Hey @Orpheus,

did you use SVN (r17785)? The mod is not compatible with the current Alpha. Mainland and flood random maps have been added after I finished the 0.2 version. I have plans to rebase it in the future (perhaps for the Alpha 21 release) but due to this change it requires me to edit 200 or 300 actor files, so this is a good amount of work...

Edit: If you don't like to use SVN you can try to run the mod with the Alpha 19 release. I didn't test it but it should work fine...

Edited by Palaxin
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/24/2015 at 0:02 AM, Palaxin said:

Gold: yellow veins; many sparkles; 150% gather animation speed

A very nice picture to imagine, seeing bearded miners enthusiastically increasing their gather speed when working on more precise/seldom materials. Only true of course as long as they are free miners and not have to work for others, such that it may not yet been fully adequate for 0A.D. where no citizen can create a company or bring their precious relicts they found lying for long ages at river beds. :)

Edited by Radagast.

Like it, would include it on my mod v3, so the players gather resources more strategically instead of plain-same-tradeisbetter metal. The fights would be more realistic and interesting, where the most clever players will aim for the best mines. It's not the same to fight over a gold mine than to fight for a iron mine. In fact, many ancient battles were to protect strategic resources.

Thought, in order to be historically accurate, you would need to control in the maps the precious metal chances. Not all regions got gold or silver.

I would need only the code since my mod doesn't contemplate new art. If you do that, I'll include it if it's small enough.

Edited by Eraser
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Radagast. said:

Only true of course as long as they are free miners and not have to work for others

Primarily I tried to include as many visual differences between mines as possible. Including different gather speeds. But you are right, probably it isn't realistic, so I may consider to remove that feature.

9 hours ago, Eraser said:

Like it, would include it on my mod v3

Finally someone seems to be interested in my mod :D Thanks, @Eraser I won't have time till after Christmas to update the code. But if you keep interest, I will try to provide you with an Alpha 21 / SVN compatible version. There have been a lot of changes in the relevant files, so this probably will require a good amount of time. However, not using above-mentioned feature of different gather animation speeds would greatly reduce the amount of work...

9 hours ago, Eraser said:

I would need only the code since my mod doesn't contemplate new art. If you do that, I'll include it if it's small enough.

The zipped mod folder currently needs 20 MB. Not sure if you consider that small enough. Without art the size may be <1 MB.

Edited by Palaxin

1 hour ago, Palaxin said:

The zipped mod folder currently needs 20 MB. Not sure if you consider that small enough. Without art the size may be <1 MB.

Yes, should be a .diff containing only the entity data of the resources and the modifications to the a21 maps. My mod targets vanilla 0AD so the smaller the patch the better.

I also think the most precious metals shouldn't have a mining speed bonus since, apart from the fact that you'll extract gold more happily than iron (lol), the mining process is very similar. So what about giving valuable mines greater amounts of metal? It's quite a plain solution, but it represents the difference of value between each type of metal.

The idea of protecting gold mines with gaia aggressive units doesn't seem very convincing, since animals don't care about gold and mercenaries would have extracted it already.

Making four types of stone (granite,basalt, etc.) could also make the same positive effect on the gameplay.

And thx to you for this idea.

Edited by Eraser

On 12/1/2016 at 0:21 AM, Eraser said:

Yes, should be a .diff containing only the entity data of the resources and the modifications to the a21 maps. My mod targets vanilla 0AD so the smaller the patch the better.

I just rebased the mod to Alpha 21, apart from the maps, which will require the most work to adapt. I am pretty sure that this mod is not suited to be included in a .diff because of two reasons. First, you need art because it is crucial to add visual feedback to the mines in order to avoid confusions. I also think there is a higher chance for the mod to be committed if it already provides the necessary art, at least as a temporary solution, until a proper artist can make improvements. However, I think that only little improvements are needed. Secondly, even without including art, the number of files and the total memory needed is very high. Just for your information:

• without art, without maps: 236 files, 0.4 MB
  • with textures, without maps: 395 files, 18.4 MB
  • without art, with maps: at least 428 files, at least 63.1 MB
  • with textures, with maps: at least 587 files, at least 81.1 MB

Making four types of stone (granite,basalt, etc.) could also make the same positive effect on the gameplay.

This would require at least 52 new templates and with art we would further need 18 MB. But I'm considering to implement this feature in the next version.

I also think the most precious metals shouldn't have a mining speed bonus since, apart from the fact that you'll extract gold more happily than iron (lol), the mining process is very similar. So what about giving valuable mines greater amounts of metal? It's quite a plain solution, but it represents the difference of value between each type of metal.

I assume mining gold itself is not faster than mining iron; however, in the same amount of mining time you should get a greater value from gold than from iron. Actually iron is far more abundant than gold, so it seems strange to me to give gold a higher amount of metal.

The idea of protecting gold mines with gaia aggressive units doesn't seem very convincing, since animals don't care about gold and mercenaries would have extracted it already.

Ok that is convincing :) But what if we protected the mines with said mercenaries / barbarians / gaia gold miners?

And thx to you for this idea.

Thx for your interest ;)

Edited by Palaxin

On 5/15/2016 at 3:03 PM, Orpheus said:

Nice mod but when generate random map it craches at map generation with js errors on like 80% of random map types and on the other 20% it works. For example it crashes at mainland, float ect.

Hi @Orpheus, I have found the reason for that issue. In fact, it is different than assumed. I will fix it in the upcoming version 0.3, expect it to be ready no later than the beginning of January.

Edited by Palaxin
  • Like 1