Alpha 18 Balancing Branch

scythetwirler

Changes made:

• Differentiation of skirmishers and archers
  • Civ-specific unit\buildings perks and bonuses
  • Formation Enabling/Disabling Toggle (see ticket #2936)
  • Stronger champions and heroes
  • Nerfing of Persian Cavalry (so that they are consistent with those of other civs). This may turn out differently during civ differentiation stage, as Persians were noted for their strong cavalry.
  • Disabling of cavalry "auto-micro"
  • Making siege weapons considerably more effective than foot/cavalry soldiers against structures.
  • Decreasing accuracy of bolt shooters.
The current stage of balancing is Release Testing. This branch has been merged into SVN. XP and ranking up are currently disabled until relative templates are committed for ease of balancing.

The repository is located at https://github.com/scythetwirler/0ad/ (branch 'balance'). You can see the changes at the bottom of that page (though I may forget to update that with changes).

The branch will set you up to join a separate lobby for this branch.

Installing the branch:

Windows

Download GitHub for Windows and open the application Git Shell. From that window, type in the following commands:

mkdir 0ad-balancecd 0ad-balancegit clone https://github.com/scythetwirler/0ad.git

The last command will take a while to execute, as it will download an approximately 4-6 GB repository.

When the git clone has finished, you can run the game using pyrogenesis.exe (most likely in your Documents/GitHub/0ad-balance/0ad/binaries/system/ folder).

Linux

Install git on your distribution of Linux and create a folder in which you want to download the repository. Run the following command to start the download:

git clone https://github.com/scythetwirler/0ad.git

The last command will take a while to execute, as it will download an approximately 4-6 GB repository.

When the git clone has finished, you will need to compile the game. See BuildInstructions for compiling instructions (SKIP the "Getting the code" section). After compiling, you should be able to run the game using pyrogenesis (in your 0ad/binaries/system/ directory).

Branches:

master - Copy of the 0ad git repository.

experimental - cutting edge changes that have not been thoroughly tested (both technical and balance). Please use this version to test unless it does not function due to recent changes in code.

stable - technical stable version Fallback if the experimental branch does not function due to recent changes in code.

To switch between branches, simply open git shell and type

cd 0ad-balance/0adgit checkout branch_name

Keeping up to date:

I will make frequent adjustments to balance.

Windows:

Open git shell and type in

cd 0ad-balance\0ad\git pull

Linux:

cd inside your 0ad/ folder and run

git pull

If there are source changes (usually if there's a merge commit), then you will have to recompile (BuildInstructions).

• Like 4

Something should be done with the rams. They have a tank armor against pierce units, a fact that it's okay with ranged, but they are OP against spearman infantry and cavalry.

Why should pierce dealing melee units do damage to a ram?

You need hack dealing units. Guess the problem with op rams will solve itself when champions get buffed, so you can use hack_dealing_champions vs rams.

• Like 2

Why should melee units deal pierce damage, which is an analogue to projectiles like arrows?

300px-Fra_Angelico_027.jpg

.....showing the lance piercing the side of Jesus on the cross. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Lance

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cuz a spear is a melee weapon which causes pierce damage?

Edited by zzippy

I understand the logic of spearman dealing pierce damage, but imho rams shouldn't be able to kill 1 single unit, cause rams could be used like tanks. I repeat that if somebody can help to test it cause right now I haven't 0 a.d installed, that would help. This is my argument, so I think that I can't add more about it. Maybe it's a matter of opinions. There are more features to balance, so carry on. But please be polite, I want to discuss, not to fight.

Edited by av93
  • Like 1

Thinking of rams: every melee unit should deal great damage to a ram, maybe not 1 can kill a ram, but 2 or 3 melee units of any type (cav, spear, sword). Ranged units should have a hard time against rams, they will do very little damage to a ram and can easily be killed by a ram if you don't run away.

• Like 1

Rams are intended for sieging structures; using them to target infantry is not efficient. That being said, infantry can surround a ram and effectively halt its progress.

Also, a siege weapon should be considered a top priority target when it is sighted. It's quite possible to concentrate a regiment of infantry on the siege weapon and take it out quickly.