Suggestions for the Gauls

This is similar to my Gaulish buildings topic, but this is more detailed.

Hi, so once again I come with suggestions for the Gauls, as I still feel they are one of the less detailed civs.

Units

Currently, they have the cavalry skirmisher, spearman, slinger, foot skirmisher, cavalry swordsman, elite longswordsman and cavalry elite spearman. I was wondering if perhaps one more unit (although this may affect the balance negatively) could be added, swordsman (I think it was Bataroas in EB). Basically, he'd be the same as the spearman, but has a short Gallic sword (this may be unnecessary as there is already a cavalry swordsman).

Another thing is for the spearman and cavalry swordsman. When leveling up, they go from clothing, colourful clothes, chainmail. The Gauls actually had a type of Linothorax and they had leather armour, which could both be used for stage 2.

AQVoFx.jpg

Gallic Linothorax.

http://leuki.pagesperso-orange.fr/vaevictis.html These re-enactors use both Gallic linothorax and Leather armour.

xluK9Y.jpg

4 types of Gallic Leather Cuirasses, this image is from the research from Total War Rome 2.

Buildings

In the other topic http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19377 Gaulish Buildings, I already posted pictures on the types of buildings, but with less detail.

Most of the following images are from animated reconstructions of the Celtic village near Bundenbach and animated reconstructions of the Hallstatt town Heuneburg. These are from more eastern Gaul, and a different era, but still Gaul nonetheless. Their buildings wouldn't become less advanced.

tq1T00.png

An animated picture of Heuneburg, notice how most of the house have a similar pattern; long, single story but with a sharp, tall roof varying between wood shingles/thatch.

YbPCWJ.jpg

Another animation of Heuneburg (this time a different animator) but still similar, the houses also follow that pattern I spoke about.

The walls were exclusive to this area, they were made of mud bricks. So adding this type of wall wouldn't be that accurate.

SyFkOj.jpg

House and storehouse respectively in the village reconstruction near Bundenbach.

YzxypI.jpg

Drawing of what Bibracte might've looked like.

Besides that, currently the walls are fine (they look like the Kelheim type gallic wall) but it's a bit annoying that the fences on top look so crude, Celts were great carpenters and there's no reason they wouldn't be able to make a nice fence.

The Civic center currently looks smaller than that of most of the other civs. The Barracks and blacksmith are fine.

That's all I can think of now, I may add more.

• Like 2

I don't think that the current gaul buildings are too far different than what you have posted. Also remember that the artists like to make their mark with stylistic choices that are probably not always accurate 100%. I think it would help them if you maybe did a presentation of each gaul building in the game and show what you would change about each one to make it better.

For the lether armor, that looks great. Good idea. Nice reference. (y)

• Like 2

I don't think that the current gaul buildings are too far different than what you have posted. Also remember that the artists like to make their mark with stylistic choices that are probably not always accurate 100%. I think it would help them if you maybe did a presentation of each gaul building in the game and show what you would change about each one to make it better.

Its true we can't make 100% accurate because the RTs games dot work with real scale, needs consistent texture in order to have art style coherence ( make each set of buildings part of an visual unity). May be improve the textures is the best that Devs can do,.

Agreed.

Its true we can't make 100% accurate because the RTs games dot work with real scale, needs consistent texture in order to have art style coherence ( make each set of buildings part of an visual unity). May be improve the textures is the best that Devs can do,.

What do you mean by improve the texture ?

I think the real problem that I have is that the buildings are too short and none of them have plank roofs. I'll try and do the presentation.

What do you mean by short ? Height ? Length ? Width ? Also Using wood roofs could be possible, see the gaul farmstead I made. (It's in the game).

• Like 1

Agreed.

What do you mean by improve the texture ?

What do you mean by short ? Height ? Length ? Width ? Also Using wood roofs could be possible, see the gaul farmstead I made. (It's in the game).

I believe it's the Gothic architecture type that's similar. I mean the roofs should be more vertical. Hard to explain, but they should look more sharp. Firstly, your new farmstead looks great, well done, but I meant a plank shingle roof (like the ones commonly used in the Dark ages).

ZWlxCW.jpg

This house is a Gaulish city longhouse. I believe this is a perfect representation of what one of the varying houses (by varying house, I mean how there are different types of house that will randomly be selected when placing a house) in the city stage.

In the original post, you will see that all the houses are similar in architecture (some being ''double story'' as in being tall enough for it to possess an attic) but they vary from thatch to wooden shingle. If it were made that those types of houses were used in the city phase and the current ones used in the town phase, that'd be perfect. What I've noticed is I struggle to build a village-like village with the romans due to their massive civic centre and houses, and I struggle to make an urban looking city with the Gauls, simply because every building has a thatch roof. If the the thatch in the city phase were made to look darker (like older thatch) then I imagine it'd look more urban.

Edit: The image I posted of Bibracte is a perfect example of what the Gallic city should look like; more longhouses, some houses with shingle roofs etc.

Edited by Germanic_celt79
  • Like 1

Ah alright. Back to the topic, what is going to happen with this idea? I understand that if this is going to be used (new armour for level 2 units, new Gallic houses) it's unlikely that it'll be in Alpha 18.

Dev from Milenium here too.

To answer the question I could make it However I haven't seen Enrique in a while and therefore don't know anyone who could commit it. For the roofy thing It is really not likely that a complete overall of the civ will be made. Some buildings may need a visual upgrade (I'm thinking of the corral) But I don't think much will change unless someone comes with a wonderful building for each of them.

I'd suggest you take screen of each of the buildings use a software like paint, and propose changes, and in case they get accepted well I or someone in the team provided they are active could choose to model it.

To sum it up, Armor is likely buildings, nah not much.

• Like 1

hehe any excuse to mess with old buildings is good enough for me, but you're right. It probably wont make next alpha.

Easiest way to find structure files by downloading the SVN, the art repo in there is pretty well organized, so you should be able to find what you're looking for. It also serves as a good modding platform should you choose to change things yourself

• Like 1

hehe any excuse to mess with old buildings is good enough for me, but you're right. It probably wont make next alpha.

Easiest way to find structure files by downloading the SVN, the art repo in there is pretty well organized, so you should be able to find what you're looking for. It also serves as a good modding platform should you choose to change things yourself

I was hoping you would see that thread =P

Some file types are in cached format and therefore not usable/editable (like XML-templates)

It could be that this isn't the case with 3D-models.

AFAIK they are in PMD format in public.zip therefore not really editable. =)

Edited by stanislas69

Thanks for those links. I'm still a noob to this sort of thing so it'll take some time, but the first likely embarrassing question is: What's the SVN?

The short version: the development version of the game.

For the more in-depth: see the first link Lion posted for how to access it. As for what it is in more detail: a way to access the development version of the game. Not only are some things easier to access (many image files are in PNG rather than DDS, the data for the game is directly accessible rather than in a ZIP file etc), but perhaps the most important things: it's an easy way to always have the latest new things added (and only have to download the things which have been changed) as well as be able to access old versions of existing files and old files.

• Like 1