Need help, II Phase Broken!

Skuggor

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I've being playing for a while at 0 AD and suddenly became my favourite RTS, bringing me back to AoE times **

After some times I've discovered this 1000 AD project and I HAD to try it out. It looks gorgeous but I've got a little big problem to solve... basically when I reach the II phase I'm unable to build the relative buildings!

I've tryied to reach the III phase but nothing changed, then I've deleted the mod, downloaded it again here but nothing changed.

I'm not really skilled in this kind of things, and I've basically no idea how to handle this, I'm trying to google out some tip or solution since 3 days but I'm stuck and unable to find another download source... Maybe I need to download some other content, since the file up here is the only one i've installed so far, exept the Alpha 18 client.

I hope for any kind of help, and I'm sorry to bother you with this!

Thanks =)

Welcome to the forums! :hi:

Could you explain what you do exactly and what buildings you can't build (names)? (Please note btw that we didn't release a version with Alpha 18 so expect to encounter a few more warnings/errors, also newer commits could break compatibility with A18)

Thanks for your welcome, and your answer of course!

Well, I've copied and pasted the content of the file linked in my previous post in the mod folder, then I've just started the game and automatically it loaded the mod.

After that I've started playing, reaching the requirements to accomplish the II phase,but once entered in the phase I've seen that barraks, temple, market and CC were still gray, with the wording "Requirements: II Phase".

Maybe, as you said, it's some kind of incompatibility with the Alpha 18. Just to say, I've also tried the Rise of the East mod, which goes without troubles.

Thanks again for your help and attention!

Hello Skuggor, and welcome to 0AD!

Do you have any other mods installed and active? And when you go to the mod-selection screen, is the millenniumad mod listed [a]after 0ad in the bottom most space?

We're assuming you're trying to play as the norse civ, right? (You don't actually explicitly say...) And not that it should matter, but which OS (Windows, Linux, OSX) are you running the game on?

Hi, thanks for your answer!

Well, I've no other mod installed. Basically when i start the game the mod is already running, if I go in the mod-selection screen I only see the milleniumAD mod in the lower panel, nothing else, no 0ad here...

If selecting milleniumAD I click on Start the mod it gives me tons of errors, pretty much all the same with the wording : [xxx.xxx] error:Trying to use a sprite that doesn't exist ("background-hellenes1-1"). The xxx-xxx are just growing numbers.

Another thing: if I click X the mod will move to the upper panel and then, if I try to enable it on the top left it prints me "Dependency not met: 0ad" in red, not moving the mod in the lower pan

I've tryied to play norse indeed, and I'm running Windows 7 right now.

I hope this can help you solving my problem! Thanks a lot for your time! =)

Alpha 18 requires one additional step to play the mod due to a packaging oversight: In the public.zip (which is in the public folder) there is a mod.json. Copy it and put it just outside of the zip file. (so you have 2 files inside the public folder: public.zip and mod.json)

I've followed your procedure, and now in the mod selection screen the 0 AD game content appeared, then I moved the millenium AD mod after the 0 AD one (as s0600204 told me) and the buildings in phase II are now available! Thanks a lot!

Unfortunatly, since I'm not a really lucky person now I'm having trouble with the III Phase... I cannot even trigger it! When I fullfil the requirements it shows me something like "Requires: -2 to build" and i'm stuck..again!

Sorry for bother you with this problems, but since you've solved the first one I'm pretty sure you'll be able to help me with this new one! Thanks again! :D

Edited by Skuggor

Skuggor: Interesting. I'm getting the same issue. Thank you for reporting this.

neiktb: I notice there is some confusion as to the phase the barracks and the blacksmith structures are supposed to belong to...

Blacksmith:

[0ad] template_structure_military_blacksmith.xmlRequiredTechnology: phase_townVisibleClasses: Town[millenniumad] norse_blacksmithRequiredTechnology: phase_villageClasses: Town Village
Barracks:

[0ad] template_structure_military_barracks.xmlRequiredTechnology: phase_villageVisibleClasses: Village[millenniumad] norse_barracksRequiredTechnology: phase_townClasses: Town
So, the blacksmith and the barracks are being read by 0ad as belonging to both the Village and a Town phases. Also, the Classes list of the blacksmith in-game contains the Town token twice (I suppose it would be nice if the xml-parser would detect and remove duplicate tokens, but meh).

I don't know if 0ad's confusion over the classes is the cause of Skuggor's problem, although I suspect it may be a contributing factor, but either way it probably should be cleared up. (Edit: Amended files to test, problem still exists)

Edited by s0600204

Okay, I've worked out what the problem is. It's because the norse civ uses phase_town_norse followed by phase_city_generic. phase_city_generic expects phase_town_generic to be researched, but because the norse civ uses its own variant, phase_town_generic never is researched and thus phase_city_generic remains unavailable.

neiktb: I've come up with a solution. In fact, three possible solutions. They each work, but also each have a problem/drawback to that approach: (all links point to changesets on GitHub)

• Options 1 and 2 are variants on the same theme and both have the same issue - in that the icon for the city-phase tech appears besides the icon for the town-phase tech, rather than the preferred state of it only appearing once the town phase tech has been selected for research. Whilst this was happening anyway with the norse civ, this UI problem will now affect all civs that use phase_city_generic whilst this mod is loaded.
  • Option 3 does not have this problem - with the icon for the city-phase icon only appearing once the town-phase has been or is in the process of being researched - however it is also incompatible with the aristeia mod, due to both of them modifying the same file (phase_city). This means that a norse vs egyptian match would not be fair with one of these two civs unable to properly reach the city phase.
Like I said, any of the three options will fix the problem, but I'd like some feedback/discussion before one is chosen and merged into master.
  • Like 1

Another option that would fix the issue of option 3 would be to move the modifications of phase_city to eg phase_city_mymod which is auto-researched upon researching phase_city (which is itself auto-researched upon researching one of the actual phase_city_{generic,$civ} techs).

Option 1: no. it doesn't work when multiple mods want to do the same thing (the file gets overwritten again, and you lose your stuff
Option 2: as you say, it's ugly
Option 3: again, conflicts

AFACS, it's impossible to solve this issue correctly in your mod, we probably need to discuss it and change somewhere else.

• 3 weeks later...