0AD units upgrade

Enrique

This is really a little bit offtopic and I'm sorry for furthering this discussion, but he has a point, IMO.

I'll just post it here instead of a making a new topic in the forum since this is just a very trivial matter.

On 2/27/2016 at 9:48 PM, Rahman 540 said:

I think someone need to share about 0 ad in fb fans page, cause not many people have write this topics :)

Yeah, the 0AD Facebook page was not that active lately. We would love to see more in-game screenshots and teasers posted on Facebook (The same goes for the 0AD profiles on other sites like ModDB/IndieDB, etc.) IMO, regular updates or things like these entice players who have never played the game for quite some time to play the game again (or even those who managed to try several of the past alphas but have quite forgotten about the game)

Things like seeing good screenshots and current gameplay makes you want to play the game again when you see them, and social networking sites are the best places where people can easily view and access it, almost everyone has them nowadays, and most people regularly checks them. :) (Specially in Fb, where, the things that you have liked appear on your friends/acquaintances home screen/timeline)

Edited by wackyserious
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to post and update and let you know that this task is not dead.

The new units are currently in the training camp learning some cool moves. Can't post every single animation done since the gifs would take forever to load but I made some so you can take a peek of what we have in stock.

Javelin attack:

Spoiler

output_UF64io.gif

Archer attack:

Spoiler

output_5z7jQg.gif

Walk cycle relax:

Spoiler

output_Ilaj0y.gif

Walk cycle ready:

Spoiler

output_wRIGct.gif

When I have some time I'll be streaming the process of the creation of animations for these new meshes if someone is interested, although it's much more boring than a modelling or sculpting session. I hope you like them.

You can also check Jos3BV work on female animations in this thread: 

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

@Enrique if You can streaming in YouTube can be nice. And if You have the list which animations are already done can be nice too, to get an idea.

I stream on Twitch, I made some streamings for 0AD some months ago when doing trees and a bit of animations.

Here is the rough list of animations that I think must be present in the game:

Spoiler

Common:

-Seeding

-Mining

-Gather fruit

-Slaughter / cavalry slaughter

-Build

-Promotion / cavalry promotion

-Farmfield gather

-Chopping wood

-Treasure gather?

-Carry resources (same anm? different animation for each resource?)

-Death /cavalry death

Infantry:

For the sake of identifying units easier, infantry animations will be divided into the following types, each type will have different idles/rest positions as well as attack animations. Walk and run animations will be very similar between infantry types (and will be less work) but the arms position will vary depending of the weapons and props of the units.

These are the initial types I could think of:

Shield+sword, Shield+spear, Shield+javelin, Only Bow/Bow+shield, Only javelin, Hoplite, Pikemen, 2h weapon, Slinger

Each of this type of units will have its own variations of the following animations:

-Idle relax

-Idle ready

-walk relax

-walk ready

-run relax/slow/jogging

-run ready/charge

-Attack melee / ranged

-Custom deaths

Cavalry

Shield+sword, Shield+spear, Only spear, Shield+javelin, Only javelin, Bow

-Idle relax

-Idle ready

-Walk relax

-Walk ready

-Trot

-Charge

-Attack melee/ranged

-Custom deaths

Support:

-Healer crane walk/run

-Healing

-Trader walk /run

-Pushing siege?

-Mounting/dismounting siege?

-Firing siege?

Formations:

-Testudo:

-Front line idle/walk

-Back line(s) idle/walk

-Syntagma:

-Front line idle/walk/run/attack

-Medium line idle/walk/run

-Back line idle/walk/run

-Phalanx

-Phalanx idle/walk/run?

-Phalanx attack

Special:

-Howdah attack?

-Fake physics stunts?

-Hero Idles?

-Capturing/throw torches?

-Chariot riding?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Enrique said:

Just wanted to post and update and let you know that this task is not dead.

The new units are currently in the training camp learning some cool moves. Can't post every single animation done since the gifs would take forever to load but I made some so you can take a peek of what we have in stock.

Javelin attack:

Reveal hidden contents

output_UF64io.gif

Archer attack:

Reveal hidden contents

output_5z7jQg.gif

Walk cycle relax:

Reveal hidden contents

output_Ilaj0y.gif

Walk cycle ready:

Reveal hidden contents

output_wRIGct.gif

When I have some time I'll be streaming the process of the creation of animations for these new meshes if someone is interested, although it's much more boring than a modelling or sculpting session. I hope you like them.

You can also check Jos3BV work on female animations in this thread: 

Those animations are gorgeous!

Edited by Andrettin

Those are gorgeous Enrique.

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fgifmaker.me%2Ffiles%2Fdownload%2Fhome%2F20160415%2F22%2Fddvhfwo2WpjnsaiUjZL6Pg%2Foutput_Ilaj0y.gif&key=83152c2ba21a66a59f8331f1854a833549dc3e858224ade79722f65d0e4263ab

I think this one the left arm, shield arm could be a little stiffer. The shield would weigh somethinks like 10kg (!). These are wondrous though. They have swagger and attitude.

The "walk ready" could maybe use when unit in defensive stance. (which bring up I really think stances need reduced and improved to just Stand Ground, Defensive, and Aggressive). Or use that ready animation when enemy unit in vision range? Can have range-base animations eventually?

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The "walk ready" could maybe use when unit in defensive stance. (which bring up I really think stances need reduced and improved to just Stand Ground, Defensive, and Aggressive). Or use that ready animation when enemy unit in vision range? Can have range-base animations eventually?

Toggling between "relax" and "ready" idles/walk/run cycles when enemies are nearby or on sight is a feature in my wish list. So ideally they would get in combat position by themselves. I think this would make units look more alive and realistic.

If this feature cannot be implemented, I hope at least to be able to use it when the units are tasked to attack or like you mentioned when a defensive stance is used.

I agree with your critique on the walk cycle. Also the plan is to have different walk cycles depending on the equipement of the unit, specially the "walk/run ready" cycles

• Like 4