[Scenario] A Silent Day In Gaul

niektb

You probably already had seen me releasing this map in the Athens Triumphant a couple of weeks ago. It turned out to be the ultimate trigger sandbox for me so I continued its development and today it is finished! I hereby proudly present the first ever(!) storyline-driven scenario for 0 A.D.:

A Silent Day In Gaul

x8jyTOi.jpg

OhbootB.jpg
I don't want to spoil all the fun by giving a full overview of the map so I'll stick to sightseeing some of the nature that you can see in this map. :)

Read this if you're having trouble with the scenario. SPOILER ALERT!!!

- Make sure you quickly start building your CC as soon as you get they chance. The Bandits won't wait till you have finished it!
- You can defeat the first wave easily using your Champion Infantry.
- Scout the map between the first and the second wave. You might find things that could become useful.

Compatible with Alpha 18? Yes, it is! Just download the appropriate version. :)

Changelog:

v1.6:

- Strengthen the bandit camp to prevent (too) early rushes.

- Adapt to A18 balance changes.

- Add some additional information for the player.

- fix crash on SVN. (separate version for A18)

v1.5:

- implement Shieldwolf's suggestion about the more challenging endgame

- update the visibility flag to svn's latest changes

v1.4:
- Remove a debug warning

v1.3:
- decreased the difficulty further by shortening the waiting time and giving additional resources

v1.2:
- Decreased the difficulty (I found it pretty hard even on easy difficulty)
- Added details to the road
- Repainted the river
- Added support for repeating objectives

v1.1:
- Added player names
- Fixed a warning

v1.0:
- Initial release

map_A_Silent_Day_In_Gaulv1.6 - Alpha 18.zip

map_A_Silent_Day_In_Gaulv1.6.zip

Edited by niektb
  • Like 4

Map is looking really good and fun. Here is some notes of minor issues while playing, already discussed with niektb on IRC (which already fixed a couple other suggestions, thanks :)):

• fixed in 1.2: the current objective text should always be shown to avoid missing or forgetting it (IIRC the tutorial map does this);
  • eventually there should be a visible sign for objective place (for example the trigger actor available in atlas on the terrain, as well as something on the minimap) that disappear when reached;
  • ticket #3007: when defeated my unit starts attaching the farmstead, maybe it should be neutral (as explained by niektb this is currently not possible since Gaia has no diplomacy);
  • fixed in 1.2: Player 2,3,4 should be changed and have a proper name.

Nice work :).

• Like 2

Lion, I wouldn't have any problems with this map landing in the official game, but I'm pretty sure that it needs to be fully finished first.

Stan, I must say that it looked simply epic on my 1080p IPS screen but now that I look at it from my notebook I must indeed say that it doesn't look very cool. It looks fine in-game though.

• Like 1

Lion, I wouldn't have any problems with this map landing in the official game, but I'm pretty sure that it needs to be fully finished first.

Stan, I must say that it looked simply epic on my 1080p IPS screen but now that I look at it from my notebook I must indeed say that it doesn't look very cool. It looks fine in-game though.

That's weird. I was thinking I could do some plants, maybe Enrique would accept to get in the game. Do you have anything you'd need ? (I don't know reed, corn etc.)

Ultimately we should have an objective screen for that but I could look into repeating objectives as a workaround.

Depends a bit on what you already did. The farmer is just a 'hidden' world object that doesn't participate in the storyline itself.

This is where the villagers are already killed, and I "fled" to the west, thereby meeting the farmer. After that, I don't know what to do.

v1.2 is out!

Changelog:

- Decreased the difficulty (I found it pretty hard even on easy difficulty)

- Added details to the road

- Repainted the river

- Added support for repeating objectives

See the topicstart for a download link. (http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19552&p=302462)

Edited by niektb
  • Like 1