Engine Questions

The Undying Nephalim

I think we could get the bloom Post-proc effect to look better, depending on how you actually want it.

I think my recommendation would be to somehow include a "glow map" in addition to normal and spec maps, where the bloom post processing filter is more intense for either the white or black value of the texture file. I've yet to see any engine have such a thing, the only program I know of that has dedicated glow map support is Maya.

• Like 1

I sort of left the issue behind awhile ago, but did anyone ever find a working version of a Collada exporter for Maya that can export joints? I still cannot export any models with joints without them failing to load. I know people have offered to export jointed models for me, but with my hectic schedule I really need to be able to do everyone on my own at any moment's notice and I can't really rely on and wait for other people in the long term. :sweatdrop:

I think we could get the bloom Post-proc effect to look better, depending on how you actually want it.

Those gold-chrome pillars look excellent!

I think my recommendation would be to somehow include a "glow map" in addition to normal and spec maps, where the bloom post processing filter is more intense for either the white or black value of the texture file. I've yet to see any engine have such a thing, the only program I know of that has dedicated glow map support is Maya.

Yes, this could work for terrain texture too, like lava. (y)

Howver, overall I think the bloom post-proc effect in the game right now is not very good. Can't put my finger on it, but it does not look like the kind of bloom I see in other games. It probably need redone.

• Like 1

From my point of view, bloom like it is implemented now is affecting the whole screen (even shadowed parts) with the factor amount specified by the mapmaker. I think bloom should only be visible on the brightest textures affected by sun, when sun intensity exceeds X number and also around bright specular highlights

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sort of left the issue behind awhile ago, but did anyone ever find a working version of a Collada exporter for Maya that can export joints? I still cannot export any models with joints without them failing to load. I know people have offered to export jointed models for me, but with my hectic schedule I really need to be able to do everyone on my own at any moment's notice and I can't really rely on and wait for other people in the long term. :sweatdrop:

Well, I've still yet to find a working exporter for Maya that can get my animations and models with joints in the game without errors. I'm kind of at a complete stand still now. :wallbash:

I guess I could just hand the jointed models off to another person who can export them, I just really don't want to have to rely on other people especially when I need to make minute to minute changes to animations.

Maybe a silly question, but we still have old PSA animations around (like around here: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/animation/biped ).

They seem to work with the engine, so perhaps you can export to that.

Otherwise, all artists work with blender AFAIK, so to get better help, you should probably try to get those animations ported to blender as a start.

Btw, I'm still waiting for you on IRC about some coding questions.

I'm not into maya, but I found some stuff that may help:

http://vandaengine.org/exporting-from-maya-opencollada-collada/

Exporting with that did indeed result in something different, a new error though:

"Model art/meshes/structural/zev_fpump is boned with unboned animation."

Btw, I'm still waiting for you on IRC about some coding questions.

I apologize, I've seriously just had no time at all with my hectic schedule to set aside time needed to talk. I have three huge projects I'm involved in and this one is sort of lower priority at the moment.

• Like 1

Exporting with that did indeed result in something different, a new error though:

The only useful thing I can think of to try to help is directing you to the export animation tutorial. Check if you're missing any step, like creating an .xml that defines all the bones in the armature and its hierarchy, and assigning the animations to the unit actor:

http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17842

Check out the introduction, rig setup, and step 3. Basically, the ones that aren't blender-specific

There is a fixed ticket with the same error message: #2332, you can check whether your error has the same source (which was the non-unique root identifier, given the commit description). Edited by fcxSanya

Check out ColladaMaya or maybe this? https://collada.org/mediawiki/index.php/OpenCOLLADA

I'm not a Maya guy either... but I am a Max guy. When we first transitioned to COLLADA and .dae files, 3ds Max didn't natively support a .dae export. We had to use plugins. Most artists used 3ds Max and not Blender then as well. So, the game engine was largely developed around the ColladaMax exported .dae files. That was 2006-2007ish... today Max has it's own .dae export. I don't think the natively exported files work with pyrogenesis (at least they didn't last time I checked), only this plugin worked. Long story short... I wonder if Maya has the same issue?

Perhaps you could use a plugin. Would any of these work? http://colladamaya.sourceforge.net/file_releases.php

I noticed that this appears to have some activity as well? https://github.com/KhronosGroup/OpenCOLLADA

Long story short... I wonder if Maya has the same issue?

All my dae files with no joints at all work fine and show up in the engine. It's only models I export with joints that give me errors. I guess I'll attach the dae I'm trying to get to work with joints to this post, maybe there's something else I'm doing wrong that has nothing to do with the exporter.

zev_fpump1.zip

You should also make a skeleton.xml file for your animation. The skeleton file makes it possible to reuse the same animation on multiple models (so you can have multiple human models without having to redo the animation work).

Here's how you can create that skeleton.xml:

If you open the DAE file with a text editor (like notepad on Windows, or better, notepad++), you can search for the text "Armature".

In your file, you bump into the armature at line 169. There you have an armature called "Armature", inside it, a joint called "Joint1", and inside that joint, another joint called "Joint2".

I don't know if it's possible in your editor, but giving more descriptive names would help I think.

Then you copy that hierarchy to a skeleton like you can see in this directory: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/skeletons/

In your case, it should probably look like

<skeletons>  <standard_skeleton title="Custom Armature" id="my_armature">    <bone name="Joint1">      <bone name="Joint2"></bone>    </bone>  </standard_skeleton>  <skeleton title="Custom Armature" target="my_armature">    <identifier>      <root>Armature</root>    </identifier>    <bone name="Joint1"><target>Joint1</target>      <bone name="Joint2"><target>Joint2</target></bone>    </bone>  </skeleton></skeletons>
Do watch out that your root name (in this case, the rather generic name "Armature" needs to be unique for your animation set (you can't have two skeleton definitions with the same root name). So choosing "Armature" as root name isn't the best option.

If that doesn't work, please tell us which skeleton you created.

I'm still getting the "is boned with unboned animaton" error no matter what I do.

Here's the skeleton xml file:

<skeletons>  <standard_skeleton title="Custom Armature" id="my_armature">    <bone name="Joint1">      <bone name="Joint2"></bone>    </bone>  </standard_skeleton>  <skeleton title="Custom Armature" target="my_armature">    <identifier>      <root>Armature</root>    </identifier>    <bone name="Joint1"><target>Joint1</target>      <bone name="Joint2"><target>Joint2</target></bone>    </bone>  </skeleton></skeletons>

The actor xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><actor version="1">  <castshadow/>  <group>    <variant name="Fuel Pump">      <animations>        <animation file="other/zev_fpump1_idle.dae" name="Idle" speed="800"/>      </animations>      <mesh>structural/zev_fpump1.dae</mesh>      <props>         <prop actor="props/structures/decals/zev_road_10x10.xml" attachpoint="root"/>		 <prop actor="props/structures/zev/zev_fpool.xml" attachpoint="root"/>      </props>      <textures>	    <texture file="structural/zev_cchurch1.dds" name="baseTex"/>	    <texture file="structural/zev_cchurch1_normal.dds" name="normTex"/>	    <texture file="structural/zev_cchurch1_spec.dds" name="specTex"/>	  </textures>    </variant>  </group>  <group>    <variant frequency="100" name="Idle"/>    <variant name="garrisoned">      <props>        <prop actor="props/special/common/garrison_flag_celt.xml" attachpoint="garrisoned"/>      </props>    </variant>    <variant name="death">      <props>        <prop actor="particle/destruction_smoke_med.xml" attachpoint="root"/>        <prop actor="particle/destruction_dust_med.xml" attachpoint="root"/>        <prop actor="particle/destruction_dust_med_gray.xml" attachpoint="root"/>        <prop actor="props/structures/celts/barracks_props_new.xml" attachpoint="root"/>        <prop actor="props/structures/celts/barracks_props_1.xml" attachpoint="root"/>        <prop actor="props/structures/celts/barracks_weapons.xml" attachpoint="root"/>        <prop actor="props/structures/decals/celt_barracks.xml" attachpoint="root"/>      </props>    </variant>  </group>  <material>player_trans_parallax_spec.xml</material></actor>

I've attached the model dae and the animation dae to the post. Hopefully I'll get this figured out.

FPumpdae.zip

<skeleton title="Custom Armature" target="my_armature">

<identifier>

<root>Armature</root>

I haven't test to import it into the game, but I'll put my money on the root identifier.

Use the bone (or joint) that you use as "main joint" or "root bone" when defining the root (in your case is "joint1").

You used the name of the armature object, and I think that might be causing the problem.

Also try to avoid uppercase characters when naming bones, just in case (when importing the collada file into blender the bone names are all in lowercase)

like this:

<skeletons>  <standard_skeleton title="Custom Armature" id="my_armature">    <bone name="joint1">      <bone name="joint2"></bone>    </bone>  </standard_skeleton>   <skeleton title="Custom Armature" target="my_armature">    <identifier>      <root>joint1</root>    </identifier>    <bone name="joint1"><target>joint1</target>      <bone name="joint2"><target>joint2</target></bone>    </bone>  </skeleton></skeletons>

On a side note, when I imported the collada file of the animation into blender, it had keyframes but the bones didn't move. Not sure if that's your "idle" animation or something is wrong there.

• Like 1

Got it to work using your daes (placed in art/meshes/structural/zev_fpump1.dae and art/animation/other/zev_fpump1_idle.dae), your actor file (placed in art/actors/) and Enrique's skeleton file (placed in art/skeletons/fuel_pump.xml). (Just complains about missing textures, but that's ok)

Do you have any other new skeleton xml files around?

• Like 1

I only have two custom skeletons in the game at the moment:

pump_skeleton.xml:

<skeletons>  <standard_skeleton title="Custom Armature" id="my_armature">    <bone name="joint1">      <bone name="joint2"></bone>    </bone>  </standard_skeleton>   <skeleton title="Custom Armature" target="my_armature">    <identifier>      <root>joint1</root>    </identifier>    <bone name="joint1"><target>joint1</target>      <bone name="joint2"><target>joint2</target></bone>    </bone>  </skeleton></skeletons>

wormhole_skeleton.xml:

<skeletons>	<standard_skeleton title="Wormhole Rotation" id="WormholeRotation">		<bone name="joint1">			<bone name="joint2" />		</bone>	</standard_skeleton>	<skeleton title="WormholeRotation" target="WormholeRotation"><identifier><root>joint1</root></identifier>		<bone name="joint2"><target>joint1</target>			<bone name="joint2_Controller"><target>joint2</target></bone>		</bone>	</skeleton></skeletons>