0AD units upgrade

Enrique

8 hours ago, Itms said:

We desperately need those indeed. For the record, I think that something along the lines of kicking down doors was the best solution brought up. Currently some units use pitchforks, which looks a tad ridiculous. Some people were in favor of using the healing animation but that would look "magical" - however cheering with weapons and armor would be a nice addition to kicks and bumps.

Wouldn't the promotion animation fit better than the healing animation? (Might be confusing though)

1 hour ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

Wouldn't the promotion animation fit better than the healing animation? (Might be confusing though)

Promotion loop will be the capturing animation. That's why you don't see a specific "capture" animation in the roadmap.

Promotion animation will be triggered only once when a unit is actually promoted. IMO they would look silly with an animation loop kicking to the wall.

What I think it is needed is some kind of audio loop spawned where the building is being captured with the sounds of soldiers shouting/cheering noise. Maybe some other visual cues like the building flashing in a particular color or something. We don't have to rely on identifying which kind of animations the units are playing in order to know what is happening.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Enrique said:

Promotion loop will be the capturing animation. That's why you don't see a specific "capture" animation in the roadmap.

Promotion animation will be triggered only once when a unit is actually promoted. IMO they would look silly with an animation loop kicking to the wall.

What I think it is needed is some kind of audio loop spawned where the building is being captured with the sounds of soldiers shouting/cheering noise. Maybe some other visual cues like the building flashing in a particular color or something. We don't have to rely on identifying which kind of animations the units are playing in order to know what is happening.

Have 3 capture anim variations, like the ones in DE. They play these capture animations when capturing.

Building player color flashes back and forth as being captured. Can flash from player color to white and back (say, fades back and forth rapidly over about 1 or 2 seconds), or flash from player color to capturing player color (the one capturing it the most).

Also, play capturing sound FX. 1-5 soldier have individual cheers and yells, 6-15 have a "small crowd" sfx, 16-30 have a "medium crowd sfx, and 31+ have a "large crowd" sfx.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

More info about it:

Spoiler

Please note, ALL animation information gets recorded in the bones and we can start the simulation on any pose (so it can also have manual driven animation like puting the hands in the throat or where it is supposed to be hit etc..) plus it can be tweaked after converted to frames. This will save me TONS of time of manual animation for deaths variations.

I had to spend a lot of time on this but it's definitely worth it. I got really frustrated after attempting numerous cavalry horse animations that weren't achieving the quality I was looking for, but I think we can get really nice results with this. So only attack animations are left for cavalry now! :)

I hope you got a laugh watching de video :D

• Like 7

Just now, Enrique said:

More info about it:

Hide contents

Please note, ALL animation information gets recorded in the bones and we can start the simulation on any pose (so it can also have manual driven animation like puting the hands in the throat or where it is supposed to be hit etc..) plus it can be tweaked after converted to frames. This will save me TONS of time of manual animation for deaths variations.

I had to spend a lot of time on this but it's definitely worth it. I got really frustrated after attempting numerous cavalry horse animations that weren't achieving the quality I was looking for, but I think we can get really nice results with this. So only attack animations are left for cavalry now! :)

I hope you got a laugh watching de video :D

Will you share the blend ? :)
Light setup is nice too.

Anyways GREAT WORK cheers :D

Edited by stanislas69
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skhorn said:

That demonic possession :P

Is it possible to have animations given how they die? I mean, if a rock from a siege engine kills a unit would represent a different animation of death

Sadly no... This would allow for a lot of cool stuff like arrows/javs piercing bodies when dead from range attacks, heavy hits from elephants/cav charging... etc.

9 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Will you share the blend ? :)

Sure, will upload it to the repo when I'm done with it (I may have to add some extra bones to the horse still)

• Like 1

It's not slow motion, that's normal speed.

They look a bit like jelly because there's no way (or I couldn't figure out) how to create joints resistance to simulate muscle strength. I didn't want to spend more time with this either, so I stopped tweaking until I was happy enough with the results.

I don't think having death animations that takes a while until they're clearly dead in the ground is beneficial for a player that should know if his units are dying/losing a battle to be able to decide if he should retreat or not. I'm sure in reality there were a lot of times where the rider died and the horse just flee, or just stood there. Also rearing up on every death animation would look a bit stupid. @Lion.Kanzen Try imitating in front of a person a death by any type of weapon and ask them to tell you which type of weapon death you were imitating...

• Like 2

Please check how they did aoe2 ones in the following video (incredible play btw). Notice how the horses tumble as if they were hit hard from a side which is simply how a horse would lose balance and fall but could also look as if they were hit hard from one side.

Spoiler

• Like 1