Finishing the Seleucid Faction ideas

Phalanx

Because i play the Seleucid faction a lot (those of you who have seen me around the forum know this) and even though my modeling and animation skills, while there, are quite limited. So I will just give ideas, if the developers wish to listen, and i will be honoured if you all would help me help the developers finish this glorious faction.

First suggestions: roster switch around. I would suggest that the thracians from the military colony, replace them with Thorax swords (Thorakites), remove this from the colonies build quene, and replace the mounted javalineer from the barracks. In the thracians place in the colonys quene, replace it with Bactian hopolites, or a more local mercenary.

Just by curiousity

Why do you like Seleucids (even your logo seems to) ? Its a bit uncommon so i'm curious. Nobody would claim today

that he has some seleucids origins (maybe except me)

Well, the Seleucids were the ONLY of the Diadochi kingdoms to successfully resist Roman invasion. I have always loved the Greeks, and my second favorite is the Spartans, but I think that the Seleucids being able to resist Rome is incredible. Also, I started liking the Seleucids a while back because I wanted to eventually get RomeII Total War, but I wasn't certain if I would be able to get the Greek States DLC so I could play Sparta. I started looking at other factions, and I already had a bias against Macedon, but I found the Seleucids. I started playing them in Rome I Total War, and fell in love with the Legionaire/Phalanx combo. I have loved the faction ever since. And yes, my logo is the Seleucid logo from RomeII that I turned green instead of blue.

Seleucid cataphrac need work.

Well, all of the Seleucid cavalry (minus the Hikkapontensis Polites) are VERY eastern in appearance. I believe that is not very accurate. While there were a few Eastern based units (which is why I suggest you keep the Dahae horse archers) the Seleucids were still very greek. I think more greek roster would be appropriate. This is also why I suggested the replacement of the Thracians with Thorax Swords (Thorakites) and the introduction of the mercenary Bactrian Hoplite, because the Pikemen, Legionaires/Swords, and merc Hoplites were quite important in Seleucid armies. Hypapist Hoplites were also an important flank guard to the Argyraspides Corps.

Edited by SeleucidKing

Well, all of the Seleucid cavalry (minus the Hikkapontensis Polites) are VERY eastern in appearance. I believe that is not very accurate. While there were a few Eastern based units (which is why I suggest you keep the Dahae horse archers) the Seleucids were still very greek. I more greek roster would be appropriate. This is also why I suggested the replacement of the Thracians with Thorax Swords (Thorakites) and the introduction of the mercenary Bactrian Hoplite, because the Pikemen, Legionaires/Swords, and merc Hoplites were quite important in Seleucid armies.

The Seleucid in this game represent Battle of Magnesia, Battle of Raphia, Daphne Parade.

So, not Romanized Swords?

Romanized swords part of Daphne Parade, is champoion infantry at Fortress. Daphne Parade is when they make their big debut as part of tentative reforms of Seleucid army. They are the men in their prime and as big as the Silver Shields regiment (which is now 1/2 the size it once was which make me believe the core of Romanized Sword regiment come from the Silver Shields, the men were previously Silver Shields). I think they should be special, so should not be regular citizen-solder. I'll keep them as champion in my mod. ;)

According to research on the Seleucid army; Grecogalatian mercs were a HUGE part of a Seleucid army. Thracians, Bactrians, Galatians, and Cretans were a large portion.

Yup. Thats more accurate.

Seleucid can have these for mercenaries (as in Delenda Est):

Thracian Swordman

Arab Skirmisher (very very large contingent in Daphne Parade)

Cretan Archer

Dahae Horse Archer

Galatian Cavalry

Train them from capturable mercenary camps on map.

Bactrians, Medians, and Persians, especially the Hellenized, made up a lot of the heavy cavalry, Companians and Cataphracts. Medians and Persians also provide light cavalry.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1