21 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the rice field

• Perfect !
    • Good !
    • It's seems okay
    • Bad
    • Awful
    • Other (Please comment)

The intersections look a little odd on flat ground, maybe having some variation in height on flat ground to get rid of that would help. only about enough to cover the terrace edges though

also be for having an actual spec-mapped rice paddy ground texture instead of water too

Edited by LordGood
  • Like 1

I think it better to have a very deep foundation and make it not hug the ground like normal farms, so then these farms will stick out of the side of a hill unlike other farm field. But when placed on flat ground it would be flat like other field.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

Some comments:

You might have done this already but you should probably separate each field to use an adaptative height like we do with farm trees.

Everything I've seen about terraced rice farms suggests it looks more like a "step pyramid" than what you've done so far. I would try making it more regular and have more elements to make "thinner" rice fields (if you had 7 stages instead of 3, it'd probably look a lot better)

I suggest you reduce the height of your walls a lot. On flat ground, it should basically look like a single, big water field, but shouldn't come out of the ground much.

I would also try using the "adaptative height" feature to make it look like a single field on flat terrain. Basically have several terraces, but put them slightly below the water line (on flat ground). If there is some elevation, they will come up and be seen, but on flat ground it'll look like this.

My suggestion is to think of it like a step pyramid: the lowest terrace should be the size of the whole thing, then each subsequent level slightly smaller.

The rice itself looks somewhat fine but I'd make sure it looks less square-ish.

• Like 1

Should rice fields be the same size as farms?

Try making rice fields the same shape (square) as farms so that they can be positioned side by side like our farms usually are. I may be wrong, but most rice fields are not terraced on hilly ground, and most people will not build them on hilly ground in 0 A.D. either.

Below is an example showing old rice fields near Beijing. Notice many of the fields are actually square shaped:

640px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_137-004023%2C_Ch

You could make the flat fields have slightly different colours (use different actors in 1 template) to create a nice field effect:

Vietnam-Asia-Rice-Fields-400x300.jpg

The outside of the rice field could also be green more like these - I think it'll look nicer than the mud texture you're using.

Some comments:

You might have done this already but you should probably separate each field to use an adaptative height like we do with farm trees.

Everything I've seen about terraced rice farms suggests it looks more like a "step pyramid" than what you've done so far. I would try making it more regular and have more elements to make "thinner" rice fields (if you had 7 stages instead of 3, it'd probably look a lot better)

I suggest you reduce the height of your walls a lot. On flat ground, it should basically look like a single, big water field, but shouldn't come out of the ground much.

I would also try using the "adaptative height" feature to make it look like a single field on flat terrain. Basically have several terraces, but put them slightly below the water line (on flat ground). If there is some elevation, they will come up and be seen, but on flat ground it'll look like this.

My suggestion is to think of it like a step pyramid: the lowest terrace should be the size of the whole thing, then each subsequent level slightly smaller.

The rice itself looks somewhat fine but I'd make sure it looks less square-ish.

I have nine objects, it adapts to the terrain height as you've seen on the screenshot as you can see on the other screenshots (on the last one the terrain is flat)

I understand what you want but i don't see how to make it look good, cause there will never be enough terrain offset to make it come out right.

@Pureon, I see, however it's mostly muddy because I forgot to add the plants on it ^^

That's why I made sure they were rounded but squarish so they tile.

The last version is too squarish, both in the wall and the rice plants themselves, but with just a little bit of fudging imo it'd work well. Just make sure we can plot them in-game so that the "ground" areas overlap.

Maybe make it a bit smaller to give a more "condensed" impression? Since otherwise it'd quickly look weird on hills.