ressources are not virtual... but real

it's something that works in stronghold because the game is designed around it, throwing in game mechanics like this which would have a massive impact will just make the game worse, unless the entire game is remade from the ground up.

I don't think it would need to be from the ground up. Mostly needs GUI changes and features. The big problem implemtn this right now is the interface (also treasury goes negative which introduce bug, but that not a ground up thing).

I did try it with my mod but the mentioned bugs and lack of UI sypport makes it hard to judge its success. At least, I can see it working very good for things like mercenary pay (though, I have ideas about 'dynamic events' like where the mercenary captain demands payment for his men and things like this that you have to bank up for).

Imagine you are surrounded by massive armies around your big walls. As I suggested, if the army has to be supplied with food , it could be cool for the defensive player to send a sneaky

commando to cut the logistic. Germany took that option when they failed to invade england : they sunk the merchant boats delivering goods to UK

I don't think it would need to be from the ground up. Mostly needs GUI changes and features. The big problem implemtn this right now is the interface (also treasury goes negative which introduce bug, but that not a ground up thing).

I did try it with my mod but the mentioned bugs and lack of UI sypport makes it hard to judge its success. At least, I can see it working very good for things like mercenary pay (though, I have ideas about 'dynamic events' like where the mercenary captain demands payment for his men and things like this that you have to bank up for).

I was thinking balance and how the game is designed. 0ad is a very straight-forward RTS game with a few ideas... "borrowed", from other rts games, but nothing so dramatic as a Physical resource system.

I'll say it again, it works in stronghold because the games are built around the system, it isn't the kind of thing that can be forced in without any consequences to gameplay.

I was thinking balance and how the game is designed. 0ad is a very straight-forward RTS game with a few ideas... "borrowed", from other rts games, but nothing so dramatic as a Physical resource system.

I'll say it again, it works in stronghold because the games are built around the system, it isn't the kind of thing that can be forced in without any consequences to gameplay.

No one is saying that these new idea would not have "consequences." Of course they have consequences. :) The good thing aboout 0 A.D. and indie development is that new things can be try without fear.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

I actually like the idea of having resources stored in warehouses/ city centers/ houses; losing them would lose those stored resources. That would be realistic and strategic and would add a good layer in the game.

As to units consuming food, I agree that having to deal with units individually for the consumption of food would be a little outside of 0 AD's straight-up RTS feel, having supply carts would address this.

Many of you would know of the supply cart's value in Rise of Nations, wherein the supply cart reduces the units attrition. Modifying the supply cart to be the "counter" for food or any other "maintenance resource". We can have the supply cart a necessity whenever a player venture out of his territory (simulating the role of logistics), and losing the supply cart would have drastic consequences on an army. We can also have the supply cart lose points or loaded resources to simulate food/ supplies being used, so that the player needs another supply cart or have to move the existing one to the nearest warehouse/ supply repository for replenishment.

• Like 1