• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, FeXoR said:

... you just added content containing advertisement to our forum ;/

1 hour ago, FeXoR said:

Really? I didn't remember to have seen any commercials in embedded youtube videows yet. Only on youtube itself. Not sure.

Wait, I think I'm missiong something here. Which commercials/advertisement are you refering to?

2 minutes ago, Enrique said:

Wait, I think I'm missiong something here. Which commercials/advertisement are you refering to?

In the first case at he is referring to the commercial which runs before the Twitch video on the embedded player.

As for whether it's a good thing or a bad thing. :unsure: On the one hand Twitch needs to make some money, so I certainly don't mind that they have advertisements. Having ads (indirectly, but still) on our forums, especially when it's clear that we are not the ones who are behind them, isn't necessarily a bad thing. What is bad is that we have no control over what is displayed.

Just now, FeXoR said:

When I played the video at this post as is, embedded in this forum, a commercial was shown before the actual video started.

I didn't go to the twitch hompage and watched it there.

BTW: The link in the frame of the video to twitch doesn't work for me embedded , but if I open only that frame the link works.

Oh, I don't see any of that. No commercials, video starts playing when I scroll until it's on frame. The only thing is a link to twitch with the embed.

I guess it's a thing of Adblocker

• Like 1

Thinking about it a bit more , the thing that actually is the worst to me is that the video is starting automatically. It's more than a little annoying , but more importantly it means that someone visiting our forums doesn't get a chance to choose whether or not to view the video. To me that makes a big difference. If someone has chosen to click on a video to view it they do at least have some responsibility for seeing the ads.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, feneur said:

Thinking about it a bit more , the thing that actually is the worst to me is that the video is starting automatically. It's more than a little annoying , but more importantly it means that someone visiting our forums doesn't get a chance to choose whether or not to view the video. To me that makes a big difference. If someone has chosen to click on a video to view it they do at least have some responsibility for seeing the ads.

I agree. I think best option would be just offer the link to the stream profile instead of embedding

Edit: Or FeXoR suggestion below which is even better!

Yeah, the spoiler just hides it from being displayed, it's still loaded as if it was displayed on the page as normal.

So yeah, just displaying the link is probably better in this case. There is no way to just limit it to Twitch links though, just to turn off embedding completely, and that seems a bit much. Especially since I don't think I remember having seen ads at all on embedded videos for other services.

Forgot to mention the second-most important part I wanted to include in the post :P When you post a link that can be embedded you should be asked whether you want to embed it or post it as a link :) In other words, I personally think we should do/recommend that for Twitch videos, at least as long as they auto-play.

• Like 2