WIP Atlas UI Changes

Hi everyone,

Today I want to show you, what will be in the a19 release about atlas. The main idea is to give to all map makers more space to work over map. I hope you like, I will try to keep updating this post about my work. :yes3:
Here is the video

New map:
Object List filter(Include inside template content)
Display Template, Entity Settings (with variations)
This videos show terrain tab, Display settings, environment settings and Actor Viewer tool
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

And don't know how useful it would be( For me it is ), if there is a way to separate main objects from the mods, maybe an additional check_list listing the current mods? In this way all the objects don't get mixed and you don't forget what object you used, eyecandy stuff will be more in time.

• Like 1

And don't know how useful it would be( For me it is ), if there is a way to separate main objects from the mods, maybe an additional check_list listing the current mods? In this way all the objects don't get mixed and you don't forget what object you used, eyecandy stuff will be more in time.

That would fall under improved Atlas mod support and is definitely planned.
  • Like 1

hmmm, I like persistent panels more but this approach very very intriguing. Did you know you can increase space already with Alt-Enter?

One thing that is badly missing from Atlas is minimap. Also, would be nice to be able to put units in nice formations so they are spaced nicelyy on the map and these are what they are in at start of match.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

Please make it possible to dock the panels one might want to keep open, just having floating panels can get hard to work with in the long run (if nothing else it can be hard to put panels right along the edges and you'd end up with less space to use rather than more :P ). Things like create a new map etc of course doesn't have to be dockable, but other things. It's of course the ultimate if you can have both though :) And customize the GUI to your own workflow :) Photoshop is really one of the best applications in this regard, you can rearrange almost everything and have things floating or docked as you like :)

Please make it possible to dock the panels one might want to keep open, just having floating panels can get hard to work with in the long run (if nothing else it can be hard to put panels right along the edges and you'd end up with less space to use rather than more :P ). Things like create a new map etc of course doesn't have to be dockable, but other things. It's of course the ultimate if you can have both though :) And customize the GUI to your own workflow :) Photoshop is really one of the best applications in this regard, you can rearrange almost everything and have things floating or docked as you like :)

hmmm, I like persistent panels more but this approach very very intriguing. Did you know you can increase space already with Alt-Enter?

One thing that is badly missing from Atlas is minimap. Also, would be nice to be able to put units in nice formations so they are spaced nicelyy on the map and these are what they are in at start of match.

that is the idea :P you can dock too

The idea is give you the same behavior like visual studio or another programs that allow you to do your own "workspace" :) as you wish.
In my channel there is another video that show about dock
:) enjoy
  • Like 5

Not sure if this would be something worth pursuing, but I recently posted it in another thread. Thought it was relevant to this discussion:

...there was an idea in the past that you could make a selection in Atlas of multiple entities and save them as a "group". These groups could be then be added to a player's custom pallet of tools. So perhaps it was a collection of trees, rocks, shrubs and bushes - and you define/call that "TemperateGroup01" or something. Atlas saves (or "copies") the x,y (not z) and rotation of each entity/actor into that group xml file. This could then be recalled at any time later and "pasted" onto the terrain, conforming itself to the terrain. The group could be rotated like what is featured in the new alpha release video. The group would conform to the terrain and the z height would be altered for placement as required. I'm not sure if this was documented or implemented, but it might be worth looking into to achieve what I think is what your going after here with this farm idea?

• Like 2

new map video added

Nice work :)

I think the heightmap texture should be selected in the main "new map" dialog, not after you select "Apply". Apply should be consistent in simply creating the new map. Also, are the player settings necessary for empty and heightmap? (I can't think of why someone would set them there) These are just UI issues, I have ideas for other features and changes, but I don't think we should try to do everything at once.

• Like 1

Nice work :)

I think the heightmap texture should be selected in the main "new map" dialog, not after you select "Apply". Apply should be consistent in simply creating the new map. Also, are the player settings necessary for empty and heightmap? (I can't think of why someone would set them there) These are just UI issues, I have ideas for other features and changes, but I don't think we should try to do everything at once.

I was asking me the same question about player settings when we are using empty map, so Im guessing this button only will be show when you select "random" maps, am i right?

and about your suggestion It is fine(about heighmap), i will change in this way :). So let me know your ideas, we are in the time to break some stuff and improve atlas.

When "generate" is clicked in the random map tab, the player settings send to rmgen should enforce "specific civ" for all players (Else all players with unscpecified civs will fall back to the same civ) while the settings in Atlas should stay unchanged.

An menu item "enforce specific civs on random maps" to toggle this would likely be best - default should be checked.

It's not a big deal but the automated unchecking when reducing player numbers is annoying for random map testing (e.g. checking for Iberian civ bonus wall issues)

I agree on chosing the base terrain in "new map". However, I also support a "floodfill" functionality (for terrain texture as well as for entity/actor placement - likely after entity/actor brushes are implemented)

Edited by FeXoR

So let me know your ideas, we are in the time to break some stuff and improve atlas.

It doesn't all need to happen at once though, there is probably enough work for Atlas to last a year, but it should make it to SVN too :)

One idea is to preview the heightmap textures before applying them. Not to preview the actual terrain, only the texture, to know which one is being selected if the names aren't clear.

• Like 2

One idea is to preview the heightmap textures before applying them. Not to preview the actual terrain, only the texture, to know which one is being selected if the names aren't clear.

Preview is definitely double-plus good. (y) The more previews the better IMHO.

Extension can be preview image for map too. Can load preview icon specified in the map.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone