Indiegogo

oka

Have wildfire games taught about doing another indiegogo? I think the main way 0 A.D can make money is to have a marketplace where all mods code must be under an open source license and the most restrictive license allowed for the mods and their assets is CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

Allowed licenses for mods and their assets.

CC0

CC-BY 4.0

CC-BY-SA 4.0

CC-BY-NC 4.0

CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

Source Code must be under an open source license

Edited by oka
  • Like 1

That didn't stop mighty 9 from asking for more money http://www.mightyno9.com/

What I am talking about is a marketplace where users can sell their mods.Mods code must be under an open source license and the most restrictive license mods and their assets can be licensed under is CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0.Also why hasn't wildfire games upgraded to CC-BY-SA 4.0

Edited by oka

[...] sell their mods.Mods code must be under an open source license and the most restrictive license [...] is CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0.

So how does selling stuff released under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike work exactly?

Also why hasn't wildfire games upgraded to CC-BY-SA 4.0

Any specific reasons why we should? This would also require us to ask contributors if they would agree to relicense their works (else we'd relicense stuff just for the sake of it while any adaptions can use a later version of the license ( 4.b ))

EDIT: I removed your duplicated post.

A person normally sells his works under copyright so why can't he sell them under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike as long he has the rights to the work he can sell them under any license he chooses.

The reason we should switch to 4.0 is because its a worldwide license no more CC-BY-USA etc

Another Indiegogo could work (having money and not spending it is not a big issue), but my problem actually lies on contributors not receiving the perks. It has been a year now, and I haven't received my perk. It would be hard having another go if the last one's promises have not been fulfilled.

I believe doing another fundraiser might not really work if it cannot be shown that previous funds have been put to good use. So far, very little has been spent towards the development of 0 A.D., and it does not logically follow that more money will be effective. I expect people to be skeptic, especially as communication around and wrap-up of the previous campaign was less than ideal. I understand that the funds gained last year were not sufficient to have a developer (or two) work on the game for a serious amount of time (if I recall correctly the aim was $160K, something to the tune of $33K was donated), although that was the proposed plan. The two people most visible in the fundraiser have since left without much clarity around their departure, at least not via the channels available to those who donated (I wouldn't count the forums in general and IRC logs among that).

I personally viewed my contribution as a donation, so I'm not too fuzzed about perks (not even sure if I opted for anything). While I'm convinced the team has and will handle the funds with care, a clearer picture of how the team intends to use the funds for development would help. Maybe something is in the works, it's just not that clear to a casual follower.

As for the paid expansion idea, selling stuff that's open source is not going to work without any additional services or perks (licensing issues not considered). People would just download the source files, as that may be just as easy. The very small mobile operating system webOS suffered a similar issue, as its apps were very easy to copy and distribute illegally. webOS apps were built with open webtech, such as html, css, javascript. 0 A.D. mods are XML, javascript, and image files, making it similarly easy to copy a paid-for mod. It's very likely the limited gains do not warrant the costs.

• Like 3

Agrees on dvangennip. I mentioned the perks since the organization itself could be held by accountable by supporters (I myself don't mind getting the perk - the biggest perk I have is being able to join COM and playing 0 AD). The paid expansion I feel is not appropriate: one of our slogans is to develop a great RTS that is open source and free for life.

My idea is to have a marketplace like Unreal Tournament 2014 where people can sell their mods.Team Fotress has something similar.All mods code must be under an open source license and the most restrictive license allowed for mods and the mods assests is CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

Free means freedom aka libre not free beer aka gratis.

Cg cookie has something like this http://blendermarket.com/blender

Edited by oka
  • Like 1

My idea is to have a marketplace like Unreal Tournament 2014 where people can sell their mods.Team Fotress has something similar.All mods code must be under an open source license and the most restrictive license allowed for mods and the mods assests is CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

Free means freedom aka libre not free beer aka gratis.

Cg cookie has something like this http://blendermarket.com/blender

Not bad idea, but and the piracy ?

As a main contributor of mods I will say this is quite hard. Cause every thing I edited was either cc by sa 3.0 or gpl2 that means I have to find every other old dev ask them if they don't want their work to be commercial anymore.

Also I believe NC is non commercial so how do I am supposed to sell stuff with such a license ?

Edited by stanislas69

Allowed licenses for mods and their assets.

1. CC0
  2. CC-BY 4.0
  3. CC-BY-SA 4.0
  4. CC-BY-NC 4.0
  5. CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

Source Code must be under an open source license.

Your mods don't have to be commercial you can also host free mods in the marketplace.

Edited by oka

• 2 weeks later...

As a main contributor of mods I will say this is quite hard. Cause every thing I edited was either cc by sa 3.0 or gpl2 that means I have to find every other old dev ask them if they don't want their work to be commercial anymore.

Also I believe NC is non commercial so how do I am supposed to sell stuff with such a license ?

I said most restrictive license allowed is CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 .You are allowed to license under less restrictive licenses such as CC-BY-SA 4.0 If you own rights to the work or have permission form the author to sell than you can.

Edited by oka