[Scenario] A Silent Day In Gaul

niektb

sorry i dont know what the SVN version is? i can see the mod in the mod selection. and i can find the map but it gets error when i try to start

Then you don't have it, and then you will get those errors, as niektb said in the post above. You can however get it, and since you are on Windows it's really not that much more difficult than installing a normal version of the game. Please see: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/TortoiseSVN_Guide for how to get it, but in short, download the TortoiseSVN application, "checkout" the 0 A.D. SVN (that is basically downloading the development version). I'm not 100% sure, but I think the game should look for mods in e.g. C:\Users\JohnDoe\Documents\My Games\0ad\mods otherwise just put it in the mods folder inside the 0 A.D. SVN folder. To run this copy of 0 A.D. just double click the pyrogenesis.exe inside the binaries/system folder in your SVN folder (or you can create a shortcut and put on e.g. the desktop or taskbar or start menu).

• 2 weeks later...

Niek, I remember reading that you asked if ever someone beat the map in Easy. I did. :) Although I was hoping for a little more fight - since the periodic barbarian attacks made me think of a barbarian horde, I gathered quite a lot of units, only to well, feel underwhelmed with the opposition of the barbarian camp. :smoke:

I've tested your scenario today and liked it a lot. Here's some feedback regarding the gameplay.

• I've played in the intermediate difficulty. First, I scouted the barbarian camp and thought it's quite small. I killed most of the soldiers there and then went back to build up the base. It took some time to realize that the waves of attackers are getting bigger and bigger and at some point I lost after killing around 200 enemies. In the second game (also intermediate difficulty) I killed all soldiers in the barbarian camp and destroyed it just with my initial group of 5 longswordsmen. I think it's not optimal that it's so easy to win when rushing early and so hard when trying to build up the base. My suggestion is that you reduce the number and/or frequency of units spawning and increase the camp size and the number of soldiers there. Maybe you could also spawn some reinforcements if you destroy certain buildings in the camp. Also it would be nice to make it more clear what you have to prepare for (increasing numbers of enemies spawning regularly).
  • I didn't quite understand what purpose the question of the elder has (seeking to increase combat skills or wisdom). I could figure out by playing again or looking in the scripts but wouldn't it be better if the player knew what impact the decision has?

I've tested your scenario today and liked it a lot. Here's some feedback regarding the gameplay.

[...]

• I didn't quite understand what purpose the question of the elder has (seeking to increase combat skills or wisdom). I could figure out by playing again or looking in the scripts but wouldn't it be better if the player knew what impact the decision has?
Thank you! :D

The question has no purpose (other than showcasing dialogs) in the end since the druid gets killed after performing the preliminary quest.

Edited by niektb

I did a quick review, but I'm not yet confident enough to commit it today. Not because of issues, but because I didn't have enough time to check everything carefully and it would be rushed a bit. That's a bit too close to feature freeze for me, but maybe someone else has time.

• The Void bot should be set to hidden in data.json to hide it from the selection for other maps. Check tutorial AI.
  • Some functions could be moved to TriggerHelper.js when it's not a mod anymore.
  • I'm not sure if the flag template is right in "structures". There seem to be only civ specific structures. "Other" seems to be better.
  • As others said, we also need a way to handle scenarios that require a special match setup (players, AIs etc.). Anyway, this can be done later because it's a general problem and doesn't affect the other maps.