Noob Q's

DanHart

The Model:

He is an infantrymen. His weapon would be a spear, but historically he could have two functions with a spear and sword. He is from the Neo-Assyrian Empire (early iron age). In 0 A.D. terms he wold be a professional soldier, heavy infantry, trained at a fortress or special building.

Attached Files

interesting, sometimes I'm the creative and source finder.

New Questions:

I was going through the modelling import guide --> http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Basic3DImplementation

I got the mesh to show up purple in actor view. However, the texture does not show up, and I get the following error:

post-20097-0-96436700-1448337720_thumb.p

I double checked the templates and followed the tutorial exactly! No luck though. Anybody have suggestions?

• Like 1

Scale Question:

I am working on a helmet model. I imported a helmet into Blender from the github files. This is an old helmet to use as a reference so that I would be sure to get the appropriate scale correct. In addition, I imported a new character model that Enrique put together to see the scale relative to each object in blender. However... I got this.

post-20097-0-18411000-1448406431_thumb.p

If you look closely, there is a crest, the new helmet I am working on (overlayed on the original old helmet for reference), and the new mesh head, and new mesh body. I am assuming that I should scale the helmet to the size of the new mesh head, but I am not exactly sure what I should do?

Could you please show the exact path to the png file?

Here is the file path to the XML file:

post-20097-0-97735000-1448407062_thumb.p

Here is the XML template:

post-20097-0-97735000-1448407062_thumb.p

Here is the path to the PNG:

post-20097-0-93047000-1448407821_thumb.p

Here is the path to the mesh:

post-20097-0-56591300-1448407854_thumb.p

You might notice that instead of the file path being mods>pubic... etc the file path is mods>mod...

The reason for this is when I start the game with the "unzipped public files" in the PUBLIC folder the game goes straight to the Mod selection screen. When I enable the empires ascendant mod it and start it, I get to the main menu. then I try to open Atlas. The Atlas UI does not pop up, but pyrogenesis.exe runs in the background until I open the Task Manager in windows and end the process.

So I when I moved the "unzipped public files" into the MOD folder and started the game, it goes straight to the main game menu (with the greek background picture). Then i go into Atlas from there and the UI pops up and works fine.

Intuitively it seems as if things are reversed.

My computer setup:

MacBook Air --> running Windows 7 Bootcamp. I use Blender, Gimp, and they work on the Windows side and they work fine. 0 A.D. has worked fine on my computer so far, and I might add that if I needed a full gaming PC I might not have spent as much time with 0 A.D. if my MacBook could not run the game. I plan to get a gaming PC in the future because I am starting to really get interested in this stuff, but for now I got my Macbook (I have a mouse for it too). So to the Producer --> Thank you for casting a wide net!

post-20097-0-91380500-1448407475_thumb.p

The best thing to do IMHO is the following.

- Import Head from files (It will have the correct position) you can find them in props head_new folder or something like this. Else you can use dude_head.dae.

- Scale your helmet

- Done ! :)

So I should import the newHead, then import the helmer (after it is finished) and then scale it to fit the head, then export it. Got it. Thank you!

Just out of curiosity though... If I left the helmet tiny and used it. Would the character have tiny helmet in pyrogenesis?

Also, theoretically, how small can the scale of objects go in pyrogenesis?

I would assume that scale is relative to all the objects in the game, and if things were too small the player could obviously not see them. However, If I scaled down a couple of characters would that make the game map seem larger?

I read an article about the size of game maps being limited up to a point before you lose game performance, but I have been interested in seeing just how large a map could get, as to have multiple cities for each player. In addition, I know that lots of players like the smaller maps because they get to the action quicker, but I am a big map guy, and I am curious about the scale of landmass that could be created.

So I should import the newHead, then import the helmer (after it is finished) and then scale it to fit the head, then export it. Got it. Thank you!

Just out of curiosity though... If I left the helmet tiny and used it. Would the character have tiny helmet in pyrogenesis?

Also, theoretically, how small can the scale of objects go in pyrogenesis?

I would assume that scale is relative to all the objects in the game, and if things were too small the player could obviously not see them. However, If I scaled down a couple of characters would that make the game map seem larger?

I read an article about the size of game maps being limited up to a point before you lose game performance, but I have been interested in seeing just how large a map could get, as to have multiple cities for each player. In addition, I know that lots of players like the smaller maps because they get to the action quicker, but I am a big map guy, and I am curious about the scale of landmass that could be created.

Yes you could theoritically scale everything to be much much smaller.

Instead of moving files to mods>mod you should alter the location of the public folder.

When you installed it the tree showed something like this:

public >- public.zip   + art   + simulation   + etc- mod.json

Now when you unzip it, you should rearrange it to this:

public >- art- simulation- etc.- mod.json
Edited by niektb

Instead of moving files to mods>mod you should alter the location of the public folder.

When you installed it the tree showed something like this:

public >- public.zip   + art   + simulation   + etc- mod.json

Now when you unzip it, you should rearrange it to this:

public >- art- simulation- etc.- mod.json

I tried that. When I run 0 A.D. it takes me straight to the mod screen. Then I have to enable empires ascendant to run the game and take me to the main menu. When I click the scenario editor it runs pyrogenesis in the background, but does not bring up Atlas UI.

After unzipping the public.zip file withing the public folder, and then deleting public.zip the game does not run. It takes me to the mod screen, but the mod is not there.

Edited by DanHart

they display fine when playing the game as downloaded. When I tried the wood crate test, I have the wood texture as a png and it remains a png. I assumed that the engine automatically converted the files because all my files from the game download are DDS. I guess the conversion is just in game though.

You need to pass -mod=yourmodname when loading atlas.

I am not sure what you mean? How do I accomplish this?

Well you should have a file called atlas.bat in your game folder.

Using notepad add to that file :

-mod=nameofyourmod

You might need to create a mod.json for it to load correctly. Here is an example

{    "name": "han_china",    "version": "0.0.19",    "label": "0 A.D. Han China",    "url": "forum.wildfiregames.com",    "description": "Adds the Han dynasty of the Chinese civilization to 0 A.D.",    "dependencies": ["0ad>=0.0.19"],    "type": "content.civilization"}

The engine does not seam to be converting the texture image from png to DDS.

You will not see the dds file, it's cached in your %LOCALAPPDATA% folder.

Well you should have a file called atlas.bat in your game folder.

Using notepad add to that file :

-mod=nameofyourmod

You might need to create a mod.json for it to load correctly. Here is an example

{    "name": "han_china",    "version": "0.0.19",    "label": "0 A.D. Han China",    "url": "forum.wildfiregames.com",    "description": "Adds the Han dynasty of the Chinese civilization to 0 A.D.",    "dependencies": ["0ad>=0.0.19"],    "type": "content.civilization"}

I am still getting the same problem.

post-20097-0-31511000-1448863126_thumb.p

This is the mod.json file that came with the game download and is currently in the mod folder.

post-20097-0-09401000-1448863182_thumb.p

This is the change I made, but the results are the same.

post-20097-0-17437900-1448863799_thumb.p

I was under the assumption that I could change the existing files within the public file and then move them to the mod. Technically the game as it is released is a mod?

On sylepsis (anyone else have the urge to call it syphyllis?), main release not the SVN, could someone refresh my memory on how in the hell I get a mod to enable? I copied the entire public folder over (because i intend to make lots of changes and removals and it's just easier than going back and forth) as well as the mod.json that's modified to describe the mod. The mod shows up in the manager, but when I enable it and then disable the orginal game and press 'start mods' it just flashes right back to the manager. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

On sylepsis (anyone else have the urge to call it syphyllis?), main release not the SVN, could someone refresh my memory on how in the hell I get a mod to enable? I copied the entire public folder over (because i intend to make lots of changes and removals and it's just easier than going back and forth) as well as the mod.json that's modified to describe the mod. The mod shows up in the manager, but when I enable it and then disable the orginal game and press 'start mods' it just flashes right back to the manager. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Technically the main game is a mod which is located in the public folder. In addition the "mod" folder within mods is another mod folder. I tried downloading an existing mod and enabling it, but I could not get it to work either. I have just been putting files in the public folder. I am really new at this too. Here is a link that might help.

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Modding_Guide

Before you try and change a bunch of things, I suggest you start small. Try and get the box into ATLAS scenario editor.

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Basic3DImplementation

Hope this helps.

• Like 1