Money,taxes and caravans

Vlad123

Just out of curiosity... I was wondering if anyone has ever read this?

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/War_Story

Me. I'm pretty freak curious and I usually read everything about game mechanics (like aoe3 info, civilization civilopedias, etc.)

I think that should be better discussed on

http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20038. I would quote you there.

• Like 2

How did they elect the project Leaders in the past ?

Well, we only really had 3... Myself, Erik, and Michael. I can only speak for myself and the transition to Erik... but, I took the helm because I wanted to play a Roman era RTS in a similar vein of AOK with some C&C and RON twists to it. Then I went out and recruited people with a similar vision to help me do just that. Shortly after I got married, I recognized that 0 A.D. wasn't helping my relationship with my bride. So, I recruited Erik to take the administrative role (from gamedev.net? I forget...). He's done a fabulous job since and has stuck with the project longer than I have now.

I bet you are not willing to come back are you ? :P

I'm afraid not. I still have an interest in 0 A.D. succeeding because I gave 6 years of my life to it. But, as a family man now - I don't have time to game anymore. I'm always available to consult though.

Maybe it's time to have a #4... I can totally understand how it can be time consuming and cause arguments especially if your bride doesn't have the same atitude toward the activity...

Yeah Indeed, he has done a great job and still does.

You are also the founder I guess that counts a little ^^

Maybe it's time to have a #4... I can totally understand how it can be time consuming and cause arguments especially if your bride doesn't have the same atitude toward the activity...

[...]

Or an elected (by wfg, I suppose) small-size (3-4?) design committee consisting of active team/forum members with gameplay design knowledge, that takes gameplay decisions (not without sharing and discussion with other wfg/forum members) and that tries to keep the game design coherent?

• Like 3

Well, we only really had 3... Myself, Erik, and Michael. I can only speak for myself and the transition to Erik... but, I took the helm because I wanted to play a Roman era RTS in a similar vein of AOK with some C&C and RON twists to it. Then I went out and recruited people with a similar vision to help me do just that. Shortly after I got married, I recognized that 0 A.D. wasn't helping my relationship with my bride. So, I recruited Erik to take the administrative role (from gamedev.net? I forget...). He's done a fabulous job since and has stuck with the project longer than I have now.

I actually just sent in an email after seeing a post on the web site about open positions. I still don't really get why I was allowed on as I had no prior experience of this kind of project, much less leading one ;):P But I am grateful as it has allowed me to be a part of a wonderful project with talented people. (And while in terms of years I might have stuck with the project longer, I haven't put in anywhere near as much time/effort into the project as Jason did. Even years are debatable as he's still around to some extent ;) )

Or an elected (by wfg, I suppose) small-size (3-4?) design committee consisting of active team/forum members with gameplay design knowledge, that takes gameplay decisions (not without sharing and discussion with other wfg/forum members) and that tries to keep the game design coherent?

A committee doesn't work, we did try that, but then you still need to have one person who is responsible for making sure there actually are meetings/discussions/decisions and makes the final decision in case people disagree. What we do need is someone with a vision for 0 A.D. and I'm afraid I'm not that person. When I joined Jason was still around, and after he left Michael was always there with his experience and historical knowledge. I guess I got a bit complacent in that regard, and never got on top of the design part. Could I become? Maybe, but I think 0 A.D. needs someone with more passion for the design. I mean I do care about the game, but it's more on the level of the Vision than the Design Document so to speak. I.e. I do want the game to be an RTS in the style of AoE, but with some added features like territories and citizen soldiers, but I don't really care about the exact number of civs/units or have a set opinion on unit roles etc.

Another point, and one that's been made in-team before, is that it's probably wise to try and split roles up a bit to make sure that people actually have time to do what they are meant to do. The trouble is finding someone who is able to do it, and who is willing to continue doing it for at least a couple of years to come (there's no use in having someone start to get things in order and then leave before things are completed, at least not without having someone else taking over).

• Like 3