Dual Language on unit, building names

Farwest

The unit or building selection tabs look very confusing with dual language. I would prefer to see English names only, for instance on Carthaginian unit roster, seeing "Hayyal Rahüv Masili" for Numidian Cavalry disturbs my view and also gameplay, I am distracted to read unit or building games carefully instead of playing and just getting fun.

There should be a selection in the options menu to keep English names only, or Native names, or both versions (which is vanilla) for players with different preferences.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ :)

Though honestly, I don't really see the need for this change. Sure, it might be confusing the first couple of times you play, but after that I don't really think one reads the names anyway. I mean to me at least it feels more natural to think like this: "Now I need a house, I click on the house icon. Now I need an archer, I will click on the archer icon." Or for that matter, "Now I need to know the stats of this unit, I'll check the numbers."

• Like 3

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ :)

Though honestly, I don't really see the need for this change. Sure, it might be confusing the first couple of times you play, but after that I don't really think one reads the names anyway. I mean to me at least it feels more natural to think like this: "Now I need a house, I click on the house icon. Now I need an archer, I will click on the archer icon." Or for that matter, "Now I need to know the stats of this unit, I'll check the numbers."

I agree with you, after a few tries everybody get used to. But I downloaded 0 AD in order to fill the absence of a RTS game in my computer, if I would have something else at the moment, I would be switching to the next one. I am a busy person with a busy mind always, playing games only to relieve the mind.

Now I am able to play with Carthaginian, because I got used to names and the roster. However if I change to another faction, it really disturbs me from the start again to get used to after a few times of playing.

Games are to enjoy people and to relieve them from stress, not to give them stress :D:cheers:

Second thing is, to adopt a new player is not so easy and losing them for stupid reasons are very often. That's why designing UI (User Interface, User Friendly-ness) is very important in the industry, Adobe, SAP, Oracle are successful companies while there are hundreds and thousands of more companies who are producing similar products but their products usually fail because their products are not as User Friendly as desired. I don't want to give examples from the gaming industry, because you need morale, and I want to see this game a very successful one.

I think option for showing generic and specific names should be included. Specific name would be set to OFF in default. Option to turn it on for history buff. Call it ethnic name though in the option screen. "Specific name" doesn'yt mean anything to player.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

Do not get me wrong, I think way it is now is okay. I don't get confuse but some new player may get confuse.

I think that was a fair suggestion, people who want to stick with the old way, they can continue playing with native names beside unit names in English. People who want to feel even more Native impression, they can play with "Native only" selection; and people like me who want to try 0 ad and don't want to get confuse can play with English names only.

I don't want to torture my eyes by trying to figure out what that unit or building is when discovering a new civilization. If I don't enjoy but have pain by learning the game, the game goes to garbage directly. I don't want to do that, so I came to you to ask a solution.

• 4 months later...
On 1/28/2016 at 6:18 PM, elexis said:

Would anyone besides Farwest need this option?

If you don't want to read the specific name, read the generic name. We shouldn't have hundreds of options for things nobody changes.

I've always been in favor of such an option :P  I think it would go nicely with a simple/advanced UI option. As to whether I would use it or not... I do like foreign languages and they add a degree of authenticity and history to the game. But I can understand players not wanting to see words in obscure languages.

(And I have no problem with hundreds or thousands of options as long as they are documented :D)

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...