Celtic voices

Hello, this may be in the wrong place in the forums.
I have a suggestion that people may be interested.
I speak a language call Pyr-iiuccd, which is a Brittonic language spoken by some villages in Northern Wales and North-Western Scotland. As far as we can tell, it seems to be the least altered by other language. I mean that we didn't mix words with latin and English as Welsh and Cornish did. I brought this up because I reckon some would like a more diverse or authentic sound lineup for Briton units.

Second issue being that my microphone is quite low quality sound. Meaning that if anyone would like this as a subproject in the game, I would probably need to teach the proper pronunciation to whoever would be able and willing to record it.

Edited by Sinornn

Can you give us some more info on this language? I have never heard of it, and neither has the internet. It is also highly unlikely that a Welsh and a Scottish population would speak the same dialect, especially since the surviving Celitc dialects in Scotland are all Q-celtic rather than P-Celtic.

There's two or three villages in Scotland that I know of. Honestly, I don't know that much of the language's history, just that we've spoken it for a long time. Also, spelling is a bit off at all times because it's not standardised, so there could be dozens of spellings for a single word.
Also, it's not the same dialect, it's generally the same, yet some gaelic words crossed over in Scotland. Allucairn's dialect sounds much more like Gaelic than it does like Welsh, even though most words are the same.

"Baron syn drui llyn ar-asymii giu caer Taliin ly Awnyd-uul acc ara ann syn-oo uunydau. Gwaaad Sarum, 'Ylii-arr!' i llyn talii. Sean e dan llyn hymarr-uu."

"We passed/travelled through the tall hills/mountains towards the village of Taliin with wind and snow on our faces. Sarum yelled/shouted, 'Ylii-arr (a name),' into the holes/natural shelters/small rock overhangs yet his shouting was smothered by the storm.

It's part of a strange story about finding a lost old man who wandered out of a village because he was very sad about being too feeble to be of much use.

I might add, it's pronounced "Bah-rahn shjen droi han arsha-em-ee gyoo caer Ta-leen le awend-ool a(ch) yara ahng shjen-oh oone-ow. Gwaid Sharr-oom El-ee-ar ee han hemer-oo"

The J's are a very soft J sound, halfway between g and j

Edited by Sinornn

You might want to provide translation for those :

If folks want to pursue recording other languages, we first need help from language experts to submit and verify translated phrases for each of the factions.

The only translations we're satisfied with currently are Ancient Greek - those were written and reviewed by a number of individuals with knowledge of Ancient Greek. Since nobody on the team is a language expert, we are relying on the online community to help out with this.

The phrases can be viewed here:
http://trac.wildfire...udio_Voice_List

If someone has knowledge of ancient Carthaginian, Celt, Iberian, Persian, Roman, or Mauryan languages you can help us by translating our phrases in this format:

Please post translations in this topic - trac should be used for storing 'approved' translations only.

Might want to adapt the phrases in your language, see for instance greek persian and romans have different idioms.

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for contributing :)

Looks interesting, a bit like Welsh :)

I still don't believe that it's spoken in Scotland though. There is some place-name evidence of a P-Celtic language that came before Gaelic, but that's all. I studied Gaelic at uni and would have heard of it if there was a surviving tradtional P-Celtic language in Scotland.

English-orthgraphy pronunciation notes won't help a lot though, because Celtic languages just have too many sounds in them that English doesn't have. Plus English spelling is highly ambiguous :(

Maybe you can borrow a good microphone somewhere or record on a friend's computer?

Writing it down in IPA would also give us precise information. Sadly, IPA isn't taught in school usually.

• Like 1

Well, it is often confused for Welsh, so it might be dismissed as Welsh people living in Skye and Ross oftentimes.
Either way, I'll ask around for a microphone or recording setup around here. If not, maybe someone online is willing to do some skype-skype to learn the pronunciations well enough.
I might try my hand at IPA, I know one of the older people tried to teach the language on some forum using IPA. He said it was too difficult for most people to learn, though.

Karamel, thank you very much for that! I already know a bit about recording. The main standstill for me is the lack of a quality microphone to record with.

Also, I'd like to call for a vote on this. Give me a list of the 'moods' each phrase should be based on this list http://trac.wildfire...udio_Voice_List

For example, angry for the attack line or passive for the repair line. I always liked getting ideas from other people as well as myself, it creates a better end product.