Athens skirmishers

av93

They cost metal, cause are mercenaries, okay. Right now mercs haven't no bonus, so what it's the purpouse of having them? Right now athens can't develop a ranged citizien soldiers economy (cause the other option, slingers, cost stone) so they are vulnerable to ranged cav in early game. Of course this can be seen as a setoff of the mining bonus.. but... any thought on this?

Hey av,

Put 10 soldiers on stone, you'll be able to make slingers 5 by 5 non stop from a barrack. It is actually much more easy in terms of macro with athenians and britons because for stone you don't need to remake the dropsites (for wood you have to remake dropsite because the forest disappear fast).

With a good build order you can develop a ranged citizen soldiers economy, no problem.

Same for metal. You just need to find a good balance.

On maps where there is not a lot of wood, athenians and britons are the best.

Alex

Edited by Alekusu

I agree, but stone and metal are more precious. They can be used to get to 3 phase, make defensive structures, sword units and a lot of technologies. Maybe I have to adapt a strategy to them. BTW mercenaries should get some bonus to justifiy their metal price.

Thank you, alex!

I agree but that will depends on the map, therefore we would have some civ stronger/weaker on particular maps and this make civ more unique.
Choosing the civ after deciding the map should be both a pleasure (a civ you like to play) and a strategic decision.