Racism

Peregriino

I sending this image. This happen today, the players fastandfurious was verbally attacking anyone in lobby and in the room. In this image has racist offenses.

He's brazilian like me and he told me in portuguese that have others accounts and have the same behavior.

I hope something will be done.

Edited by Itms
Removed the image now that these guys have been taken care of

I don't think banning them sends the right message, how about a tweak that lets a moderator cripple their resource gathering rates, unit building times, armor and attack? I think being thoroughly trounced over and over for a while for no obvious, discernible reason might fix the attitude a bit. At the least they'll have to play harder or give up and leave on their own. Mind you, if they're not actually playing the game, then ban away.

Edited by chaosislife13

I'm not sure it's ok to display these discussions publicly on our forums. I'm even reluctant to use the terms "strong language" when I read this.

Moderators need to be notified for sure, but we should think of a system that could directly point them to the logs instead of having to take a screen and associate what was said with 0 A.D....

EDIT: On second thought, I actually removed the image from the post

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's ok to display these discussions publicly on our forums. I'm even reluctant to use the terms "strong language" when I read this.

Moderators need to be notified for sure, but we should think of a system that could directly point them to the logs instead of having to take a screen and associate what was said with 0 A.D....

EDIT: On second thought, I actually removed the image from the post

Good call.

I'd say the best long term solution would be to include some kind of Report function in the lobby itself. (Say, you right-click on a username and click Report and get a dialog where you can optionally enter a few words of explanation. Then the information is sent to the moderators who can deal with it.) Maybe also a "Block" function that allows a player to block seeing another player entirely (whether in chat or see their games in the list), just to avoid people having to see this kind of abuse if no moderator has time to deal with it right away. That's probably something that needs to be properly considered though as I guess it can be misused.

For now maybe encourage people to report any offences either in #0ad-dev, or here in the forums. Mentioning the offending player's username (and possibly the time in UTC? Though I guess that's not as necessary, just would make searching through the logs a bit easier I would assume.), but we should also be clear that there is no need for people to copy what they said as there are logs (maybe just mentioning logs will make some people calm down a bit, one can always hope at least).

• Like 1

Block would do wonders, especially if you have a default block list so new folks don't have to wade thru a bunch of howler monkeys before they learn how to even use the block function. Unfortunately, just because we have a block function doesn't mean folks will use it, used to deal with ppl being all "ban that guy", "boot him!" and haing to reply over and over that we had a darn block function and if ppl are too lazy to use it I might just boot them instead.

I think that a Mute function would be better than a block function (since blocking other people is a right that is often misused by people)

What's the difference? :unsure:

Block would do wonders, especially if you have a default block list so new folks don't have to wade thru a bunch of howler monkeys before they learn how to even use the block function. Unfortunately, just because we have a block function doesn't mean folks will use it, used to deal with ppl being all "ban that guy", "boot him!" and haing to reply over and over that we had a damn block function and if ppl are too lazy to use it I might just boot them instead.

Well, if someone does things often enough to warrant being on a default block list, I'd say they should be banned rather than blocked.

• Like 1

With blocking I actually meant a sort of voting system that kicks/does something with a player that affects the whole server.

But muting is done by one player (say Itms annoys (rare case) me so I silent him. Other people still see his text messages but I don't since I muted him)

Ah, I don't really see any reason to give people that kind of power. Reporting should be enough. I meant the same when I said block as you mean when you say mute :)

IMO it's not up to a game to change society and we should focus on a sane system do determine the players gameplay capabilities rather than his social skills.

To get rid of occurrences where PPL feel insulted by others a mute function (don't show a specific players messages including map pings) should be enough (this could be per game or permanently) but should not include any change of which games are shown (in the end it's a disadvantage for the player that feels insulted because he has less games to choose from while it should be a disadvantage for the insulting player).

Additionally what happens if an unwanted player enters the game the insulted person is in?

(The insulted person could be kicked but that's a disadvantage to the wrong person again.

or the unwanted person could not see any game a person is in that used the function but this can/will be "misused" so that's even worse.)

Insulting, however, should IMO not have any impact on the gameplay.

Voting systems don't work since PPL playing one style tend to blame PPL playing another style independent of the play styles efficiency (similar for talking style).

I'm not sure if banning is the way to go though for now (with sane moderators) it seams like a valid solution though this will get time consuming the more PPL play this game (and likely the sanity of moderators will vanish with more moderators required to handle this).

What PPL like or don't like is in general not objective so we should not focus to much on this IMO.

PPL should learn to get along with other PPL and just masking them will not get the PPL together but divide them further IMO.

(And if a AIs start taunting I'd like to have the mute function also work for AIs!)

Edited by FeXoR

It may not be our function to change social skills but civilized behaviour should be rewarded and it's opposite discouraged in all social occasions and venues. It's the small things that grate on the nerves and increase social tensions verbal/text snipping is one of those thing sand in the gears.

Enjoy the Choice :)

• Like 1

Sorry, but racism is racism and and must be fought as such.

I Agree in preserve the identity of player until the case will be judge. I agree to with the system for report, it's better and fast. But mute chat isn't a option because of the reasons cited for FeXoR.

And yes, we need block for some periods, the players need respect others players and if no, they need to be punished.

Edited by Peregriino

That is just being mean spirited choasislife and encourages retaliatory behaviour even if we are a war gaming community :doh:

Enjoy the Choice :)

That's why i said nothing obvious, nothing that would show on the screen typically, they'd just think everyone else was badass. Or cheating I suppose, but those sorts of people already scream cheater whenever someone gets the drop on them. Honestly, aside from packet editing stuff I don't believe in the existence of cheating as a concept, if it's possible to do something, and you do it, it's not cheating, it's a feature.

Should implement a half-way feature called a "shadow ban." The offender can still play and even "send" chat, but his chats are actually muted to all players, in the game and in the lobby. Length of shadow ban can be determined by moderator or by a set of rules determined by the wfg team. In fact, I encourage the team to come up with a set of rules and guidelines for the various forms of punishments usable by the moids. Racism 1st offense, 2nd offense, last offense, etc.

• Like 2