Formations always face the same direction.

bbmagill

This has been happening for as long as I have played. Whenever I try to get any group of units into any formation, it always faces the same way (usually in a bad direction), and I can't figure out how to change this. This happens on all maps, on both single player and multiplayer, and with all factions.

They aren't functional though. At least not really.

Edit: Skirmish also sort of works, it makes your units spread out on first click, but if you click again they will all head for the exact same point and sort of.. circle jerk, as they do. Poor things, all want to sit on that rock.

Edited by auron2401

There's indeed a hard-coded angle when formations are created.

Formations were supposed to be created when you issue a command, it automatically creates a formation, and then the direction is known.

But since that's disabled, it takes the hard-coded angle as the only option. I don't know how the software can know what angle to prefer otherwise.

• Like 1

This page: http://silverhorde.viahistoria.com/research/tactics.html has a nice summary of the subject. You can find plenty more just by googling "mongol tactics".

I first learned about this by reading this book - "Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genghis_Khan_and_the_Making_of_the_Modern_World. I highly recommend that for an alternative view of the Mongol Empire - though some have accused it of glossing over some of their more unsavory practices (Yes, they took slaves, who didn't in those days?).

Edited by greenknight32