC really is the easiest way to get in touch with us developers, and we can answer questions you can have about the codebase.

Thanks for your interest!

• Like 2