NAT Punch-through feature?

kumaryu

I think many of us are connecting from behind routers that are not within our control. This being the case, port-forwarding configurations cannot be changed. One way to bypass the problem might be to implement a NAT punch-thorugh?

At present, the function of the lobby appears to be to find and match players. The game connections are presumably made directly between the host and the client. Would it make sense to develop a NAT punch-through server alongside the lobby so that the connections between the host and the client both behind NAT'd routers could occur and there would be no need to open ports on most routers?

This would obviously increase the processor load on the server but not as much as if the games were hosted on the server. Scalability may be an issue if the number of connected computers increased massively but that would mean that the game is becoming more popular and with popularity would come more possibilities.

So would I be correct in understanding that an attempt was made to implement such a feature using miniupnpc but was not completed? Or does it partially work already? Is the issue primarily to do with lack of time/resources to identify/fix the issue?

Alas I'm not a dev so my contribution to a fix would be negligible to non-existent.

That said however, bringing multi player game-play to those who, for whatever reason, cannot set up port-forwarding on the router may help to further stimulate interest in the game. My recent rekindling of interest in the game (as well as past interest in similar games) is precisely due to its multi-player features.

----

Lady Tanit, Face of Baal, hear our prayers and help us overcome the demons of aether blocking our packets. I hearby pledge a hecatomb of goats should you choose to grant us this wish. :kiss:

miniupnpc just tries to forward the port automatically, nothing to do with NAT punch-through. Since UPnP is quite hit-and-miss it still leaves the issue of having working hosting for everyone. Nobody is currently working on that ticket so there is no progress.

STUNTMAN (Apache 2.0) has the same compatibility state of gloox (GPLv3): they are compatible when the whole game is released under GPLv3(+), not if the game would be GPLv2 only. Also STUNTMAN should only be useful when gloox is used and then the GPLv3(+) option is already implied, so it won't add any new practical limitation.