Gaulish Buildings

Germanic_celt79

Hi, as much as I love this game, the buildings of the gauls still don't seem like the buildings you'd find in their oppida. In other words, I have images of Gaulish buildings, wall types etc. So I'll post them here, obviously I understand building changes aren't easy to do. I saw on another thread someone suggested that as you age up (village phase, town phase etc.) your houses and buildings change. If that were to happen then here are images of Gaulish city buildings.

post-16880-0-30142500-1416903431_thumb.j A typical Gaulish city centre at the bottom, some other buildings (e.g market) at the top.

post-16880-0-15876800-1416903480_thumb.j The front view of an oppidum. The Murus Gallicus wall is easily visible along with longhouse with wooden roofs.

post-16880-0-33369400-1416903548_thumb.j An individual Gaulish city longhouse.

post-16880-0-51117800-1416903593_thumb.j A farm with some houses.

For the German speaking http://www.geo.de/GEO/info/newsletter/abo/die-kelten-auf-den-spuren-eines-raetselhaften-volkes-67307.html It also has some images of their buildings.

Edited by Germanic_celt79

Hey Germanic-Celt (if that is a mix of your heritage, are you from the Low Countries?)

The Murus Gallicus is included in the editor. It was Gaul's original wall, but was replaced by the current one (something I regret as well ;) )

Edit: (IIRC) it was replaced because it has the following disadvantage: the wall has is facing towards one side only (the other side being an unprotected mud slope). All other faction's walls have two equal sides, meaning: it doesn't matter how you build the wall, both back and front are equal.

• Like 4

The link you provided is awesome! However, I don't think the current models are historically inaccurate. Yes, the game models don't match the Manching finds, but they are based off other excavated sites throughout western Europe. I feel like if the game's Gallic faction were broken down into subgroups, it would be cool if they used the Manching building renditions for a Belgae faction!

One thing I think an argument could be made over is the severed heads on 0ad's tavern model. Caesar definitely implied that the Gauls were psychotic barbarians but we have to remember anything we learn from him about Gaul may be over exaggerated. Modern historians and archaeologists have questioned the reliability of Roman and Greek sources about their neighbors and conclude these civilizations weren't barbaric.

Hey Germanic-Celt (if that is a mix of your heritage, are you from the Low Countries?)

The Murus Gallicus is included in the editor. It was Gaul's original wall, but was replaced by the current one (something I regret as well ;) )

Aye, it is a heritage mix. I saw the Murus Gallicus in the editor and it looks good, but I think it needed improving in the sense of adding wall turrets and places for people to stand on walls. The colour also looked a bit reddish.

The link you provided is awesome! However, I don't think the current models are historically inaccurate. Yes, the game models don't match the Manching finds, but they are based off other excavated sites throughout western Europe. I feel like if the game's Gallic faction were broken down into subgroups, it would be cool if they used the Manching building renditions for a Belgae faction!

One thing I think an argument could be made over is the severed heads on 0ad's tavern model. Caesar definitely implied that the Gauls were psychotic barbarians but we have to remember anything we learn from him about Gaul may be over exaggerated. Modern historians and archaeologists have questioned the reliability of Roman and Greek sources about their neighbors and conclude these civilizations weren't barbaric.

Thanks. I don't disagree, the current models do seem historically accurate, they just look more like village buildings. The Civic Centre, as far as I know, doesn't look very accurate in terms of a city or oppidum centre (see the image I posted originally). A Belgae faction would be very cool though! Their unit names would be like a germanic and celtic mix. I agree, the heads shouldn't be there, as said before, the Gauls were people and people wouldn't be too pleased by rotting severed heads (not sure how well Cedar oil preserves them). Nice emphasis on the word civilisation, lots of people still think of them as a nomadic barbarian race. Despite archaeology disproving this.

It might be interesting to give the Gaul's two walls. Something to discuss. The Murus Gallicus has a distinct advantage over other walls: because of the structure (wooden beams, filled with rubble), it was nearly invulnerable to siege (crush) weapons.

About a Belgae Celtic offspin, at the moment not very likely as we already have Gauls and Britons in the game and Seleucids to finish. But, it wouldn't be too hard and effort for a small dedicated group of modders (as you could use many textures, buildings, etc from the other two Celtic factions).

You forget the meaning of barbarian

It means "Not greek". or "Doesn't speak greek".

So those civilisations were most certainly barbaric. :)

Maybe the gaul tribes with greek contact (the ones who lived in provence in particular, forget their names)

Weren't "Barbarians", but i think my point is made. lol.

Edited by auron2401

Germanic_celt79: These pics are great. I can't wait to go into the editor and use them as reference for making my own oppidum. And yes, it would be nice to have some more urban structures represented in the game.

Auron: I definitely did not forget the definition of barbarian that you are signifying, I was merely using the word for what is has come to mean. But it's interesting, and to add to its etymology, I heard the ancient Greeks called their neighbors "barbarians" to signify the way these foreigners sounded to them when speaking their language... aka: bar bar bar... lol

Germanic_celt79: These pics are great. I can't wait to go into the editor and use them as reference for making my own oppidum. And yes, it would be nice to have some more urban structures represented in the game.

Auron: I definitely did not forget the definition of barbarian that you are signifying, I was merely using the word for what is has come to mean. But it's interesting, and to add to its etymology, I heard the ancient Greeks called their neighbors "barbarians" to signify the way these foreigners sounded to them when speaking their language... aka: bar bar bar... lol

Nice, send me some pictures later on if you want to.

It is strange, when people hear that the Greeks called Gauls ''barbarians'' (barbaroi I think?) they often think it means uncivilised savages when it actually means non-greek.

You forget the meaning of barbarian

It means "Not greek". or "Doesn't speak greek".

So those civilisations were most certainly barbaric. :)

Maybe the gaul tribes with greek contact (the ones who lived in provence in particular, forget their names)

Weren't "Barbarians", but i think my point is made. lol.

Greek word "barbaros" mean person who speaks saying "bar bar bar", in other words, person who speaks a not understandable language. At the first, romans are barbarian to the greeks too.

• 11 months later...

Germanic_Celt79,

I tried to contact you but I obviously can`t yet (being a new community member):

Have you got a version of the file "The front view of an oppidum. The Murus Gallicus wall is easily visible along with longhouse with wooden roofs" in higher resolution than the one posted?

Edited by Salvador79

Hi stanislas,

thanks for the quick reply!

I`m trying to patch together a Christmas present for my wife.

She loves the fact that we`re living in a place that must have been an impressive Celtic settlement once (Tarodunum), and I´d like to have a t-shirt printed for her (since nobody knows how Tarodunum looked like, archeological evidence is limited to the still-visible wall, there are no sensible reconstructions, paintings, sketches etc. of it, so I decided to make something up that is in all likelihood historically inaccurate, but might still look nice).

The image I named is (artistically) a good fit because the angle fits, i.e. it´s easily compatible with mountains in the background.

I´ve already photoshopped the image with a background of our mountains, and duochromed that, so that the seams, colour differences and the virtual nature of one of the two images don`t show. (It actually looks nice.)

But the resolution is too low for printing a t-shirt. The problem lies with the painted image, the photo is available in better quality.

I´d need something that`s at least 150 dpi, 300 would be even better.

Thanks a lot for any help...

Edited by Salvador79

stanislas,

I downloaded the game just now, but I haven`t figured out how to get to the images I´m looking for and how to save them in a way that enables me to open them in a photo editing software...

btw, the game looks very nice, but unfortunately I haven`t played games really (I know I shouldn`t be here... )

• 3 weeks later...

hello stanislas,

I downloaded the game and tried to find my way through it (one problem is that my graphic card seems to be too crappy for it), but I can`t work out where I can access images in a way that I could extract them and work on them with my editing software.

Is there a place where I can download the image files separately?

Oh then we misunderstood sorry bout that. Every 3D building comes under the form of Dae file that you can open in blender.

My idea was that you would open the map editor make a scene with gaul buildings send an image of it. I would then place the buildings in the same order in a 3D program and render a 4K image for you to use :)

• Like 1

@Salvador79,

Have you got a version of the file "The front view of an oppidum. The Murus Gallicus wall is easily visible along with longhouse with wooden roofs" in higher resolution than the one posted?

Google image search doesn't find anything in higher resolution than 585 × 329 (the same as originally posted by Germanic_celt79). The image seems to be originating from this page: Im Banne des Donnersbergs and it's attributed there as "Foto: Roland Seidel/Landesarchäologie Speyer". You can try to contact this person/organisation and ask whether they have/can render a more hi-res version. This may give you exactly what you want or may give no results at all.

What Stan proposes is an alternative solution, it surely won't look exactly the same as the orignal render, but you have a lot of flexibility in this case: you can render in any resolution you want, you can use any models, adjust their positions, camera angle etc.

In this case you need to:

1. open Atlas (scenario editor), either via the "Map Editor" shortcut or from in-game menu (Tools & Options -> Scenario Editor)

2. either use the default empty map (should be more suitable if you want Stan to reproduce the same scene in Blender later) or load an existing one (might be better if you want to make the final image in Atlas).

3. place some objects:

post-9635-0-71016800-1448440932_thumb.pn

(see Atlas Manual for instructions)

4. either make the final screenshot yourself (via Menu -> Misc hacks -> Screenshot/Big screenshot) or share preview (screenshot)/map itself with Stan.

• Like 1

I have made a screenshot (although it really doesn`t look as cool as that picture I tried to imitate, not because of the symbols of this game, I think those are pretty, but because the angle is not quite right (too much from above) and because I´ve been unable to create some sort of terrain (I wanted fields around, and a slope in front, but I haven`t been able to do that...

How can I attach it to a post or send it to you, stanislas? (Again, sorry for being such an incompetent klutz...)

Thanks a thousand times for all your patience, advice and helpfulness!

Hi,

thanks once again!!!

I still haven`t managed to create some background (any grass is fine), and by changing the angle of the camera, I´ve created a lot of black space, but here goes the screenshot...

To create a more circular wall, I suppose I would have had to use smaller wall pieces and rotate them bit by bit a little more? But that`s not exactly round, is it?

(That´s not so important, just a side-question...)

Oh no, "The server returned an error during upload"... I´ll try later.

Hi,

thanks once again!!!

I still haven`t managed to create some background (any grass is fine), and by changing the angle of the camera, I´ve created a lot of black space, but here goes the screenshot...

To create a more circular wall, I suppose I would have had to use smaller wall pieces and rotate them bit by bit a little more? But that`s not exactly round, is it?

(That´s not so important, just a side-question...)

Oh no, "The server returned an error during upload"... I´ll try later.

The server was down for a while, so I'd say retry now :)