Should Women be convertable ?

Stan`

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should Women be convertable

• Yes
    • No

Game can be mix of micro command and macro command. Meaning you can set policies that affect unit behavior, while still able to command them at tactical level, even override the macro policy on individual or squad level. Something to think.

Ofc speed belongs to a RTS, I didn't claim the opposite. But the more you make the game about speedy micro, the more you dumb down strategy, as there is less time left to think of plans. That said most successful competitive RTS game go that way, but it's not something I really like and I think it partly happens to appeal to players more familiar with faster paced, action-packed game genres.

Repetition is inevitable as well, but mechanics such as manual or semi-manual looting seem tedious and over-repetitive to me. Handling it automatically depending on unit stance does sound better though.

To be serious.

The resource system is a lot of tedious, and partly, repetive micro management, just like it is in Age of Empires. It's a major task to micro your villagers to get the resources you need. Which is fine, as the game economics are sort of fun to manage.

If you want an overall more macro/strategy oriented strategy you shouldn't build a game with a detailed resource system, a long lasting, repetitive phase of early resource collection and a single soldier system that is pretty intense on micro as units die very fast. There need to be way more teching options for macro based strategies.

You're sort of contradicting the whole basic concept that's in place right now.

For more macro you need:

- teching paths with way more depth (Infantry upgrades, arhcer upgrades, cav upgrades, resource upgrades, base upgrades etc. pp)

- resource collection needs to be less micro intensive (less workers, less micro necessary to collect resources)

- hardcounter system soft counters always mean that you can micro your units for a much better effect than with a hard counter concept. Hard counters make unit choices (aka macro) more important than microing the individual army)

- more map control options to zone your opponent

- more options of securing/harvesting outer resource spots

- bigger maps (which partly is ingame, because you can pick the map size)

As long as there is possible room for APM below 120 the game isn't fast in any way. Some additional options for tactical micro do not hurt the game at all. Like I said before. If effect of collect slaves outweights the amount of micro necessary to do it that feature is completely fine. Things get complicated once you need to micro for no benefit.

edit: Dont get me wrong, I like the approach that is done with the game right now, but like I stated, there need to be some major changes to be done to push the game into another direction. And it's not easy to do that.

Edited by DarcReaver

The balance between macro and micro can be handled in many different ways. I like the rather detailed economy the game has, so most of my suggestions take it for granted and propose/reject changes in other fields to reduce overall micro.

On your macro specifics:

- Agreed on tech depth, that's almost exactly what I'm doing in my mod.

- As stated, I'm in favor of the general concept in resource gathering. A very basic eco doesn't necessarily favor macro, most games with such an eco are in fact designed that way to allow for intense troop micro, with some exceptions that rely on the (boring IMO) "spam huge numbers of troops" concept.

- I'm mostly for soft counters, as they can represent realistic unit roles better in most cases. Slightly stronger than currently in the game though.

- Agreed on the rest.

Edited by Prodigal Son
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...