Old school newcomer here

Top o' the mornin' folks,
How is everyone this fine spring day?

My name is Thornskul, you can call me Thornskul (my Elder Scrolls player name) or Sir, up to you :yes3:
I am an old school gamer, solo player... MMORPG's not my style... I grew up playing D&D at live venues in an old hometown and I am a big strategic/tactical game player.

Aside from Elder Scrolls I have, in my repertoire, 0 A.D. as well as Steel Panthers WW2 and Modern and Rise and Fall Civilisations at War. I love these games and they are all I need to fulfil my gaming needs.

One of the things I have been searching out is a "manual" for the RaF Editor pack that shipped with the game. I am aware that the editor is similar to that shipped with EE but I want to put together a dedicated manual just for RAF. I wanted to ask anyone who has clues, ideas, knowledge, concepts or actual settings information for the RaF editor to step up and participate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
Kind regards,
T
:sword_rune:

Good evening and thank you very much Stanislas and Alekusu,
I appreciate the welcome-wagon... so many times these days you go places and no one says "boo" to you until you hit around forty or fifty posts LOL

I was wondering, Stanislas, if I may address this question to you? Though I see sporadic mention of Rise and Fall here and there about the forum, are there many players here who still play the Civilisations at War version do you know?

If so, could we get a one-room forum going for it perhaps?
Respectfully, always,
T

Good evening and thank you very much Stanislas and Alekusu,

I appreciate the welcome-wagon... so many times these days you go places and no one says "boo" to you until you hit around forty or fifty posts LOL

I was wondering, Stanislas, if I may address this question to you? Though I see sporadic mention of Rise and Fall here and there about the forum, are there many players here who still play the Civilisations at War version do you know?

If so, could we get a one-room forum going for it perhaps?

Respectfully, always,

T

Hi =)

I must admit I had to google what rise and fall was XD. I sometimes mention Rise of the East, which is completely different http://www.moddb.com/mods/rote

So I'd say, a few, but it looks like it's hard to make it work on new machines.

Maybe if you find a way to make it work again, you'll gather some new folks.

This subforum is made for that :)

I was play the game in past , was maked by Rick Goodman' s team.(Empire Earth I)

Have some features like units in walls, Battalion system, ship ramming , hero third person and FIrst person control.

But lack of some other basic features.

-----

Rick goodman is master mind creating RTS, but only AoE (I) was the best.

If I may help what exactly go wrong with new windows versions ?

I do not know. I remember something anbout using compatibility mode but that does not work for me.

I was play the game in past , was maked by Rick Goodman' s team.(Empire Earth I)

Have some features like units in walls, Battalion system, ship ramming , hero third person and FIrst person control.

But lack of some other basic features.

-----

Rick goodman is master mind creating RTS, but only AoE (I) was the best.

Biggest flaw in RAF is economic and base building. Mix some feature of RAF (hero POV, ship rammin) with RTW (better battalion management) and some 0 A.D. econ and base build and you have a winner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning everyone,
Old School is back... :bye:

Reference to Rise and Fall Civilisations at war, I have been setting up, testing, adjusting, fiddling and tweaking the in-game settings combinations and I have found the formula that works to solve the problem of military units not spawning for the AI Player in Player created mods.

If I may, also, I am running windows 8 and I have the original disc for the game, purchased from the UK last year for approx $20 USD.
The game installed fine on my machine and I have no running problems.

The relevant settings are as follows:

Player Page 1 - Leave all settings for resources at default values
Player page 2 - Set the start level for each player at 1 and the end levels at 5. Set "CPU Only" to ON for player 2 (AI player) Set "Shared LOS" to ON for each and set "Outpost Only" to OFF.

AI Page - Set all items except "Ignore" to on and set 'Citizen Percentage' to the same for each player (in my case 30%)
Options page: These are, it seems, the important changes - Change game type from 'Scenario' to 'Skirmish' and change 'Game Variant' to ACTION. Set 'Victory Allowed' to ON, 'Unit Improvements' to ON and get ready to Kick or be Kicked...

Veni, Vidi, Vici my friends :lol2:

To be honest I don't even know how many of us old Legionnaires are left but if there are any out there get in touch and maybe we set up our own Rise and Fall Page someplace, or find us a little corner to sit here and mutter like wise old men... :unknw:
Respectfully,
T

wait wait wait

Hold the phone

Doesn't dosbox only emulate old dos programs? :o

Also, it was released at almost the same time as vista, so i doubt you'll need any voodoo tricks just to run it.

Unless linux.

Good morning Auron,

That's true under pretty much most circumstances... that's why I put it in as an afterthought. Just trying to think of some reason why RAF wouldn't run for our friends.

As I say, I am running Windows 8 and I installed; and it runs well, from the proprietary disc. It was just a wild/ random/ tangential thought... out loud so to speak... :rockon:

Afternoon folks,
After consulting with 'The Oracle' (Stanislas :declare: ) I have created a dedicated thread to discuss Rise and Fall: Civilisations at War. If you wish to join in, or follow, please come over to
http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19768

Hoping I won't be the only one sitting in that corner muttering to myself like a wise old man... :lol2:
Thanks and respects,
T