Civ: Imperial Romans (Principates)

wowgetoffyourcellphone

On 06/02/2023 at 8:59 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

What makes you think the mod make Auxiliaries the mainstay of the civ's roster? 

Don't be mad at me, for a moment i thought it was awesome to have legionaries recruited at the beginning of the game. But limiting numbers of the barracks and Auxiliaries is somewhat counterintuitive.

My expectation was a little bit different from the team mainly because i thought team may allow player to recruit Auxiliaries at the start of the game like Rome: Total War mod Europa Barbarorum or vanilla Rome: Total War who have a rather strict rules and regulations on what troops a player was allowed in the early phase of the game.    

I ain't mad. In DE I try to make as many infantry available at the outset as possible. I only move some to Town Phase if there are a ton of units or to add some progression (or for differentiation; Briton swordsmen to Town, Gallic swordsmen at Village, for ex). Some more specific suggestions would be welcome. I can evaluate your suggestions and see if I want to make the change. 

10 minutes ago, d34d svn said:

My expectation was a little bit different from the team mainly because i thought team may allow player to recruit Auxiliaries at the start of the game like Rome: Total War mod Europa Barbarorum or vanilla Rome: Total War who have a rather strict rules and regulations on what troops a player was allowed in the early phase of the game.    

I think in RTW auxiliaries are treated as "inferior" troops to legionaries to add progression (weaker to stronger troop as you level up your general and provinces) and to lean into public perception of the Roman army as being highly stratified in quality(historically this is pretty shaky, as auxiliaries proved to be quite effective many times, but perception being what it is...).

In DE you can get this progression with the rank promotion techs for the legionaries at the legionary barrack and also in the champions becoming available in the late game. You can only build 1 auxiliary barracks because you can also train auxiliaries from the many mercenary camps dotted around the skirmish map. You can train 10 more auxiliaries for every camp you capture, in addition to the 30 you can train from the outset. Historically, auxiliaries were recruited from conquered peoples, so training them also from the mercenary camps makes sense, as you can rationalize merc camp training as recruiting from the local population of the map. :) 

An article regarding Legionary Guardsman or Lanciarius, hopefully it helps your team.

http://lukeuedasarson.com/Lanciarii.html

I found this part useful for your team:

The first instance of a soldier termed a lanciarius in Latin seems to come from the gravestone of Aurelius Mucianus, a soldier from Legio II Parthica, where he is described as a 'Discens Lanchiari(....)' on his headstone in Apamea dated to the early 3rd century AD, ie. a "trainee lanciarius". This man's tombstone is illustrated in J.C.Balty's "Apamea in Syria in the Second and Third Centuries A.D." in the Journal of Roman Studies, 78 (1988), 91-104, along with a discussion on the dating of the gravestone. Apamea was a Greek-speaking area, hence the hybrid spelling used; and he is shown holding 5 large javelins - ie. lanceae, in his right hand, while his left hand bears a shield. The shield appears to be oval (a foreshortened round shield can not be ruled out however), with a central round boss, and its small size would well fit the light infantry hypothesis. However, it can be readily seen that the other numerous gravestones from Apamea showing (non-lanciarii) legionaries who carry shields have them depicted the same small size, so the conclusion that the size of the shield as depicted is much smaller than real-life is unavoidable, and it is in all likelyhood no different from any other legionary shield. This man's position in Legio II Parthica makes it plain that, at least at this date, lanciarii were drawn from the ranks of the legionaries; his almost unique tombstone amongst many dozens indicates that the limited numbers of lanciarii attested in Josephus and Arrian - one or two hundred in a force of many thousands, continued into the 3rd century. In addition to Mucianus, one other lanciarius, not a discens, also has a tombstone at Apamea; he is shown holding 4 lanceae.

Very recently, following discussion of an earlier draft of this article, Duncan Head made the observation that the first appearence of lanciarii in Roman armies seems to be occur around the same time as antesignani disappear from the sources. Antesignani, "those before the standards", undoubtably formed part of the standard heavy infantry line of battle in the Punic wars (eg. Livy 23.29.3), but they seem to have taken on some of the roles of the former light infantry (velites) as the 1st century BC progressed - when the velites themselves finally disappeared from the scene. Most notably in Caesar, they can be found supporting cavalry, seizing advanced positions etc. There is some evidence that they may have been more lightly equipped than other legionaries, at least some of the time, and in such roles, lanceae may have been more suitable weapons than standard pila. Perhaps this practice became codified in early empire, as did so many other aspects of the Roman military. In this case, we might well not only conclude that lanciarii were legionary light infantry, but that they were merely an old troop-type under a new name.

Edited by d34d svn
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Imperial Romans

The Principate of Roman state

CmMnK3H.png

ik4iXfJ.png

Above: Hero selection for the Imperial Romans

prD0V5k.pngmjjwG7B.png

Above: Emperor Augustus (left), Marcus Agrippa (right)

Fv7q65l.pngnFwD6lY.png

Above: Emperor Titus (left), Emperor Trajan (right)

q1Wp9z9.png6abEN9X.png

Above: Emperor Marcus Aurelius (left), Emperor Aurelian (right)

1fuSyjW.pngb4C8Ua7.png

Above: Roman Citizens (left), Roman Slaves (right)

WRA5ZUE.png

Above: Imperial Roman civ-specific minimap background

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We know that the ductility of the Roman army allowed it to obtain astonishing victories even over the best cavalry of the ancient world: the Iranians. Thus, for example, in 135 A.D. the legionaries of Flavius Arrianus used their "pila" (javelins) to resist the onslaught of the horsemen and push them back.

In this artistic reconstruction another interpretation is shown, in which the legionaries of first line lean on "scuta" (shields), at the same time supported by their comrades. This tactic could have been carried out when the Romans confronted the Sarmatians on a frozen Danube, during the Marcoman Wars, 166-180

d. C.

Illustration by Zé Nuno Fraga.

Screenshot_20240203-234154.png

• 2 weeks later...