Punic Faction questions

J1N6666

Hello, I'm a new player to 0 ad so I have a few questions for the glorious citizens of Bal'Haman. (Carthage)

What's the difference between each of the merc trees? It seems all 3 of the embassies both have a melee unit and a calv unit.

Is there special perks between gaullic / celts / romans or is this area still WIP?

What do you guys do or go with? Do you build 1 or all 3?

Personally, I feel mercs are just a sink for metal at the time and are pretty worthless. The citizenry seems to be a much better force in all aspects.

The Swordsman infantry(Roman/Celtic) have good deal with all , I mean is very balanced , have decent crush attack to destroy building more than Spearman class

Cavalry Sword (Celtic) can deal with building and siege engines but their counter is the Spearman

Iberians have slingers, they are most dangerous range to destroy buildings and Infrantry but can deal with some Cavalry (Spear)

What do you guys do or go with? Do you build 1 or all 3?

Personally, I feel mercs are just a sink for metal at the time and are pretty worthless. The citizenry seems to be a much better force in all aspects.

Usually I build two of the same embassy (we can't build 3 embassy I think) and focus on one of the unit from these embassy (the unit that will go well with the units I'm producing from barracks/forts/CC etc)

On some maps, you'll have 2 or 3 extra metal near your base and not much wood --> you'll be happy to have these merco ^^

Like many things, if you adapt to the map, your enemy's civ and your enemy's unit, you'll find an opportunity to use these merco (of course not in every game, you can play a full game carthage without embassy depending on the situation)

Gauls are easiest to pull because wood is almost always plentiful, i am loath to build the iberian and itallian mercenaries because of hat it costs to build their embassies.

Also, in terms of units, Italians are the worst. (spearcav doesn't beat anything, and is downright worse than swordcav)

Iberians have the most choice (swordcav slingers skirmishers)

Gauls are all about hacking up a storm. (both their units are hack damage focussed)

Edited by auron2401

The Iberian mercenaries have always been my first choice, due the flexibility they offer, because other than swordsmen, cavalry spearmen, and cavalry archers, the Iberian mercenaries basically give the Carthaginians access to everything. Especially since I have never found swordsmen to be nearly as effective as spearmen, and that is what the Gallic and Italian mercenaries both offer in the form of infantry. And cavalry spearmen are technically available in the form of the Sacred Band Cavalry anyway, as Champions to boot, so one isn't really losing anything by not going for the Italian mercenaries. Which indeed makes the Italian mercenaries the least attractive option.

• Like 2