The new pathfinder is (finally) in!

Itms

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Question: (because I'm no programmer and a lot of what was described as fixed went right over my head) The units pathfind better for long distances, but is the lag fixed? As I said, the question is probably answered above, but I just don't understand it. :fool:

Fixed is a big word, but the new pathfinder has a lot less lag than before.

Question: (because I'm no programmer and a lot of what was described as fixed went right over my head) The units pathfind better for long distances, but is the lag fixed? As I said, the question is probably answered above, but I just don't understand it. :fool:

Yeah units moving and calculating how moving around, with obstacles and gates open and close, different size of units,mane water obstacles ( that was very big issue in the past.)

• 3 weeks later...

In Alpha 19., I am noticing these things with short-range pathfinding:

• Send a bunch of units to board a ship. They now take ages as the ship dodges them even more than it did before, and the units spread out in different directions along the shoreline. I find myself having to issue the Stand Ground order to the units and ship to speed up the process.
  • Sometimes a unit will just go for a long walk and then come back again for no apparent reason. I have not seen it enough times to see what the pattern is.
  • Groups of units are worse at assembling around a city centre or storehouse than they were. Once one side is covered in units, the others have a tendency to walk left and right and not make it to either end of the line, and so not join in with the attack /unloading resources / converting.
  • I sent a group of cavalry up a short, narrow valley to an enemy city centre. They walked all the way round the mountains the long way until they nearly got to the enemy city centre, then walked all the way back, then started again, and so on. They did this entire trip 5 or 6 times before they were all wiped out by the couple of archers they were repeatedly marching past.

A few notes on SandJ's observations...

Boarding a ship was always crazy. I never understood why the ship tries to move at all? It should stop when in contact with a shore or something.

The "long walk" is most often in the opposite direction, or that was my impression. It does feel a bit as if some number goes unexpectedly negative (or is it actually a vector?). It happens most often when the target cannot be reached due to blocking units, and ends when meeting an obstacle.

Groups of units at a building: They have a tendency to wander around the intersection of a direct path from their original position to center of the building, and the building's outline. Issuing the command repeatedly helps more units join - if the command is issued again while closer to the end of line, the original position moves and unit now wanders around end of line and has some chance of joining. The distance where it decides against joining is hard to understand - sometimes 4 women are enough to block the 5th on clear ground.