When will 0A.D. 18 be released?

toxemicsquire

The game is very near the release.

The theoretical release date is when there is a freeze in adding more features, then there is a testing phase. This one has been longer to adjust some of the things encountered during the tests. But the game is very near the release. You can expect it this week or next week. Please be patient, this is free software, after all, nobody is paid to do anything, so sometimes, life happens. The common expression is "it will be released when it's ready", and I'm sure everybody wants is as good as possible for the release, so... just a few more days ;-)

• Like 1

Actually it was ready to release at the end of last week but we had to fix two last-last minute bugs that made us repackage the game twice (and packaging takes hours, plus we have to coordinate the packaging to be able to upload the RCs, in a word it takes days).

Currently the RC3 is available here: http://releases.wildfiregames.com/rc/0.0.18-rc3/

If nobody finds a bug in it we can release, everything else is ready.

We're really sorry for the time it takes, we're also a bit tired of waiting because we can't push modifications to the game during the meantime! :D

• Like 3

Hey there, :)

congrats in advance for the next release! I've been following the work done and I find it impressive already. :D

We're really sorry for the time it takes, we're also a bit tired of waiting because we can't push modifications to the game during the meantime! :D

Now, that's funny. I'm sure you already thought about it, but isn't it possible to simply push to another branch instead of waiting a week or two? Especially on SVN, where conflicts can be harder to deal with AFAIK. Just pointing this out, in case it may help about earning some time and pain here. :)

Best regards,

• Like 1

This always happens every release (the feature freeze until the release). What it just means though is that there will be a spike in commits after the release, thus quickly making SVN and A18 incompatible with each other (I find myself compiling the specific revision instead of using the released binary since a self-compiled binary gets me better performance imho).

Hey, :)

Branching in SVN is not fun. When we switch to GIT, we will be able to fix bugs on a release branch and still continue working on the next release concurrently.

It is true that creating a branch on SVN, especially now you're trying to release, could create other kind of problems.

I've seen and followed the git mirror since some time now on Github, are there plans to move there as a main repo?

Btw, if you happen to actually do that, you should avoid pushing the nightly builds there, since it will create a good amount of data overhead on git.

From experience, big data that isn't required to run the game is usually better in another specific repo, or maybe to stay in SVN.

Best regards,

Edited by Bertram