Idea for the game: Gods

juanjo

I have an idea that could give a lot of fun. I think that every faction could have four gods in their temple, for example, in Rome, they could be Mars, Minerva, Jupiter and Juno for say someones. When you build the first temple a message would be shown which enables you to choose one god, the name of the temple change at God's temple (depend of the god) and you were given a bonus.Of course, this bonus wouldn't be too exaggerated. I think this would become the game more interesting in all senses.

Some example of gods:

-Romans: I put it before

-Egyptians: Osiris, Isis, Set, Ra

-Gauls: Belenus, Taranis, Esus, Teutates

-Britons: Dagda, Morrigan, Lugh, Brigid

-Sparta: Athena, Ares, Apolo, Zeus

-Athens: Athena, Poseidon, Dionisus, Zeus

They could be also aditional technologies depending of the god choosen, like Panathenea whit Athena (Greeks) or Beltaine with Belenus (gauls).

What do you think about?

• Like 2

Hi juanjo, Welcome.

This game has the aim of being historically accurate.

Since gods are only mentioned in stories rather than physically appearing they had an impact on society (and that's in the game in form of temples and priests) but never physically appeared and/or directly intervened.

So they will not get part of the original game.

However, you are free to build a mod including gods.

Edited by FeXoR
  • Like 2

Hi juanjo, Welcome.

Since gods are only mentioned in stories rather than physically appearing they had an impact on society (and that's in the game in form of temples and priests) but never physically appeared and/or directly intervened.

for me is more about psicological benefits in units like total war than a mythic or mythical, in total war the buildings gives some bonus for example moral be in our game can add some boost in stats
  • Like 1

This is a very interesting idea. As Lion.Kanzen mentioned, the deities' bonuses could be justified by being due to psychological effects; and there is also the fact that priests also often gathered actual practical knowledge about elements of their deity's portfolio, so that for instance priests of a fertility deity would probably have good knowledge of the seasons and etc.

• Like 1

I think the Thomas Theorem applies here:

If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences.

In other words: When men believe in gods, there are real and physical consequences. On the other hand, looking at Europe right now, I'm happy for every little space where gods don't play a role. Even if that place is called 0 A.D.....

• Like 4

for me is more about psicological benefits in units like total war than a mythic or mythical, in total war the buildings gives some bonus for example moral be in our game can add some boost in stats

This is a very interesting idea. As Lion.Kanzen mentioned, the deities' bonuses could be justified by being due to psychological effects; and there is also the fact that priests also often gathered actual practical knowledge about elements of their deity's portfolio, so that for instance priests of a fertility deity would probably have good knowledge of the seasons and etc.

Exactly, I'm not thinking in gods like Age of Mithology with mythological units and powers, I think about the inspiration that people had, an this is historical. For example, sometimes some celt warriors fought naked because they think their gods protec them, or the famous viking berserks that ignored pain. Not to mention crusaders and jihads.

• Like 1

They could make it that you have different temple,s with different worship options. And the temple,s have a aura radius with everything build in that radius get the bonuses.

So you build temple,s for food near farms and for war near barracks and so on.

and can affects to aura for the healer, healer give boost ( economic metal and farms)

Worship agriculture and relegious taxation tech or military worship to war god or death god.

Technologies like fanatism, holy war can increases some stats in the troops, this represent the faith in gods that have the troops.

Or fertility festivals, an example Baco festivals for romans and Greeks boosting time production of units ( pop production boost) in other way representing wildness of Bacchanals.

Priest can be nice have many abilities, praying, chanting, and more religious representations. Inspire troops to fighting best or females to farming quickly.

• Like 1

Hi juanjo, Welcome.

Then again the Roman already has the Sibylline books tech, which is a (bunch of ) books about prophecies...

I really think those suggestions are best put into the game (if wanted) as techs.

In the end "gods" are psychological/sociological ideas that got widely spread and so influenced people.

Since this is still the case adding specific gods will likely generate controversy about this matter so I would avoid them.

Since we dropped "exclusive or techs" (AFAIK entirely, so you can upgrade all techs, not have to decide between two, I like this very much) re-adding that by choosing a "god" would IMO also go against the path of the general game design we seam to lean towards.

I congratulate anyone seeing no problems with specific gods but I believe many would consider this blasphemy.

Edited by FeXoR

I really think those suggestions are best put into the game (if wanted) as techs.

In the end "gods" are psychological/sociological ideas that got widely spread and so influenced people.

Since this is still the case adding specific gods will likely generate controversy about this matter so I would avoid them.

Since we dropped "exclusive or techs" (AFAIK entirely, so you can upgrade all techs, not have to decide between two, I like this very much) re-adding that by choosing a "god" would IMO also go against the path of the general game design we seam to lean towards.

I congratulate anyone that sees no problems with specific gods but I believe many would consider this blasphemy.

I don't see a problem with choose an specific god. I prefer also that we can upgrade all techs, but gods are a different thing, every city had their own protective gods, for example, in Athens the main godess were Athena.