How much RAM does the game require?

Genghis

Any app that uses OpenGL will be slow in a virtual machine accelerated video is very hard to do using virtual architectures,I find that it runs just fine with only 2Gb under Win7 32 bit.Just added two 4Gb sticks yesterday so can't wait to see if my local build works been having an issue with a seg fault in the video driver.

Enjoy the Choice :)

why.. would you play games on a virtual machine, a windows operating system i can understand (Some games don't run well with WINE, Etc) but... ubuntu? Linux? For what purpose? You won't get viruses on any linux Operating system o.O

oh and, Ubuntu is a debian derivative, if you can get a game to run on ubuntu, you can get it to work on debian, period.

Edit: unless you are using an OLD Debian, I guess.

Edited by auron2401

On my system the game is playable in a Linux VM, in fact the framerate is higher than on Windows but it doesn't look as good. It all comes down to what drivers the VM provides (I have VMWare Workstation, VirtualBox is sadly far behind in most aspects that I've seen), what level of virtualization it has and the underlying host's hardware. I would check what graphics drivers it's using in the Linux guest, if it's software GL rendering, then it will be very slow indeed. Input lag is potentially going to be annoying too, as it's having to go through an extra layer.

It can't run over ~1.5 GB (2 Gigs technically) in Windows anyway because it's only 32-bit. Ubuntu is also a very heavy Linux operating system with lots of overhead. If you tried something like Elementary, Arch, or Linux Mint in the VM i'm sure it would run faster (Linux Mint also has enhanced support for running inside VirtualBox).

I have Linux Mint on my laptop, and it runs just fine (even on an old Intel 945GM). I haven't tried in VirtualBox though, but I will soon.

@historic_bruno: just out of curiosity, what host and guest OS are you using (and what VM software?)