Marian reforms - how do I get them?

Hello, I recetly played a map and I saw that the gaia faction had some post-marian legionnaires that attacked me. I even saw them in the scenario builder. Is there a way to get those units in single player at a random map? I thought it would be a technology of some sort, similar to the one that Seleucids have (traditional vs. romanized army), but I just couldn't find it, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

They WERE in game at some point, though.

I still think it's a bad idea to leave them for part 2, as part 2's romans will be imperial romans

.........and imperial Rome had already had their Marian reforms, and the imperial Romans had their own reforms besides. (i forget the names)

Bad design leads to bad balance and fun. :)

Edited by auron2401

I've always thought the ragnarok power was terrible though.
Unless your enemy uses masses of myth units anyway. (That's all the norse heroes are good for)

Anyway, if it functions the same.. hmm. maybe not make them all legionaries.
It should turn the light infantry into auxiliaries as well.

and force the cavalry to be mercenaries. (since that's how it worked from that point on)

Edited by auron2401

I've always thought the ragnarok power was terrible though.

Unless your enemy uses masses of myth units anyway. (That's all the norse heroes are good for)

Anyway, if it functions the same.. hmm. maybe not make them all legionaries.

It should turn the light infantry into auxiliaries as well.

and force the cavalry to be mercenaries. (since that's how it worked from that point on)

I think Ragnarok is strategic. Player can cast it and get a big military boost. The Heroes of Ragnarok are still stronger than normal units, and if cast at the right time this military boost can be exactly what the player need to break a stalemate or overwhelm the enemy. However, if the tactic does not work and the enemy hold fast, then your economy is hurt a lot because all of your gatherer are non-gathering heroes. You have to retrain all new gatherer, which can leave you vulnerable. Anyway, it just one idea how to do it. I am try to think of ways to make the game more ibteresting. Seems like there is not many discussion on how to make the game more interesting.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

the Ragnarok power in AOM is useful situationally, just like all of the God Powers in that game. suppose you're playing the expansion and your opponent manages to summon a Titan: just mass-produce villagers (they're the ones that change into Heroes of Ragnarok--iirc your normal soldiers are unaffected) and then, when he's close enough, use the power to get an instant army of powerful hero units to defeat the giant myth unit

more to the topic at hand, i think it would make more sense for the Imperial/Western Romans to get the legionaries since (though i don't know as much about it as i should) they clearly postdate the height of Republican Rome but WERE around at the height of Imperial Rome (Trajan's reign, iirc)