Where are the players?

Totombo

Sometimes spammers are banned, and you can only create one account per hour (to prevent them from returning).

By allowing anonymous chatters, that would either mean that they can only join the lobby once per hour, or spammers could use it and keep joining.

I really don't understant what's hard about registering. Could you explain it to me, because I don't know why you're writing these long posts if you can register with two keystrokes (one for the nickname, and one for the password).

The nickname was changeable in A14 or A15. And it was abused very often (like spamming with nickname changes, impersonating other people, ...) So that feature was removed on the request of the players.

Also, requiring the email address would make the registration process a lot harder (enter an extra field, wait for confirmation mail, click confirmation link, log in to the game again). While I thought you just wanted the registration process to be easier.

• Like 8

This anonymous logon idea sounds like a waste of resources. The potential for spam or other problems is to large.

As for the reason for not playing games for me there's 2 main reasons.

LAG - The game often lags and so many games become unplayable just when the game starts getting interesting. Like when an epic battle is about to start then the whole thing starts crawling. This is really frustrating and I've played games and dealt with it a bit. But I know others have given up on multiplayer due to this lag issue.

People can't host - Many people are unable to host and can not create games even when they want to. I realise this is an issue due to the fact there are no dedicated servers so people have to host and have port forwarding enabled. Alot of people are unable to get this to work and it is a bit of a hurdle for new comers when they can't create games.

One potential semi-solution/hack to this hosting problem I thought of was maybe we could run a hosting only mode in the game as well. Where people who have a computer that can host but may not be playing at that moment can just leave there computer to hose an open game. The game may show up as like Game Room1 or some thing and the first person who joins could become the game creator with the host just running the hosting in the background and not be in the actual game when it runs or see the things going on (Server only mode).. I'm not sure how hard this would be to code or if it would be popular or not but its an idea.

The new pathfinder is in Development , the biggest optimization issue/task to solve is that.

Here a list of game performance Task

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GamePerformance

Here the technical topic

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16991

The thread you linked to was from 2013 :-(. I guess the Lag issues here to stay?

The thread you linked to was from 2013 :-(. I guess the Lag issues here to stay?

No pathfinding algorithms are not simple or trivial implementing is also not trivial the code is being written and tested incrementally. The person working on it like all of our coders is a volunteer so has not a lot of time to work on it maybe we all have lives apart from 0AD ;) it will be done if not in the near future than when it's done after all this project has been at it for a long time like most FOSS projects it ebbs and flows dependent on resources (programmers,artist and researchers).

Enjoy the Choice :)

I want to see a FOSS RTS game work so much.

It looks so close to working. If the lag was fixed i'm sure more people would start to play and 0ad would gain more energy.

I can just imagine if the map editor was as powerful as the one in starcraft or Warcraft 3 and there was no lag in the game. The potential of this game is immense.

I hope this project gets past this lag issue. Even though as people have said fixing the Lag is a very non trivial issue. Its a vital issue.

• Like 1