why does multiplayer lag?

While we're at it

why does multiplayer lag? as in command lag. When you issue an order, the unit moves 200-500 ms afterwards. that's quite a lot.

i heard it might have had something to do with multiplayer turns or something.

Yeah, turn lengths are hard coded right now, 500ms in multiplayer games and 200ms in single player games. The reason for the longer multiplayer time is simple, network latency :) It's not a correct solution though, because latency will typically be much less than 500ms and sometimes more, so the game should adjust to the actual conditions (this feature request is buried here)

Also, please start a new topic next time, this isn't a general discussion topic but a specific (invalid) bug report.

• Like 1

Sorry about that, just feel like it didn't deserve a new topic since i had like 2 questions. I feel like there should be a general discussion thing for this sort of thing, but ah it's fine. Where might I discuss this peacefully?

Besides pathfinding, it's 0 A.D. next biggest flaw ;p

Sorry about that, just feel like it didn't deserve a new topic since i had like 2 questions. I feel like there should be a general discussion thing for this sort of thing, but ah it's fine. Where might I discuss this peacefully?

I've gone ahead and split this off into the Game Development & Technical Discussion subforum, which is a good place for this :) You could also use IRC as niektb suggested if you're impatient for answers (Philip could go into quite a bit of detail on this subject), but more people participate on the forum and it's better organized.