Factions

Farwest

Hi,

Just downloaded and this is the first try of "0 ad" now.

First thing I noticed is, there are a lot of Greek states in the list of selection on the game setup screen.

I wanted to play the game with my Steppe Horsemen taste: for instance Scythians, Huns according to the era (500 BC-500 AD) however the Greek influence was high on the roster which consists almost half of it (5/12).

Greek: Spartans, Athenians, Seleucids, Ptolemies, Madeconians (the last one is not Greek, but influenced)

In addition to Scythians and Huns, also seeing Chinese, Viking-Nordic people, an Arab faction like: Sabaeans, Celts, Goths, old Germanic, even Mayans as an expansion later would be great.

Thanks for this beautiful promising game. You should go for crowdfunding I think to develop even higher and make things easier for you.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I appreciate a lot.

I didn't get, sorry, what are first part and second part of the game? Do you mean, 0 AD is the First Game, and there will be a sequel? Or are these parts define "stages of development"?
I would like to see Norse, Huns, Scythians, Germanics inside the game together with Romans, Persians, Greeks.

About Scythians, they were dominating large area around Persia, steppes all over Black Sea region, Raiding into Anatolia, Balkans or even into Media time to time (Heredotus tells a lot about Scythians)... They were one of the major faction in the time of 0 AD, with their expert Gold craftsmanship and Horse mastery which these traits can make them a unique faction in 0 ad. (If every faction looks similar in the roster, will it not bore the players after a time?)

Scythia-Parthia_100_BC.png

I didn't get, sorry, what are first part and second part of the game? Do you mean, 0 AD is the First Game, and there will be a sequel? Or are these parts define "stages of development"?

It's a bit of both actually. Quite early we realized that creating a game that covers the entire period from 500 B.C. to A.D. 500 would be a massive undertaking (and might never be finished), so we decided to split it up into two parts. One covering 500 B.C.-1B.C. and another covering A.D. 1 - A.D. 500. This also means that we know that we can add all the cool things which are too difficult to add to the first part to the second instead.

• Like 2

The game is very greek-centric. IMHO, i would join sparta and athenas, and maybe macedonia with seleucids. But that would mean losing artwork, and people have accostumed to have these civs. But with less civs, easier to balance and then they can be more unique. It's a design choice and I think that it's already taken.

ButI suggest that in the future, it's better to cover more territory than focus in one. BTW, I know that it's impossible to represent all cultures and civs, but it would be a little weird to see every greek colony or city-state and no focus on others..

Just opinions, cheers.

It's a bit of both actually. Quite early we realized that creating a game that covers the entire period from 500 B.C. to A.D. 500 would be a massive undertaking (and might never be finished), so we decided to split it up into two parts. One covering 500 B.C.-1B.C. and another covering A.D. 1 - A.D. 500. This also means that we know that we can add all the cool things which are too difficult to add to the first part to the second instead.

Thanks feneur, this explains a lot and gives more focus on specific time frames.

By the way I am a startup owner who meddled with choosing right names for the company a lot. By dividing the time frame into before and after 0 A.D makes it losing the focus on 0 AD itself. Maybe for the first part of the game, naming it with a Time Frame, or a name like Age of Empires (I mean a name, not a similar one) could serve the company's interests better. Names have effects on people rather than numbers which doesn't sustain much emotion (except numbers related to dramatic events).

These all are managerial decisions on marketing, I wish the best for this beautiful game and your product.

Because of my business model, it is impossible for me to go for crowdfunding (I need to go to VC only). However you have more options than me, also you already have a beautiful and almost ready product already to market in the platforms (it is still in development, but with a little right funding it can be ready in 6 months). It looks like this game can be very successful, I know the limitations you may be facing, if you need any assistance about financing, marketing, or branding topics, feel free to contact me. I am wishing all the best.

The game is very greek-centric. IMHO, i would join sparta and athenas, and maybe macedonia with seleucids. But that would mean losing artwork, and people have accostumed to have these civs. But with less civs, easier to balance and then they can be more unique. It's a design choice and I think that it's already taken.

The game is very greek centric if you only play greek civ. Also this time period was greek centric.

[...]

By the way I am a startup owner who meddled with choosing right names for the company a lot. By dividing the time frame into before and after 0 A.D makes it losing the focus on 0 AD itself. Maybe for the first part of the game, naming it with a Time Frame, or a name like Age of Empires (I mean a name, not a similar one) could serve the company's interests better. Names have effects on people rather than numbers which doesn't sustain much emotion (except numbers related to dramatic events).

[...]

0 A.D. is not the game's full name. The actual names are:

part 1: 0 A.D. Empires Ascendant

part 2: 0 A.D. Empires Besieged