Alpha 18 Name Suggestions

Itms

Hi everyone!

As you may know, we're getting close to releasing Alpha 18, which will be a more stable release with a lot of bugfixes, tweakings and improvements.

I open this thread to collect the community's ideas about the name of the release. We are looking for names beginning with "R", with historical roots, adapted to the time frame of the game, and the more original the better!

Thanks a lot in advance for your ideas :D

I recommend Ρόδος / Ródos(Rhodes in English), where is famous for Colossus of Rhodes, one of the Seven Wonders of the World. The Siege of Rhodes (305 BC/304 BC) was one of the conflicts in Battles of the Diadochi. And Rhodes is also renowned by "hic Rhodus, hic salta", a quote from Aesop's Fables.

Edited by kanetaka
  • Like 1

Rhea (/ˈriːə/; Greek: Ῥέα, Greek pronunciation: [r̥é.a͜a]) is the Titaness daughter of the earth goddess Gaia and the sky god Uranus, in Greek mythology and sister and wife to Cronos. In early traditions, she is known as "the mother of gods" and therefore is strongly associated with Gaia and Cybele, who have similar functions. The classical Greeks saw her as the mother of the Olympian goddesses and gods, but not as an Olympian goddess in her own right. The Romans identified her with Magna Mater (their form of Cybele), and the Goddess Ops.

It is a "performance update" because team has stopped adding features.

They aren't taking design decisions, are few patches frezee and other without work.

Probably many of us are awaiting about Conversion/Capturing feature, is the next.

-------

For me the thing can make a great difference in optimization is the pathfinder ( shot /Long range)

------returning to the topic-----

there are not too much names in Greek, Roman and with other cultures are out of my knowledge.

Rhadamanthus (/ˌrædəˈmænθəs/) or Rhadamanthys (Ancient Greek: Ῥαδάμανθυς) was a wise king, the son of Zeus and Europa. Later accounts make him out to be one of the judges of the dead. His brothers were Sarpedon & Minos

-----this can be nice for Aristeia-----

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

A few ideas:

Alpha XVIII Rorarii

The rorarii, a pre-marian part of the roman army.

Alpha XVIII Rhea

A mythologic titan.

Alpha XVIII Rerum Novarum

"About the new things" it's a name of a pope's enciclic.

Alpha XVIII Rumor

Rumor means noise in latin.

Alpha XVIII Ritus

Ritus means "ritual" in latin.

Alpha XVIII Remi

Remi are a gallic people in Belgica.

Alpha XVIII Regni

Regni are a celt people in Britannia.

• Like 1

Well, there are some new features added... (Nomad mode, techology tree, start with the Seleucid artwork etc.)

These are minor feature. No big gameplay features for months (a year maybe?). Gameplay is most important. Those other things are nice though.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

These are minor feature. No big gameplay features for months (a year maybe?). Gameplay is most important. Those other things are nice though.

Well, as a good example for the current discussion (which is quite out of topic ;) ), you have fogging which was a big feature. However, I had to work on fogging performance until this very week. Including "big" features is nice, having them really working is both necessary and difficult!

Back to the topic:

I'd like to propose Rododactylos, which is the Homeric epithet associated with Eos, the Dawn, and which literally means "rosy-fingered".

I think it suits the release which is a performance update, with a more swift gameplay, so the image of the flower is fine (see also previous release, Quercus ;) ), and the dawn can be related to future new features in A19, and also to the beta that is getting closer.

Thoughts?

• Like 5

I'd like to propose Rododactylos, which is the Homeric epithet associated with Eos, the Dawn, and which literally means "rosy-fingered".

I think it suits the release which is a performance update, with a more swift gameplay, so the image of the flower is fine (see also previous release, Quercus ;) ), and the dawn can be related to future new features in A19, and also to the beta that is getting closer.

Thoughts?

I like it, fitting + certainly not the most commonly known word :)

• Like 1

Well, as a good example for the current discussion (which is quite out of topic ;) ), you have fogging which was a big feature. However, I had to work on fogging performance until this very week. Including "big" features is nice, having them really working is both necessary and difficult!

Back to the topic:

Thoughts?

haha sounds like a Dinosaurus, like the Terodactylo ( Terodon) .

I liked for me is fine.

• Like 1

Winning Rododactylos would be hard, but I suggest Alpha XVIII Rubico. The Rubicon river it's famous for the latin phrase "Alea Jacta Est", that means "the die it's cast". I think that fits cause 0 A.D have been developped long ago and there's no turning back considering the efforts and I think that a Beta it's near. Also I think that you would finish the game. :thumbsup:

Edited by av93
  • Like 6