Some questions about A19 Sy.

EmperHidan II

So The visual units improvement re not implemented yet, when we can see it? is so special see in live that improvement; transmit perfecting :sword_rune:

It's not likely to happen soon, as it is not Age Of Mythology or Age of Empires. Plus doing new armors for the 150+ units of the game requires time, and nobody is willing to dedicate right now.

• Like 1

It's not likely to happen soon, as it is not Age Of Mythology or Age of Empires. Plus doing new armors for the 150+ units of the game requires time, and nobody is willing to dedicate right now.

Yeah, the life and the time all people know them. At least ty for ur answers guys :yes3:

Edited by EmperHidan II
  • Like 1

but Stanislas69 in editor mode i can see the units with their improvement . Its so difficult implement it in the game? they re created.

If I understood correctly, she's talking about new models (meshes).

They are done, but need animations. Jos3BV started some women animations, that you can see there. He said that would return and send them, and maybe he will make more. Enrique, the artist leader, said that want to work in the upcoming months. He was away for a long time.

You were asking about that?

Edit: rereading the post, maybe Lion is right. Units get improvement with experience, getting better armors and stuff. In current alpha (18) leveling up was disabled, but in the newer would be renabled, so you could see the "improvements".

Edited by av93

Ahh , I have time to don't use the editor. These units are avaible in the editor?

She may be should ask in Spanish.

Es facil lo que dije aunqe nose porqe no me entendio el de arriba, me refiero a las mejoras de armadura y armas de las unidades ya qe cuando se las mejora en la armeria o en la mejora del cuartel no cambian, algunos incluso siguen estando desnudos. NOTA: En el editor salen de una misma unidad 3 variantes de mejora divididas en letras de a b e (en la E es el 1º estado , B con la primera mejora y A con la ultima mejora). Abre el editor y miralo. Saludos.

Edited by EmperHidan II

No sé si te has dado cuenta pero, no funciona así visualmente. En ese sentido es como age of kings, no ves cambios en la apariencia de la unidad pero si en el ataque o armadura ( stats) pero si ganan experiencia, es distinto. sus armas mejoran y sus armaduras, que eso es un estilo que solo vi en 0A.D.

En A18 están desactivados la experiencia. ( razones de balance) Aún que sería bueno ver si al hacer una mejora la unidad debería mejorar los "stats". Si no lo hace es un bug. Y hay que reportarlo. Yo sí noto los bonus, las unidades son mejores.

En la interface hay un panel que te muestra esa información en el panel central, justamente estamos discutiendo cambiarlo, nadie lo ve.

Si alguna vez jugaste Age of Mythology , en 0 A.D es distinto, es por experiencia.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

For my mod I might redo unit actor for visual improvement (linothorax -> bronze cuirass, etc.).This would take a lot of modding for the technologies too (actor swap is a feature of technology json). Rank promotions changes would show with head gear and shield textures while body textures show tech armor upgrade. I suspect if I do this I will have to abandon the rank upgrade visual differences. If only techs could swap prop actor too.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

She ask why research, have visual impact in the units, but in the editor she see the 3 levels from some units, so is clear we need get more info in loading screen and learn to play about this. Possibly we will get more feedback from capture issues in a20, asking how order the units destroy. I know is in the manual but, the manual is some heavy to read, may need more order, a interactive links or tabs about hotkeys or settings but give in different pages not in a single one. Or create a index, with these links ( into the game of course)

I anticipate players may like capture feature at first because it is different, but will soon become annoy with it.

I have FB fan page, the questions are coming...

( I discover the alternate button several week after) but Ieper change to more comfortable... Hahaha, but capturing each little house, I wanna see this.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

I anticipate players may like capture feature at first because it is different, but will soon become annoy with it.

The capture ability certainly changes the game in several ways. I cannot say "like" or "dislike" yet, but I have played five games since the new release.

1. Capture potential changes a LOT about towers. If you have a wall, and you have some towers outside of it (and I'm not saying that is necessarily a good plan, but it could happen for various reasons), in previous alphas the outer towers might be strategically weak, but they were still worth quite a lot for both offense and defense. In fact it was almost unfair/unbalanced how much offense towers could do. But now, if you have some towers in an advance position where they don't have much cover or backup, they will get captured and used against you.

This is good because it decreases the previously unreasonable offensive strength of towers in advance positions. It is now much less of a successful tactic (at least with medium and stronger AIs) to sneak up and build a tower to harass the enemy's resource areas or supply lines. In previous alphas, it was too easy to win by simply building enough towers near enemy supply lines to eventually ruin them by forcing them to put all their energy into population replacement. Just cutting down their citizens over and over at a small but constant rate so they never raise an army.

However, capture is probably not the most expected way that that problem would be addressed. Advance-position towers now seem much more likely to be targeted for capture than they previously were for attack. I'm not sure if the reason is more in program code or Petra's AI.

2. Capture feels like a bit too strong and too easy of a tactic compared to attack. Suppose in a previous alpha you unfortunately allow some enemy troops to enter an area where you have a lot of houses and economy buildings and other non-military structures. It seems they can capture most of them now at a rate much faster than they used to destroy them by attacking.

There is a conflict in this. On one hand, it physically, logically, makes sense that it would be easier and faster to capture than to destroy. On the other hand, it changes the game's fighting mechanic a lot. The risk of allowing enemy troops within a perimeter, at least in any area without garrisoned defensive structures, is now FAR higher than it ever was before. But maybe that is desirable! In the previous alphas a player could be successful against weaker to moderate AIs by building enormous perimeters, extra long walls enclosing vast areas and multiple population centers, partly because it just didn't hurt very much to let a few enemies in as long as they weren't a full army. But now even a few enemies get in and they might capture some structures and start to destroy the empire from inside.

3. I don't know if it's just me, but capturing enemy battering rams and other siege equipment now looks very, very preferable over destroying them, but I have found it can be difficult to control which is chosen in the heat of battle, especially given the density of graphics around siege equipment (which, in turn, is partly because they move slowly enough that foot and cavalry units are often piling up against and around them).

Aside from the points above, I think perhaps my old play style had become dependent on some specific characteristics of the game (and of the Petra AI) that are no longer true. I think this because in the new release I immediately failed in the 3- and 4-player (on medium and large terrain) scenarios that I used to succeed in at medium or hard AI strength. In fact, now I have had to cut all the way back to a single opponent with weak AI at first, and small territory, and now have built back up to medium AI at least, but still one opponent and small (not tiny) territory. I will continue to re-learn from there.

Edited by eric o