Show range area effect.

Bellakor

I can see bug #1368 on the first image: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/1368

Yeah, it because selection are rendered with quads instead of with decals. For units this make sense, but with large things like building selection or aura or other things is make more sense to use more vertice like decal.

I think ranges should be shown in several cases, but not at all times to prevent clutter:

* When placing buildings: ranges that affect building placement e.g. minimum/maximum distance constraints

Here's an example from Rise of Nations, farms have to be placed near a city (thin red circle shows the range):

post-10080-0-51255700-1424586057_thumb.j

* Units with auras: always visible for heroes by default, for other units with hotkey or when selected

* Buildings with auras: visible with hotkey or when selected

* Other: attack range, healer range with hotkey

I also like the idea of highlighting entities currently being affected by auras (not simply when they're in range, as effects could be timed or have other limits).

• Like 8

I agree that there are mamny separate cases that must be judiciously decided upon. And then all bets can be off when a hotkey (Tab is my choice) is pressed. Tab can be the one-stop-shopping that gives the player as much UI-related informations as possible.

In Battle for Middle Earth 2, the humans can only build walls within a distance from the castle (0 A.D.'s CC). When you select to build walls, the ring shows up around the castle to show you this range. I think this would be good for 0 A.D.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

It is neat to see a form of auras back in the game. They were once a huge part of the game design's strategy for play. It was something that really was intended to separate 0 A.D. from being an Age of clone, it also adds more real time tactical depth rather than just masses of brainless fodder being waypointed around the map (like I see in a lot of 0 A.D. youtube videos today). This game wasn't intended to be be won by "they who click their mouse fastest" but rather "they that thinks and strategically out maneuvers their opponents". Auras were key to this idea and implemented in the game at one time, but were never re-added after a rewrite about 8 or so years ago.

More info on their intent and purpose: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/XML.Entity.Traits.Auras

Back in the day, auras were only represented by a simply player color vector ring when an entity was selected.

Morale and stamina (running/charging) were two other aspects to the game that were once fully functional that we lost in that same rewrite... I still morn this loss to this day :crybaby:

• Like 2

It is neat to see a form of auras back in the game. They were once a huge part of the game design's strategy for play. It was something that really was intended to separate 0 A.D. from being an Age of clone, it also adds more real time tactical depth rather than just masses of brainless fodder being waypointed around the map (like I see in a lot of 0 A.D. youtube videos today). This game wasn't intended to be be won by "they who click their mouse fastest" but rather "they that thinks and strategically out maneuvers their opponents". Auras were key to this idea and implemented in the game at one time, but were never re-added after a rewrite about 8 or so years ago.

More info on their intent and purpose: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/XML.Entity.Traits.Auras

Back in the day, auras were only represented by a simply player color vector ring when an entity was selected.

Morale and stamina (running/charging) were two other aspects to the game that were once fully functional that we lost in that same rewrite... I still morn this loss to this day :crybaby:

We have auras working again, See the rotary mill or heroes for example. Now not all of them have been brought back, it's still missing on some units, cause the hero is TBD. :)

Why didn't anyone try to fix them back by then ?

What about an additional single color alpha blending for units effected by an aura (different colors for different aurae)?

Hotkeys for the max range rings should toggle IMO.

I think stamina would indeed be of much value for the game (e.g. for melee charging and/or stamina share as a realistic bonus for formations).

Edited by FeXoR
  • Like 1