"cc1plus: error: to generate dependencies you must specify either -M or -MM" or missing lib/precompiled.h

Hi,

I'm trying to the travis-ci service to work for testing of some my customizations. The system is quite outdated, but it should work (see details below) - I've no trouble building in an Ubuntu 12.04 lxc container. I'm setting up the system and building with

$ sudo apt-get -qq update$ sudo apt-get -qq install python-software-properties$ sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:wfg/0ad.dev$ sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test$ sudo apt-get -qq update$ sudo apt-get -qq build-dep 0ad$ sudo apt-get -qq install gcc-4.8 g++-4.8 cmake pkg-config$ sudo apt-get -qq remove oracle-java7-installer oracle-java8-installer postgresql-9.2 postgresql-contrib-9.2 postgresql-9.2-postgis-2.1 postgresql-9.3 postgresql-contrib-9.3 postgresql-9.3-postgis-2.1 postgresql-9.4 postgresql-contrib-9.4 postgresql-9.4-postgis-2.1 postgresql-9.1 postgresql-9.1-postgis-2.1 postgresql-9.1-postgis-scripts postgresql-9.2-postgis-scripts postgresql-9.3-postgis-scripts postgresql-9.4-postgis-scripts postgresql-client postgresql-client-9.1 postgresql-client-9.2 postgresql-client-9.3 postgresql-client-9.4 postgresql-client-common postgresql-common postgresql-contrib-9.1$ yes | sudo apt-get -yy --yes dist-upgrade$ export CC=gcc-4.8 CXX=g++-4.8$ cd build/workspaces$ ./update-workspaces.sh$ cd gcc$ make CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/SDL

where I'm experiencing the problem that `make` either fails due to `cc1plus: error: to generate dependencies you must specify either -M or -MM` if `CFLAGS="-M -MM" CXXFLAGS="-M -MM"` is omitted or due to missing `lib/precompiled.h` if they're specified.

I searched for solutions fixing the error message regarding missing -M/-MM options and figured that adding -MM is the way to go<ref>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26203032/hello-world-project-will-not-compile</ref>, but then I have no explanation why `lib/precompiled` isn't generated (because of missing understanding what -M and -MM are good for - _after_ reading the `gcc` manpage section about it). I tried `gcc` 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 without noticing any difference which I'm installing from the `ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test` PPA and which work without any trouble in the Ubuntu 12.04 lxc container.

System information:

$ uname -a && lsb_release -aLinux testing-worker-linux-89e97461-1-15272-linux-4-69692739 2.6.32-042stab090.5 #1 SMP Sat Jun 21 00:15:09 MSK 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/LinuxNo LSB modules are available.Distributor ID:    UbuntuDescription:    Ubuntu 12.04 LTSRelease:    12.04Codename:    precise

See https://travis-ci.org/krichter722/0ad/jobs/69599045 and https://travis-ci.org/krichter722/0ad/jobs/69575782 for detailed build logs of the two failures.