0AD units upgrade

Enrique

On 4/16/2016 at 0:09 PM, Enrique said:

I stream on Twitch, I made some streamings for 0AD some months ago when doing trees and a bit of animations.

Here is the rough list of animations that I think must be present in the game:

Reveal hidden contents

Common:

-Seeding

-Mining

-Gather fruit

-Slaughter / cavalry slaughter

-Build

-Promotion / cavalry promotion

-Farmfield gather

-Chopping wood

-Treasure gather?

-Carry resources (same anm? different animation for each resource?)

-Death /cavalry death

Infantry:

For the sake of identifying units easier, infantry animations will be divided into the following types, each type will have different idles/rest positions as well as attack animations. Walk and run animations will be very similar between infantry types (and will be less work) but the arms position will vary depending of the weapons and props of the units.

These are the initial types I could think of:

Shield+sword, Shield+spear, Shield+javelin, Only Bow/Bow+shield, Only javelin, Hoplite, Pikemen, 2h weapon, Slinger

Each of this type of units will have its own variations of the following animations:

-Idle relax

-Idle ready

-walk relax

-walk ready

-run relax/slow/jogging

-run ready/charge

-Attack melee / ranged

-Custom deaths

Cavalry

Shield+sword, Shield+spear, Only spear, Shield+javelin, Only javelin, Bow

-Idle relax

-Idle ready

-Walk relax

-Walk ready

-Trot

-Charge

-Attack melee/ranged

-Custom deaths

Support:

-Healer crane walk/run

-Healing

-Trader walk /run

-Pushing siege?

-Mounting/dismounting siege?

-Firing siege?

Formations:

-Testudo:

-Front line idle/walk

-Back line(s) idle/walk

-Syntagma:

-Front line idle/walk/run/attack

-Medium line idle/walk/run

-Back line idle/walk/run

-Phalanx

-Phalanx idle/walk/run?

-Phalanx attack

Special:

-Howdah attack?

-Fake physics stunts?

-Hero Idles?

-Capturing/throw torches?

-Chariot riding?

I think I good point to bring up was the cav animation.  Right now, the unit moves at a gallop speed (faster then the infantry walk) but the animation was created for the speed of the infantry, so it is sped up and looks a tad weird.  Just a note, that the cavs' gallop animation needs to match its speed, not the infantrys'

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Also need variation for loose Indian-style pants or skirt that blouse below the knee, like the lungi or sarong. Men and woman variations.

Got any quick reference for this variation?

My focus at the moment is animations and new horses (I need them for cavalry unit animations) but a simple longer tunic variation should be easy enough.

Would the length on his right leg be enough? I could modify this variation to go all the way to the other leg as a tunic.

Spoiler

lcyR6M.gif

• Like 2

No, sir. The Indians "blouse" it up in the middle. I see if I can find good image to show.

EDIT:

Can have long version blouse above ankle:

32995-ram-and-lakshman.jpg

And short version blouse at knee:

821870bf21d1f83df8c98e94c11c7a18_f2871.p

(man on left of course, haha)
https://lurkerablog.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/20-13aogb-59-2007-kala-med-draget-sabel-og-i-uniform.jpg

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

8 hours ago, Enrique said:

Would the length on his right leg be enough? I could modify this variation to go all the way to the other leg as a tunic.

That would do for Millennium AD mod, thanks! Also, I'm sorry it this request will take some of your time.

We need the mesh for the Chinese, Arab and Norman units.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

@Enrique Any plans to add Jos3bv's anims ?

Yes, I won't be able to do any modifications to them though.

24 minutes ago, av93 said:

And possibility to add anims when one set is finished? I mean, for example, add spearman animations although other animations sets aren't finished (I know that could be modded easily)

Not sure if I understand correctly... You can add as many animation variants as you want for spearmen attacks for example, and it will pick one randomly. 

My goal is to have at least 1 variation for each animation type needed to apply and test and then make variations from there.

• Like 2

Just now, Enrique said:

Not sure if I understand correctly... You can add as many animation variants as you want for spearmen attacks for example, and it will pick one randomly. 

A lo que me referia es que si, independientemente de que todas las unidades tengan las animaciones hechas, si hay planes de añadir los sets cuando esten acabados. En otras palabras, si se acaban las animaciones de infanteria, aunque no esten finalizadas las de caballeria, se incluiran. O tendremos que esperar a que todos los sets esten hechos. (Puedes contestar en ingles)

2 hours ago, av93 said:

And possibility to add anims when one set is finished? I mean, for example, add spearman animations although other animations sets aren't finished (I know that could be modded easily)

I think what he means is say, add the spearmen anims, even though the swordsmen animations arent finished. To add animation sets one by one, not to wait to ALL the required animations for the game are finished. (translation I think)

9 minutes ago, av93 said:

A lo que me referia es que si, independientemente de que todas las unidades tengan las animaciones hechas, si hay planes de añadir los sets cuando esten acabados. En otras palabras, si se acaban las animaciones de infanteria, aunque no esten finalizadas las de caballeria, se incluiran. O tendremos que esperar a que todos los sets esten hechos. (Puedes contestar en ingles)

Animations being ready is much closer than you think. Once I have the basics now (as I do) only simple modifications for each type of equipment are yet to be done, even cavalry only have 2 or 3 different animations, so the only thing I would like to make is some horse walk/trot/galop for the cavalry, so it wouldn't be much wait. Also I think it would be more epic to just commit all new units regardless their role.

• Like 2

Just now, SeleucidKing said:

I think what he means is say, add the spearmen anims, even though the swordsmen animations arent finished. To add animation sets one by one, not to wait to ALL the required animations for the game are finished. (translation I think)

He's from Spain :P

Just now, Enrique said:

Animations being ready is much closer than you think. Once I have the basics now (as I do) only simple modifications for each type of equipment are yet to be done, even cavalry only have 2 or 3 different animations, so the only thing I would like to make is some horse walk/trot/galop for the cavalry, so it wouldn't be much wait. Also I think it would be more epic to just commit all new units regardless their role.

Okey, thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sanderd17 said:

Small note from the technical side: updating actors with new animation-prop combos should become easier. See the Athenian infantry files that have their civilian tasks split off already: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/18057

Look like modders have a lot of work in the near future. 

The code is still fully compatible with the old actor format (which is handy, as now I can update one batch at a time). And since actors had no inheritance whatsoever, it means they all operate on their own, so aren't affected by the changes I'm doing.

So if you don't want to change anything, it's not needed to change. But if you change it too (perhaps wait a bit until the dust has settled in SVN), the files will be a lot smaller and easier to create/maintain.

• Like 2

For modding  reasons can be nice adding  some type of models with different pants.

this I think is almost same unit actor

Spoiler

cfGq6Dj.jpg

gRWzkun.jpg

2m4xv1H.jpg

This can be nice for the second part of Millenium, the Renaissance units

And for later units.

Spoiler

z1Ehuz8.jpg

G9MsHVB.jpg

mk0A6RX.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

@Lion.Kanzen Shouldn't that be posted in their respective mod subforum? I'll just stick with the models needed for the main game for now, or I'll never finish with this.

Also remember, the blender file with the armature and basic unit model is in the first post of this thread. Any artist/modder can download it and tweak the model or make animations as desired. For any model that is rigged into the given armature, all the animations that will be in-game will work with it.

• Like 4

@Enrique But who have these skills?  If I post this in sub forum nobody can answer. We have a plane in the game and other fantasy units, so I don't see the problem, obviusly I'm not asking by my own need.

So we need await from more animators, we can learn but... After try to do an anthropomorphic model, to animate some expert say ago it's need learn about natural anatomy and how the human body moves.

so was simple suggest... So no problem.

i know the horses are more important because the old models aren't enough good right now,neither actual standard.

@Palaxin no offenses but the images looks tiny for me I will try to put in spoilers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sanderd17 said:

The code is still fully compatible with the old actor format (which is handy, as now I can update one batch at a time). And since actors had no inheritance whatsoever, it means they all operate on their own, so aren't affected by the changes I'm doing.

So if you don't want to change anything, it's not needed to change. But if you change it too (perhaps wait a bit until the dust has settled in SVN), the files will be a lot smaller and easier to create/maintain.

It is actually a very useful change. I just have a lot of custom actors and modded actiors that will need changing to accomodate the new capability. lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...