Centurion

its definitely nicer than the last time i played the mac version. My thought process since I only play this game for like an hour every few months. so I'm not too biased, maybe you can take this into account as what the typical person goes through on playing this game.

My thought process slightly jumbled

* Start up Game

* It has a name: Empires Ascendant

* Oh look options. Do they have Isometric view like Age of Empires II? Guess not

* Multiplayer lobby? Screw Single Player, MP is where its at (nobody joins and lobby looks empty after couple minutes so i start game with bot in mp (maybe its one of those games people can jump in later?)

* The game is pretty but I can't see what Im doing or read the text (personal eye problem)

* where is the hotkey to make units. and the hotkey for my town center

* what are all the different units for, why can't the horse guy gather resources like the other guys and why do they all look the same

* OMG I CAN ZOOM I CAN SEE NOW (sortof). game looks a lot prettier!

* How do I rotate buildings? click menu, click manual

* I CAN ROTATE THE CAMERA annnnd its not that useful but mildly ok

* I have like 50 villagers and soldiers but its really hard to see visually if they're idle. but hey, shift plus idle key lets me select villagers.. and other stuff? Weird

* Why can't i put buildings outside my territory? I don't get it.

* terrutory grows by making buildings close to the edge of it. Or researching the next age (I played Age of Kings!)

* I was attacked message. didn't see where but i finally figured my scout died

* Finally see the berries. Went most of the game not realizing they were there due to poor vision and well it was my first game

* Enemy attacks again, I barely survive, make horses army, it gets killed and he attacks again. finally get bored with my first game and come here to post about it

Pros

* Music isn't bad

* Game is pretty

Possible Cons

* No Isometric View, didn't realize I could zoom till I accidentally used the mouse wheel. Not everyone has a mouse wheel

* units and buildings look similar which is ok for a first time player. try making them more distinct though.

* Wildlife (the chickens next to my tc on the acropolis map) look like specks and I legitimately have trouble noticing them because they're sp small

* Units are small and my eyes just glide over them. hm

No comments on strategy aspects of game, that comes after I figure out what I'm doing. thats my test run of Alpha 17, see what I think in a few days and post again

Edited by Centurion

* Oh look options. Do they have Isometric view like Age of Empires II? Guess not

Not in the options, but this might help you : http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15503&hl=isometric

* The game is pretty but I can't see what Im doing or read the text (personal eye problem)

Could you tell us more about your eye problem ? Because it might explain some of the other impressions you had (models that look the same, berries that are hard to spot, etc.).

* where is the hotkey to make units. and the hotkey for my town center

For the hotkeys, see http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/HotKeys or the "Learn to play" item in the main menu of the game.

* what are all the different units for, why can't the horse guy gather resources like the other guys and why do they all look the same

The citizen-horsemen can carry meat from animals, but can't perform other economic tasks.

* How do I rotate buildings? click menu, click manual

By click-and-drag or using the "[" "]" keys.

* Why can't i put buildings outside my territory? I don't get it.

That's the principle of territories, you need to expand them to build further. Build Civ Centers or Colonies outside of your current territory and they will generate a territory around them.

* I was attacked message. didn't see where but i finally figured my scout died

The minimap alerts could still be improved indeed.

* Enemy attacks again, I barely survive, make horses army, it gets killed and he attacks again. finally get bored with my first game and come here to post about it

The AI is very strong. You can choose a level of difficulty for the AI in Single Player mode to make it easier to beat.

* No Isometric View, didn't realize I could zoom till I accidentally used the mouse wheel. Not everyone has a mouse wheel

Have you tried "+/-" ?

* Wildlife (the chickens next to my tc on the acropolis map) look like specks and I legitimately have trouble noticing them because they're sp small

If you move your mouse over the map after selecting a citizen, the cursor changes shape so you can easily notic the elements the units can interact with. But I agree the chickens could have a more noticeable design. There's a plan to change some units' models in future versions, I don't know if chickens are concerned by this.

No comments on strategy aspects of game, that comes after I figure out what I'm doing. thats my test run of Alpha 17, see what I think in a few days and post again

Note that Alpha 18 should be released soon (in a few weeks probably), you might be interested in testing this one.
  • Like 2

• 7 years later...