Improve unit stat visualization

wraitii

• 1 year later...

hey, i think this is really important, is this still in consideration to make the unit stats visualization better? Tbh this was one of the things that bothered me when playing the game as a beginner, not really knowing which units to choose.

I think changing the unit window to a more table like structure, using symbols instead of written text, and hiding irrelevant information like what they can build (or information you only read once like history) under drop down menus could do a lot.

I think there are lot of good ideas in this thread already and a common agreement that there's room for improvement. Unfortunately i have no programming skills but i could maybe get into designing the icons and i have some ideas if wanted?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Builds should just show all of the building icons. Having a giant list there in paragraph form is goofy. lol

yes, I agree. That's how it is now.

Actually knowing the classes is often enough to know what they can build

Champion, Calvary (Slave in DE) -> nothing

Infantry, Worker, Citizen -> all (military in DE) buildings

Women/Citizen in DE -> civil buildings

I think no one ever looked that up in these paragraphes :D

9 hours ago, GunChleoc said:

How about putting similar properties into tables with headers? Costs, gather rates & loot could be a table with food, wood, ... as headers

what makes it difficult is that "costs" is relevant for all units, while "gather rates" and "loot" are only for workers

On 12/12/2020 at 7:17 AM, nifa said:

I think no one ever looked that up in these paragraphes

Right. Chucking a huge list of buildings (specific names and generic names too!) into a block of text is tedious to read. Much better to just have a couple of rows of portraits and you can hover over the portraits for their tooltips.

• Like 1

@nifa, first of all, are you using the latest stable (A23) or the svn development version (A24)? The stable is fine if you just want to play the game or want to experiment with modifying it, but if you want your changes included into the default distribution, then you should work from the development version. See https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions for how to get it running, if you've not done so already.

Most of the interface is written in JavaScript (*.js) and located under binaries/data/mods/public/gui/

Here are three small patches I wrote:

They're rather minor but can help you to familiarize yourself with the relevant files.

Edited by Nescio
question mark
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the information!

I installed tortoise svn, visual studio 2019 and the compiler for 2017 and got the code. Took some time but it all worked. Do I need another workload in visual studio since the gui is in javascript? Now I'll try to get comfortable with visual studio

That would be great

4 hours ago, badosu said:

Would be nice to show how techs and auras are modifying stats.

I had the same idea that the possible upgrades of a unit should be shown with the icon somewhere on this window. Like having

1. "trained by" like civic center and barracks icons

2. "builds" with the icons of the buildings that the unit can build

3. "upgrades" with the icons of the possible upgrades

hovering over it would show a tooltip with the effects and where to research it